Replacing seats (rivets, aluminum channel) help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crallyworld

Reaction score
Hey all.

I have a 12 foot aluminum boat that needs the wood on the seats replaced. I have done minimal work on boats before, so I need help. The wood is riveted with aluminum rivets and sits in an aluminum channel.

Is there a way that I can go about replacing the wood without replacing the channels? Also, whst rivets should I use? When replacing these, do I need to completely replace all of the hardware?

I would like the final product to look as similar as the initial (in terms of hardware) as possible, though I'm not against doing it a different way. Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.

20240718_151330.jpg20240718_151320.jpg20240718_151311.jpg20240718_151306.jpg

Hey all.

I have a 12 foot aluminum boat that needs the wood on the seats replaced. I have done minimal work on boats before, so I need help. The wood is riveted with aluminum rivets and sits in an aluminum channel.

Is there a way that I can go about replacing the wood without replacing the channels? Also, whst rivets should I use? When replacing these, do I need to completely replace all of the hardware?

I would like the final product to look as similar as the initial (in terms of hardware) as possible, though I'm not against doing it a different way. Any and all help is welcomed and appreciated.

View attachment 121822View attachment 121823View attachment 121824View attachment 121825

Anyone have any ideas? Can I get different pictures thst would be more helpful? Is this the wrong forum to post in?

Drill out the rivets using smallest bit possible. Remove old plywood seats. It looks like aluminum channel or angle on the edges of the ply. I can't tell what is holding it on but see it coming loose in at least one place. Once the old seats are off, maybe you can remove the edging and apply it to the new plywood seats. If not, you can use simply aluminum angle on the front and back edges. Doing that protects the ply edge and is more comfortable. I would consider using stainless steel screws to reinstall the new ply seats. Best practice would probably be aluminum pop rivets.

Th
Drill out the rivets using smallest bit possible. Remove old plywood seats. It looks like aluminum channel or angle on the edges of the ply. I can't tell what is holding it on but see it coming loose in at least one place. Once the old seats are off, maybe you can remove the edging and apply it to the new plywood seats. If not, you can use simply aluminum angle on the front and back edges. Doing that protects the ply edge and is more comfortable. I would consider using stainless steel screws to reinstall the new ply seats. Best practice would probably be aluminum pop rivets.
This is EXACTLY the advice I was looking for. Thank you so much! I'll check what we have for screws in our giant box of them.

Thank you!

Th

This is EXACTLY the advice I was looking for. Thank you so much! I'll check what we have for screws in our giant box of them.

Thank you!

I forgot to say welcome to TinBoats! The resources here are incredible.

If you decide to go with screws, it is important to use only stainless.

You could glue some wood strips to the plywood edges so the channel could be eliminated. Even better would be using a nice piece of Mahogany with finnished edges. SS fasteners and your good to go.

This is when my kids would say I'm being a buzz kill. You didn't ask about it, and I hope I'm wrong, but I think it is possible that board across the inside of the transom was added by someone. If so, it was probably to address a problem with the transom wood. You might want to check that out.

Definitely look at that transom, and do not use any pressure treated wood, it attacks aluminum.

If the wood is still strong, how about sanding and refinishing it with some good spar varnish?

If its rotted, a more permanent fix would be some expanded PVC cut to fit, (Azec or similar)
Its not cheap but its forever and requires no paint.

Rivets on a boat like that which are not through the hull can be replaced with stainless machine screws, but I think I'd want original type buck rivets on anything that goes through the exterior of the hull.