Outboard engine test

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pescatore

Reaction score
Good morning,
I've just converted my 25hp Yamaha outboard from tiller to remote and I'd like to test it. I do not have a tank so yesterday I put the engine submerged bywater up to half of the shaft in a trash can. Result...whe I shift into gear a lot of water came off.
I was wandering, despite use a higher trash can, do u think that is going to be a problem if I run the engine without the propeller on to limit water displacement???

You can run the outboard in a trash can with out the prop. But I would not put it in gear. If the motor runs and it will shift into forward and reverse then there isn't much more to test.
I'd be interested in seeing pics of your conversion. I have to take two bolts out to take the tiller handle off and I need to find the piece to put on the arm to connect the steering linkage. I have a 40hp Yamaha that I am thinking I might convert from tiller to remote. I can barely hang on to it at WOT and making a turn. It wants to dang near throw me out of the boat.

The shift cable works but I want to test the throttle cable.
that's why I want to run the engine . Other option would be to put the boat in the water but I was try to see if i can avoid it ( river is 30 min drive and Iit would be disappointing to find out that I need some more work at that point :( )
I'll post pick of the motor as soon as possible.

pescatore said:
The shift cable works but I want to test the throttle cable.
that's why I want to run the engine . Other option would be to put the boat in the water but I was try to see if i can avoid it ( river is 30 min drive and Iit would be disappointing to find out that I need some more work at that point :( )
I'll post pick of the motor as soon as possible.

If you know it shifts then why not test the throttle in Neutral? If you can increase/decrease the RPMs by 100RPM or so running then you could test full open/close of the throttle with the motor not running. If you are trying to run WOT then I wouldn't even consider it without it in a proper test tank or lake.

The control box is a single lever so I cannot pull the throttle without engaging the shift.
Anyway, I will test it in the river to play on the safe side

bring a paddle #-o

i'd personally just put it in the can and let the water fling. it'll only take a second to see if its working or not, not long enough to over heat anything. if you take the prop off be carefull it will over rev quick and easy

If you put the motor in a can and run it 1/2 full or more you can engage the prop and run the throtle up. Yes water will splash ou everywhere, but it will not hurt it. But does your remote not have the neutral rev. switch? You should be able to leave the motor in neutral and push the center of the lever and then engage just the throttle and not put it in gear.

Here there are some pics of the tiller to remore conversion with some details about the connection from steering cable to the motor.
BTW I have run it into the trash can (the taller one) and worked fine, I left the garden hose pouring water into the can while i was testing it and that was enough to replace the water (at least for the couple of min I run the engine).

Attachments

• DSCN0289.jpg
    DSCN0289.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCN0290.jpg
    DSCN0290.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCN0291.jpg
    DSCN0291.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCN0292.jpg
    DSCN0292.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCN0293.jpg
    DSCN0293.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 753
  • DSCN0294.jpg
    DSCN0294.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 753
Wow great job! That is totally different than mine. I would have to do something completely different. Thanks for the pics. Glad to hear that it works good and that you don't have any problems.

Latest posts