Shallow Ramp Launching (updated with picture)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know your water conditions, but a lot depends on the angle/pitch of the ramp and how high the water is at the time you launch.

If you launch at the same place or similarly configured ramps, one set-up may work all of the time.

However, if you have tides; crosswinds; dam flow, etc. then, even though the boat launches great one time, the very next time you go you may need some other adjustment.

Good Luck.....richg99

I launch from a variety of ramps - the shallow ramp is the one in which I launch from the majority of time. It's a river that does fluctuate from time to time but majority of the time it's shallow as heck.

I have a smaller ranger truck so I cannot get too far in water unlike other trucks so I am trying to give myself the safest way to launch as possible.

I think dropping / greasing the bunks will help the best as it was very close last time. The extension I can take on and off depending on the ramp I go to - the extra 2 feet will make all the difference in my opinion.

Heavy

I saw those extensions at Northern Tool this weekend. I'm going to pick one up myself for shallow launch situations.

If you have a draw-tite hitch, you could always make an extension from a length of square tube, with a trailer ball on the end. My neighbor has an extension like this, because he launches behind his house. There's no ramp, he just backs the trailer into the marsh at high tide, and floats the boat off. The hitch extension allows him to do that without ever getting his back tires near the marsh line.

I was thinking about making the extension myself with the tubing and all but after pricing it out from local stores it came out to be just cheaper than finding an extension with coupon.

I ended up getting my own extension that cost me $25 on craigslist for 24inches. (online they go for $100 plus which is crazy!)

I saw someone at the ramp the other day using two (12 inch extensions) connected to each other to make up the two feet! They guy bolted them together - he got to the ramp and realized its a shallow ramp - walked back and attached the extension and launched without a problem...

I guess thats a way to go about it if you want to save money also as they have those 12 inch ones for very cheap... I wouldnt go pulling the boat long distances but for a quick launch I dont think Ive seen a better way haha

HeavyHook said:
I ended up getting my own extension that cost me $25 on craigslist for 24inches. (online they go for $100 plus which is crazy!)

:shock: :shock:

I was looking at the 18" extension, listed for $43. They have a 48" weld on, but I guess you could drill holes in it, for the same price.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612675_200612675

18in one looks like it would do the job just fine. Thats a really good price also - everything I saw in Florida and online was for much more than that when it came to 24'' or more... Might as well save the money and just get the 18".

I still am amazed the guy had two 12" extensions bolted together...

The one my neighbor uses is about 5 or 6 foot long. One day, after launching his boat, he forgot to remove the extension and drove to the store, or the post office....can't remember. LOL

Fortunately, no one ran into it.

PSG-1 said:
The one my neighbor uses is about 5 or 6 foot long. One day, after launching his boat, he forgot to remove the extension and drove to the store, or the post office....can't remember. LOL

Fortunately, no one ran into it.

haha that would be a sight to see. For people that arent knowledgeable with boat / trailers they would wonder what the heck was oging on.

richg99 said:
All of the above advice is good.....

it wouldn't hurt to stop by Wally world and buy a can of silicone spray. Launch the boat, go fishing. When you come back the bunk-boards may be dry enough to apply a coating of spray.

recover your boat with the new slippery bunks.

relaunch the boat and see if it helps.

A couple of dollars might alleviate the sticking that you mentioned.

Lowering the bunks; flipping the axle; extending the tongue are all great and very well regarded fixes.

I am not in favor of the smaller wheels unless you don't expect to EVER tow very fast or very far.

richg99

Rich, I sorta have this same issue - hull sits pretty high. My trailer has 14" wheels, so I AM thinking about going to a smaller diameter wheel and tire. Bunks are as low as the brackets will go. Pic:

CMOS

Attachments

• Boat14.jpg
    Boat14.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,164
CMOS said:
Rich, I sorta have this same issue - hull sits pretty high. My trailer has 14" wheels, so I AM thinking about going to a smaller diameter wheel and tire. Bunks are as low as the brackets will go. Pic:
I was faced with the same problem. 14" wheels and my brackets were as low as they would go(bunks mounted on edge). My solution was to remove the brackets completely and bolt the bunks down where they are laying directly on the frame (flat now, not on edge). Now mine rides lower than my brothers who has 13" wheels, with a flipped axle/spring setup, bunks laid flat, etc to get his as low as possible.

HeavyHook said:
RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I just sling mine off the trailer. Little juice in reverse...slam the breaks. About 3 times and she comes off the trailer.

:shock:

It's an art...not a science. I launch my boat when the water floods the flood plains. Have an outboard jet too which helps me get it back on the trailer.

HeavyHook said:
I just sling mine off the trailer. Little juice in reverse...slam the breaks. About 3 times and she comes off the trailer.

:shock:

It's an art...not a science. I launch my boat when the water floods the flood plains. Have an outboard jet too which helps me get it back on the trailer.

Im not judging haha I have seen some pro's out there at the ramp launch and retrieve within minutes - I am not that good just yet...

HeavyHook said:
Im not judging haha I have seen some pro's out there at the ramp launch and retrieve within minutes - I am not that good just yet...

If you never learn anything else as a boat owner, learn to back a trailer up and get good at it. It doesn't mater if you take your boat/trailer to a big empty parking lot and practice backing up to a particular spot or how you do it. The lake I fish the majority of the time has a really wide ramp. Three boats can launch/load simultaneous when you've got owners that know how to maneuver a trailer. And boats will be launched in less than 3 minutes from the time they start backing up in most cases. Then there are "the other guys". They take up the whole ramp to the point that it's not safe to try and launch at the same time they do. They are so bad at backing up that they will actually resort to backing up until the trailer gets skewed to one side, then they get out of their vehicle (with help) and yank/drag the trailer back in line with where they are trying to get to. Or you get the guy that backs up 10 ft then pulls forward to start all over again, back and forth, over and over. #-o Once you've got that down, learn to recognize how far your trailer needs to go back to make launching/loading as easy as possible. I use the water level vs the height of my side bunks to make that determination easier. Doing these two things will be a huge step in making you look like one of the "pros" vs "the other guys".

Not advocating "the slinging it off" method. I only do this when the water is so shallow that I can't float the boat off of the trailer. I launched once last year when the water not quite above the bunks.

There is nothing wrong with 8 inch wheels, especially with our light-weight boats. But, you are restricting your speed. Here in Texas, I have a two hour drive, at 70 mph , to get to the coast.

richg99

Glide Sticks!!!!!!! You put them on your bunks and you not only launch easier, you can ride your boat up the trailer when recovering.

I will never have a bunk trailer without them. Makes things very easy for single handling.

Tomorrow I am dropping the bunks and greasing them along with using the extension at the shallow water ramp I use and will see how that works.

If that doesnt work or make much of an impact then I will try the guide slicks as I have heard great things about them.