Raritan River near New Brunswick

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leelatt

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the water in this area? I'm taking the boat there saturday, launching from the boat ramp at Donaldson park, haven't fished it yet, hoping to get some tips, will update this post saturday evening with any catches or lack there of.

How did you do? I launch out of Donaldson Park occaisonally and fish. I've caught smallmouth, largemouth and stripers in that area. Although I've never had awesome days fishing there, the water certainly does look "bassy"...

How did you make out?

Not good unfortunately, didn't catch a thing and got caught in some small showers. Had plenty of bites with the Canadian night crawlers, but couldn't hook a single fish, not sure if they were just nibbling on it, or if it was small fish that the hooks were too big for. Was using size 4 hooks.

I've seen plenty of videos on youtube of people pulling out 30lb carp from the river, so I tried the whole trebble hook and dough/catfish bait with a bit of chumming and no luck at all with that. One of the main reasons I wanted to try the Raritan, I keep hearing how Carp are awesome fighting fish and wanted to give it a go since I'm used to catching pickerel, crappie and small cat fish, I've yet to catch a real bass. I'm also hoping to find a good place nearby for muskie and pike.

tried poppers, top water pencil lures, Texas rig, Alabama rig, shaky heads, creature baits, crank baits, jigs, plastic worms and lizards and crayfish but nothing was working.

tried to go up river but it got to a depth of 6 inches so couldn't go further. from the calcium and water mark on the rocks it looks like the river was down 6 or 7 feet, standing on my boat I could almost touch the water line on the wall.

went down river a little later in the day under the bridges of rt1 (Donald Goodkind bridge) fish were jumping very often and they were large fish, saw several cat fish as well but couldn't get anything to chase or bite. Fish finder showed tons of them hanging in depths 8 to 14ft.

overall it was an ok day, I mainly wanted to test out the motor which I kept having problems with all day, hopefully I'll figure out what's wrong with it this weekend.
it's a 1996 15HP evinrude and at full speed we were barely moving, a guy in a 20ft center console grizzly went flying by with a 9.9 on the back of his which was one of the many indications.

I'm gonna go back June 1st weekend and try going down river for the entire day and see if I have any better luck.

Latest posts