Rivets?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lgpjr49

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new guy to the forum and had some questions about rivets. #1 how do you instal a rivet and what tool does that require. #2 do different rivets work with different scenarios, so some rivets connectin just aluminum or some connecting wood and aliminum, like on a transom? I just wanted to get some basic knowledge of them before I start my build on a Lowe 1448 that has some loose,missing, or whatever else I'm sure is wrong with them rivets

How it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aoXmzdSf_I

Tool that is used:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPwNsQMnx88

I would use bolts on a transom.

If you want some extra insurance on holes below the waterline, coat the shaft in 5200 before setting the rivet. I had to drill one out yesterday that I did that way and it was a trip getting it out even after drilling the head off.

If you did rivet the transom on, you would probably need larger rivets that are to be set by a pneumatic tool rather than the manual hand gun. Something to consider.

Okay thanks for the advice. 2 more questions, #1 where would I get a rivet tool, lowes home depot etc, #2 what is the 5200 stuff I keep hearing about and were could I get that as well?

Picked mine up at northern tool. You can get them at Lowes/Home Depot. 5200 is a below the water line sealent.

walmart, academy, homedepot, lowes. It is a 3M product, 3M 5200 Marine sealant. be sure to take lots of pictures, i want to see this boat when youre finished. :mrgreen:

I will, it's a slow process being a college kid with very little funds to spread around, so they maybe far between pictures haha

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=363337#p363337 said:
lgpjr49 » 14 Aug 2014, 16:43[/url]"]I will, it's a slow process being a college kid with very little funds to spread around, so they maybe far between pictures haha

I wish I could say the process speeds up when you're out of college and actually have the funds, but it doesn't, It just turns into lack of time.
I hope your boat turns out nice, just be careful with it. If you're not sure what you're doing get some help from someone who does know, you will be trusting that boat with your life. When I was in college we rigged up so much stuff on our duck boats & we had no clue what we were doing. It's a wonder we never sank one!

My boat is a Lowe 1448 from 1987, I got it free from my grandpa with a 88 Johnson 25. It's used as my duck/farm pond fishing boat. The transom is rotten and from a post I put up early I had someone explain from my picture how to take it off and repair it step by step. With all my experiences working on a farm, I'm not to worried about puttin it back together, it's just the going ahead and starting. Plus I was gonna get te river tool and some rivets and go start attaching other things with it to get some practice before I start on the boat.

Latest posts