samzerelli's 1649 flat bottom overhaul

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that boat looks clean, I'm envious of your space to redo your trailer like that...I'm stuck in an apartment complex with no space or a yard to redo my trailer...very clean and nice job thus far! =D>

Thanks for the comments everybody. I plan to have my buddy help me start measuring the decking soon. I want to cut a hatch or two in and then use this marine vinyl on it:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10918|311409|311410&id=23740

Thanks for the comments everybody. I plan to have my buddy help me start measuring the decking soon. I want to cut a hatch or two in and then cover it with this marine vinyl from Defender.com that looks like carpet:

Overall project came out great so far... did you add the side guides on your trailer? i am looking for something like that.

slipsinker said:
Overall project came out great so far... did you add the side guides on your trailer? i am looking for something like that.

Yes I did. I think they were around $120 at Bass Pro. I haven't tried them out yet, but they came highly recommended from some other fishermen.

https://www.basspro.com/C-E--Smith-Bunk-Board-GuideOn-Kit/product/1071/115296

I have been rethinking my deck plans. With having young kids on board, I want to have as much low-level standing area as possible. So now I'm thinking of extending the front bench back about 17" to give a little more space there for a pedestal seat, and then making a little storage compartment beneath it. Something like this:

dvYH0.png

looks great, i am looking for a similiar project. if you dont mind me asking, about how much green backs you got wrapepd up into it?

samzerelli said:
I have been rethinking my deck plans. With having young kids on board, I want to have as much low-level standing area as possible. So now I'm thinking of extending the front bench back about 17" to give a little more space there for a pedestal seat, and then making a little storage compartment beneath it. Something like this:

dvYH0.png

Your build is looking good! Is something like this what you had in mind?

Attachments

• frontdeck.jpg
    frontdeck.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,332
Lowe Rider said:
looks great, i am looking for a similiar project. if you dont mind me asking, about how much green backs you got wrapepd up into it?

I'm afraid to come out of denial and add it up :lol: I went pretty overkill.

I spent $200 with the welder, and bought the following (at least this is what comes to mind):
Rivets
JB Weld Industroweld (x2)
Gluv-It
Lots of paint remover
Lots of self-etching primer
Lots of Rustoleum paint
Trailer parts - bearings, bearing buddiestires, winch, coupler, chains, grease, primer, paint, guide-ons
Wood, screws, glue
Wire wheels, paint brushes
Fire extinguisher
Seat posts, bases, pedestals

Like I said, I'm afraid to add it up, I could have probably bought a new one :lol:

I paid $725 for the boat and motor, so I probably still ended up coming out ahead, plus I have the satisfaction of doing it myself.

gillhunter said:

file.php

Exactly! Except I might put a little door on mine. Is yours removable or did you bolt it down?

samzerelli said:
gillhunter said:

file.php

Exactly! Except I might put a little door on mine. Is yours removable or did you bolt it down?

It is fastened down with SS screws.

=D> =D>
Looks great so far man. One thing though, the u-bolts on the guide ons should cross over each other instead of side by side.

I put a little paint on the outboard motor to cover up some of the pitting.

OyxmO.jpg

Ictalurus said:
=D> =D>
Looks great so far man. One thing though, the u-bolts on the guide ons should cross over each other instead of side by side.

Thanks Ictalurus. Someone else pointed that out as well, it's fixed now. It is definitely much more secure with them crossed over each other.

You're going to love the grey. I've done my last two boats in grey, stays much, much cooler in the warm southern sun. Green boats will burn you pretty bad, the grey stays cool. You're motor cleaned right up too!

Ictalurus said:
You're going to love the grey. I've done my last two boats in grey, stays much, much cooler in the warm southern sun. Green boats will burn you pretty bad, the grey stays cool. You're motor cleaned right up too!

Well, so much for the cool temperatures of the grey paint. :lol:

I decided to forgo the deck until maybe next season after I've fished in the boat with the kids for a season and have a better idea of what I want.

Instead, I cut some MDF plywood to cover all three benches to mount pedestal seats to. I decided to paint those pieces with Plasti-Kote Bedliner that I got on clearance from Tractor Supply. I'm really pleased with the first coat so far:

LuBGL.jpg

I did a test and this bedliner seems to accept spraypaint, so I painted all the pieces the same color as the boat.

olW6p.jpg