Odd tools.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are lots of "odd" tools; specialty tools in various disciplines. When I first read the thread, I had a hard time thinking of any "odd" tools I have in my woodworking shop and the modest collection of hand tools I have that I use for general "mechanicing."

As for the granite table saw tops: I don't think anybody makes them anymore. They were a "thing" for a while about 10-15 years ago, but fell out of favor as they were easy to chip or even crack, and the manufacturers had a high loss rate for tops that cracked before they could get them to the point of sale. Granite tops were known, though for their ability to absorb vibration in a machine. None of my big machines have granite tops; they're all cast iron.

When I moved from the old Craftsman table saw to the Jet ProShop the reduction in vibration was incredible. The table saw, outfield table/workbench, and Oneida dust collector are going to one of my sons as soon as I reconfigure my garage cabinets

When I was knee deep in woodworking, SawStop was the newer kid on the block with their unique safety feature. It was pretty incredible watching the guy put his finger in the spinning blade. I'm not sure how they are doing this many years later but expect they have a pretty decent share of the market.

If I did it right, here is the old video where the inventor tests the safety feature with his finger.

Trying to keep this thread going. Maybe we should add old fishing gear.

The following are not odd, but they are old.

The Disston panel saw on the left is from about 1920. I still use it occasionally when I can't use the version that plugs in.

The Simonds saw on the right is a rip saw. It has a Winchester Medallion. I know Winchester tools rebranded Simonds, but this saw still says Simonds on the blade. It should be pre- 1930. I don't use it (my shoulder would probably fall off).

The draw knife has been hanging unused for about 40 years. It will likely remain that way until I give it away.

View attachment 123361View attachment 123362
Ahhhh..the draw knife..I remember the first time I used my Dads, kinda scary to the twig and berries !!

Latest posts