New to boat motors

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sg47619

Reaction score
I’ve j purchased a pontoon with a 25 horse engine on it that hasn’t been run in two years. What should I do before trying to start it ?
Thanks in advance.

Better answers then mine will come along, but clean out the gas tank, fuel line carb if it has one. Change the water pump impeller. Change the lower unit oil. and if it's a 4 stroke the eng oil too.

Pull the spark plugs and spray fogging oil or some other lubricant into the cylinders and slowly turn the motor over.

Thanks for all the advice, the guy backed out on the deal so I’m still looking. The advice will come in handy when I do buy one.
Thanks again

While you're in looking mode...recommend doing some YouTube searches on outboard motor repair, specifically with regard to starting a long-silent outboard. There's an awesome aount of good info out there.

If I had to pick one channel to start with, it would be Dangar Marine. Stu is the guy's name; he lives in Australia. Stu hasn't posted any new YouTube content in a long time, but his old vids are still there. He's an excellent explainer. For interesting and informative content on outboards, I recommend his Outboard Maintenance Playlist.

Latest posts