samzerelli's 1649 flat bottom overhaul

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First coat of Rustoleum Smoke Grey (and gnats). Rolled and tipped:

79pUu.jpg

Second coat is now on the exterior. I'm going to let it sit upside down to cure for a week and turn my attention to this rusty trailer.

Spent the day wrenching on about 1.2 million completely rusted bolts to disassemble the trailer and get it ready for some refurbishing.

oVOK8.jpg

Boats looking good you're coming right along with it.

Seems everyone always uses paint remover to strip their boats, anyone ever try media blasting?

Here's what she looks like with three coats of smoke grey on the exterior after about a week of cure time. I left the top rail unpainted because I'm going to use an anti-skid additive for the interior and wrap that up over the rail.

djCQA.jpg

9Rdss.jpg

06kQj.jpg

Here are some trailer progress photos. I still need to add bunks, wire the lights, add some guide-ons, and then button everything up:

6v1fO.jpg

tWxjd.jpg

Just about finished with the trailer, aka the USS Enterprise. I have one more rusty roller to paint, I need to mount the license plate, and I need to move the trailer jack in front of the tower and shim it out with a couple pieces of aluminum for clearance.

t2HHs.jpg

pQ7JN.jpg

sC1mu.jpg

hgAQS.jpg

abgfY.jpg

aemsr.jpg

I put a coat of self-etching primer and a coat of clean metal primer on the interior. And of course it had to rain overnight. I'll make sure everything is dried and cured before I apply paint.

89z3D.jpg

PoDOt.jpg

The first coat is on the interior. It looks pretty bad with patchiness and brushlines galore. I'm really curious to see what it looks like after the second coat is applied.

CeoQD.jpg

rThfs.jpg

Okd0o.jpg

YNkg0.jpg

Got the second coat on the interior. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Tomorrow I'll put the registration stickers on it.

i77Z8.jpg

JQK99.jpg

zwoNk.jpg

TheMaestro said:
The paint job looks really good. What are you using for decals?

I ordered three inch vinyl decals from Holy Sheep (sixgun86 is his username here). He lets you pick your own font, so I used Airbus, in white.