Replaced ignition, now won't start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swmohunter

Reaction score
First I would like to say, please excuse my ignorance.

I have a 1973 Evinrude 25hp model 25353 tiller steer. I would like to start by saying before I changed the ignition switch, the motor had not been giving me any trouble getting started (except once in frigid weather).

I had to replace the ignition switch the other day due to the key breaking off in the ignition. (Here is where the ignorant part comes in) I tried to replace it with an auto ignition switch. I found out after trying to start the motor several times that I needed a marine ignition switch. I have since replaced it with a marine ignition switch (same make/model as the one that was working to begin with) and am certain that I have the wires connected correctly.

The motor will turn over just fine but it will not fire.

My question would be, could I have burnt up, shorted out, or destroyed any parts while using the auto ignition? If so, where would I need to start as far as looking for what damage I may have caused?

As you can tell, I am new to marine problem solving.

I also know that I need a manual and have one coming. What better way to learn than to learn by making mistakes, right?

Thank you for any help you may be able to give me.

Nathan

I also know that I need a manual and have one coming. What better way to learn than to learn by making mistakes, right?

thats by far the best way to learn

are you getting fire at your plugs? take them out and have a buddy hold one tight while you turn it over :mrgreen: . or you can just ground it against the engine block

My guess would be that something is NOT wired corectly, even though your sure you do have it correct. OR something has happened when putting it back in. Have you checked the kill switch? Are the wires to the ignition switch screwed on or are they pushed on with wire connectors? Perhaps some of the wires are corroded and not making a connection? Perhaps the other end of the wires were accidently removed. I know a guy on here that put his switch back in and tried to get his working, only to find out he wired his kill switch back in to itself.

I am going to go back and look over everything again. I know I had a spark with the auto ignition but have not checked since I put the marine switch on. I have let it sit for a few days. Hopefully it has fixed itself and we will be off and running. That or the obvious will jump out and bite me since it has had some time.

Good luck and keep us posted. We can help you figure it out...but is always hard over the internet.