New to the Forum 2 part Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSC

Reaction score
I got my boat back from Fishon Fabrications, i had the front and rear decks put on plus the transom replaced. Im finally getting to the point of carpet and paint and have a few questions.

1. On the new aluminum decks that im going to carpet should i prime and paint them or would it be ok just to carpet them.

2. I know the usual process for painting aluminum is clean, wash down acetone, scuff old paint, self etching primer. My question is has anyone used Zinsser Cover Stain Primer (stain blocker, bond coat), i have had 2 people locally that ive talked to suggest it and i was wondering if anyone has used it on a boat.

Thanks for any feedback...

What is the point in painting the deck if its just going to get carpeted over.

Thank you for the reply, that was my thinking but my boss suggested at least putting primer on it to protect the aluminum.

Any other suggestion/comments are greatly appreciated...

In case anyone was wondering about Zinsser primer/paints, i contacted them here is the reply....

Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

Our Zinsser primers are only designed for topside areas not boat bottoms. Unfortunately we do not offer any primer that would be recommended for the boat bottom. We recommend contacting our sister company Pettit Paints for a boat bottom primer.

Pettit Paints
800-221-4466

Kevin K.

To help expedite your response, please reply directly to this e-mail without making any changes to the Subject line.

Just carpet them. There will be no resulting damage to the aluminum. My Dad's Skeeter SX200 has aluminum deck lids for all of the compartments. It's 11 years old and the carpet needs replacing. The aluminum that was covered by the carpet is in great shape with no signs of corrosion. When carpeting don't use indoor/outdoor carpet glue. It will only hold for about 2-3 years. Instead use a good contact cement. Be very precise when using contact cement because once it sticks its there ( almost, very little room for error ). Don't use cheap hook and loop indoor/outdoor carpet either. It doesn't last and if you get a hook in it, it will rip out the entire runner. ( a big letdown to a bunch of hard work ) A good marine grade carpet should last 8 - 10 years. If you take your time everything will turn out great and your buddies will be jealous of your boats interior vs. theirs.

Just carpet - no need to pait

That is why we but alum boats - no need to do much at all (unless you want to look purty)

Thanks for the input. The carpet is coming on Monday (from Cabelas), today im getting started on sand/primer/paint the outside. Parker paint (bay grey) arrived yesterday so now I can finally get started.. Ill post some pics once I get the time to sit down and figure out how :)

Safe way to remove the registration sticker from the outside of the boat?

13 hours later the outside is all sanded :)

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350320#p350320 said:
MikeSC » 27 Apr 2014, 17:51[/url]"]Safe way to remove the registration sticker from the outside of the boat?

Sounds like you used the same method that I used to remove mine.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350321#p350321 said:
rscottp » 27 Apr 2014, 17:54[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350320#p350320 said:
MikeSC » 27 Apr 2014, 17:51[/url]"]Safe way to remove the registration sticker from the outside of the boat?

Sounds like you used the same method that I used to remove mine.

A good ole fashion sander and some 80 grit sand paper :) Rain here they are saying the next 3 days so I doubt ill get anything else done...

I need to locate Monark stickers unless I can salvage the ones on the boat...

Taking suggestions for where to mount the trolling motor to the front deck, left, right, or center it?

Attachments

• rsz_front_deck.jpg
    rsz_front_deck.jpg
    807.5 KB · Views: 703