Powering your home during power outages

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just addressing the no flame when cooking with NG due to the NG generator sucking up too much. You have to plan out your line into the house accordingly. Same when it comes to those newer instant hot water heaters. They need a lot of gas to develop those 200,000 BTU. You need a 2 or 2.5" line to handle the draw.

Just addressing the no flame when cooking with NG due to the NG generator sucking up too much. You have to plan out your line into the house accordingly. Same when it comes to those newer instant hot water heaters. They need a lot of gas to develop those 200,000 BTU. You need a 2 or 2.5" line to handle the draw.
That makes sense. I just spoke to my neighbor who is looking into the propane standby and and he said bulk price is just over $2.00. Not sure how much over though.

In my area, propane is fairly cheap compared to other fuels, we have a number of refineries in our area which helps lower the propane cost. Here in the cold winter the NG folks have to inject propane into the NG lines to keep pressure up, otherwise the NGwill stop flowing with enough pressure to work. When we were getting quotes for generators, whatever size genny I needed to run my household was quoted to burn 25 gallons per day to keep my home operational. When others have no power at all, or are running around filling gas cans, the less than two bucks a gallon for propane sounds like a bargain.

My propane line that feeds my home, with heat, hot water and gas dryer is 1/8" diameter.....gas company claims I could run two homes off that same 1/8" line !
My propane water heater recovers far faster than my NG water heater ever did..
Our clothes dryer is far quicker than our NG dryer ever was....propane has been far superior fuel.

In my area, propane is fairly cheap compared to other fuels, we have a number of refineries in our area which helps lower the propane cost. Here in the cold winter the NG folks have to inject propane into the NG lines to keep pressure up, otherwise the NGwill stop flowing with enough pressure to work. When we were getting quotes for generators, whatever size genny I needed to run my household was quoted to burn 25 gallons per day to keep my home operational. When others have no power at all, or are running around filling gas cans, the less than two bucks a gallon for propane sounds like a bargain.
Been there for sure searching for gas I was running a 2800 Yamaha inverter and burning 5-6 gallons a day for Ida. I could have drained the boats but didn’t want to unless I had to. Another plus for diesel over gas is there were no shortages and no lines at the diesel only pumps

Latest posts