Powering your home during power outages

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least I have enough common sense not to touch things I don't understand.
I’d like to say that about myself. However, I’m the guy that would hit a big red “DO NOT TOUCH” button just to see what happened.

On the plus side (maybe), that’s how I found myself in the middle of a tin boat rebuild and working on a motor that is a year older than I am.

The biggest problem with suicide cords are they they will hang around after you're gone, and there's no telling who will get 'hold of it.

Roger
HUH??? NO... NEVER hard-wire them!

ALWAYS make them so they plug into a stove or dryer outlet on one end and into the generator on the other end, and of course, unplug them when done.

HUH??? NO... NEVER hard-wire them!

ALWAYS make them so they plug into a stove or dryer outlet on one end and into the generator on the other end, and of course, unplug them when done.
Thill, I suspect you didn't follow my train of thought.
When you/we pass on, you/we will not have the opportunity to disassemble that cord, and someone who isn't quite as common sense abundant as the guy who made it might not understand the sequence of operations. That's what my quoted post meant.

Roger

Last edited:
Got it. That makes more sense.

I have a laminated instruction sheet zip-tied to mine showing the proper sequence. It's as follows:
1. Turn off the large main power breaker at the top of the circuit panel
2. Turn off the 240 circuit labeled "welder."
3. Plug the power cable into the generator and then into the welder's plug
4. Start the generator and let it warm up for a few minutes,
5. Turn on the "welder" circuit breaker to power the house.

Shut down is similar, but in reverse order. Shut off the generator, completely unplug the cord, turn on breakers, turn on main.

I did this in case we had an outage when I wasn't home. My wife can do it easily with our electric start generator. I make sure she practices while I watch to be sure.

When I ran the generator in to the panel, I had to remove the ground-neutral bonding at the generator, since it is bonded at the panel. To use it in stand alone mode for using the 110 and 220 outlets, I have a twist lock plug that ties the neutral and ground back together. It has been too long since I did it, to remember why it was important to do that. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_0456.jpeg
    IMG_0456.jpeg
    116.3 KB
When I ran the generator in to the panel, I had to remove the ground-neutral bonding at the generator, since it is bonded at the panel. To use it in stand alone mode for using the 110 and 220 outlets, I have a twist lock plug that ties the neutral and ground back together. It has been too long since I did it, to remember why it was important to do that. :rolleyes:
I'll have to look into this when I install an interlock in my panel.

IIRC the most gasoline you can transport without undo regulations is 400 pounds. At roughly 8 pounds per gallon that's 50 gallons. If you're thinking you can use a 55 gallon drum the container cannot be capable of holding more than 400 pounds of gasoline. But in an emergency situation who's really going to be checking. Currently gasoline is $2.98 a gallon for regular that 50 gallons is $149.00 or $164.00 for 55 gallons.

Last edited:
Got it. That makes more sense.

I have a laminated instruction sheet zip-tied to mine showing the proper sequence. It's as follows:
1. Turn off the large main power breaker at the top of the circuit panel
2. Turn off the 240 circuit labeled "welder."
3. Plug the power cable into the generator and then into the welder's plug
4. Start the generator and let it warm up for a few minutes,
5. Turn on the "welder" circuit breaker to power the house.

Shut down is similar, but in reverse order. Shut off the generator, completely unplug the cord, turn on breakers, turn on main.

I did this in case we had an outage when I wasn't home. My wife can do it easily with our electric start generator. I make sure she practices while I watch to be sure.
I’m set up exactly the same with a 50 amp welding plug on the shed. I’m the only one who handles it. My wife won’t even think about trying to learn.
One thing I noticed is I can weld aluminum better with my machine connected to 240.

Are you saying you don't like to try and " lets just see what happens" ????
My house was built in 1959 or so. The wiring has no color coding and I confess I have no tester. So I made my own, I took a pigtail and plugged in a bulb, flipped the switch and bam, she blew! So I reversed the wires, added the light fixture I bought, and all was good! No ground wire to connect it to, nothing. I call myself Mr. Half-*** when it comes to electrical and plumbing issues. I can do a few tasks but I much prefer paying an expert.

Latest posts