Reelfoot Lake March 24-28th

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
Hey Guys! I'm Back!

Welp, We got there Monday around 1 or 2 in the afternoon. We first thought we weren't going to get to fish til the next day, Since you have to buy another permit to fish from Reelfoot since its a preserve, but they said as long as we fished from their property at the place we were staying it would be fine.

So we went out that evening(Monday 24th) from the bank just throwing artificial stuff(tubes, curly tail grubs, etc). They've got these "ditches" that they dig so the boats won't have to be right out in the main lake...and its pretty neat place to fish at the mouth of these cuz they are a good 4-5 ft deep that run into the main part of the lake. So that evening(from about 6-8pm) we caught 8 crappie, a few small yellow bass, and my brother caught one catfish about 4lbs(which we let go cuz we didn't have any skinners at the time). This first evening spoiled us cuz we thought if we did this in 2hrs that we should slay them the rest of the week from a boat and full days of fishing, but the weather had them messed up.

Day one's catch...
DCP_0002.jpg

The 2nd day(tuesday) we got out about 7-8 o'clock and got our boat loaded up and headed out. We fished for about an hour or so but the wind was howling something awful. A good 15-20mph winds with up to 30mph gusts...so in those 16' jonboats we didn't have a prayer. We headed back in and just tried to wait it out til that evening. The wind died down some throughout the day, but was still blowing some but we managed to fish from the bank some more and ended up with another descent stringer throughout the day.

DCP_0005.jpg

Wednesday was an excellent day to be on the water. Just a slight breeze, partly cloudy so we got bursts of sun everynow and then, and warm. We took two boats out today and fished around some and caught most of our fish tied off and anchored out from a public pier that was just up from where we were staying. We came in for a little while for lunch wednesday and cleaned the fish we had caught the day before and the ones we had caught so far...heres a pic of those(tuesday and first part of wed.)...

DCP_0007.jpg

I didn't get anymore fish pics, because most of them were just caught here and there throughout the day. We didn't catch many more after lunch wednesday, and thursday was pretty rough...the wind had picked back up before that front coming in. So we didn't get out on the boat much. That evening the wind died down some and we fished off of that pier we had anchored at the day before. We caught 3 off of it that evening thursday.

As you can see, we caught quite a few of those yellow bass too. They ate just as good as the crappie....we fried some of them and the crappie up wednesday night for supper for our efforts.:D Chartreuse was definetly the color for that lake...we used chart. hair jigs tipped with minnows. The fish were kind of slow still this week. Most everyone else we talked to were having a rough time too.....some did good to catch 1-2 fish while they were out. So I think we faired pretty well all things considered. If we could've hit it about 1 1/2-2weeks later we probably would've been right on time for the spawn. Because you could tell they weren't really coming up into the shallows great quite yet. But again, All in all it was a great trip, if nothing else just to get away. And we still ended up catching quite a few fish throughout the week. But we definetly plan on going back sometime and hope to hit it a little closer next time. Here are a few of the scenary pics I took thurs. and friday morning before we left.

DCP_0008.jpg

Directly off of the pier I mentioned....
DCP_0009.jpg

DCP_0010.jpg

DCP_0011.jpg

DCP_0012.jpg

This "ditch" that I had mentioned...
DCP_0013.jpg

DCP_0014.jpg

DCP_0015.jpg

This was everywhere around the lake....
DCP_0016.jpg