Shallow Ramp Launching (updated with picture)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sonny.barile said:
Glide Sticks!!!!!!! You put them on your bunks and you not only launch easier, you can ride your boat up the trailer when recovering.

I will never have a bunk trailer without them. Makes things very easy for single handling.

Sonny,

There are so many glide sticks out there. I've tried some and didn't think they were all that slick, better than carpet, but I could still leave my boat unhooked at the bow and it wouldn't slide off.

Could use post a link to the brand you use and like?

Thanks

Ictalurus said:
sonny.barile said:
Glide Sticks!!!!!!! You put them on your bunks and you not only launch easier, you can ride your boat up the trailer when recovering.

I will never have a bunk trailer without them. Makes things very easy for single handling.

Sonny,

There are so many glide sticks out there. I've tried some and didn't think they were all that slick, better than carpet, but I could still leave my boat unhooked at the bow and it wouldn't slide off.

Could use post a link to the brand you use and like?

Thanks

I have them on my trailer. I tried to push my boat off the trailer....wasn't happening. You are not going to overcome the inertia/friction of a boat that weighs several hundred pounds. That's why use the sling-it-off method - which might be easier to do with the slicks.

I've home made "slicks" from a number of materials. An earlier poster said he used plastic post covers. Sounds great!

I cut up some garden lattice and countersunk stainless screws to hold it on.

Right now, my 1648 tinny has some PVC boards under it that I applied last fall. Bought them at Lowes for $12.00 I cannot attest to their wearability, since I put them on at the end of the Fall and haven't used the boat much since. richg99

Was not able to get pictures today but I went ahead and dropped the bunks as low as they could which was a total of 4inches.

I also used the extension and barely had to get the tires wet this time when launching. (also used some wax on the bunks)

With the bunks dropped / waxed / extension I stopped 4 - 4.5 feet shorter than last time... That to me is a tremendous improvement and it was much better - Feet did not get wet etc and everything went smoothly.

Here is a link to what I have on my trailer:
https://www.basspro.com/EZ-Slide-Trailer-Pads/product/1072/

As far as not being able to overcome the inertia/friction of a boat weighing several hundred pounds.............

Think about it like this.
If you have a rectangular block weighing 200 pounds on a level flat rough surface like concrete you would need much more than 200 lbs of force to move it. The friction created by the rough surface needs to be considered along with the 200 lbs of weight. If you swap the concrete surface for one made of smooth teflon, you would only need a fraction above 200 lbs to move it. If the teflon surface was a ramp, you could move it with significantly less than 200 lbs of force in the declining direction.

Now apply this to what happens at a ramp with a boat. You are definitely gaining a mechanical advantage.

sonny.barile said:

As far as not being able to overcome the inertia/friction of a boat weighing several hundred pounds.............

If you have a rectangular block weighing 200 pounds on a level flat rough surface like concrete you would need much more than 200 lbs of force to move it. The friction created by the rough surface needs to be considered along with the 200 lbs of weight. If you swap the concrete surface for one made of smooth teflon, you would only need a fraction above 200 lbs to move it. If the teflon surface was a ramp, you could move it with significantly less than 200 lbs of force in the declining direction.

Now apply this to what happens at a ramp with a boat. You are definitely gaining a mechanical advantage.

Thinking is a side-effect of not knowing..........

Also...using a ramp does not produce a "mechanical advantage". A ramp trades force for distance. Using gravity is not a mechanical advantage either. There's also friction coefficient of the boat surface, slope, etc. My boat weighs 1000lbs. I'd gladly let you try to push it off the trailer....especially since I have already tried it. Theoretical physics (a stretch) vs. experimental.

Thought I was going to have to sling mine off yesterday. :mrgreen:
My new motors added weight kept me from being able to let it just slide off the trailer as I hit the brakes. No problem I thought. There's no one even here. Il back it off with the motor. Kinda wanted the try that anyway.. Wow. That's not as easily done as it looks. The boat has to be floating.
After two attempts to float the sucker. I resorted to letting the wake carry it off as I backed into the water. :mrgreen:
Thinking I may have to get my tilt working. Lol.
I can relate to you guys that can't push the boat off. Mine wasn't moving yesterday either. Even with wet bunks.

Get some gator glide or wet lander slick bottom and either paint your boards with it or the bottom of your boat and youll be able to push it right off. Its simple.

depends on what you call expensive. $79 for a quart to paint your bunks which will paint them multiple times and twice that for a half gallon to paint your boat which gives you a lot of additional advantages.

Didn't realize they sell them in quart containers. I was thinking $179 min. for the Gator Glide, and over $200 for the Wetlander. $79 still seems like a lot, to me, just to slick up your bunks though.

I've been considering the Wetlander for my hull bottom for all the other reasons for awhile now. Just can't pull the trigger.

18 bucks for a six foot 4"x4" vinyl post cover at Home Depot. Cut it in half and fasten sides into the bunk.

Also - your bunks do not extend past the transom. If they did you would take a lot of strain off the transom during towing [even with a transom saver] and make it easier to launch.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
sonny.barile said:

Thinking is a side-effect of not knowing..........

Also...using a ramp does not produce a "mechanical advantage". A ramp trades force for distance. Using gravity is not a mechanical advantage either. There's also friction coefficient of the boat surface, slope, etc. My boat weighs 1000lbs. I'd gladly let you try to push it off the trailer....especially since I have already tried it. Theoretical physics (a stretch) vs. experimental.

Rather than have a big back and forth on physics, I will just point out an article for those that are interested.
https://www.edinformatics.com/math_science/simple_machines/mechanical_advantage.htm

Should have paid more attention in physics class. Could have sworn that a ramp does not produce mechanical advantage since it does not multiply force. Can't be right all the time. ;-)

Only from experience!
I have a 1654 FB Tracker GRIZZLEY and have Teflon bunk slicks on the bunks. I think that boat is 460 lbs. bare, and I am well above that weight with all the gear and mods.
I have launched and retrieved that boat at shallow launches where the bunks weren't even in the water and the boat was almost sitting level. Have to exert a little energy, but it can be done.
I just modified another trailer for that boat, got the bunks a little lower, the outside bunks have plastic post covers on them and the middle bunk has the Teflon on it, also installed a longer tongue to get out further in the river.
My main reason for setting up a different trailer was the amount of pressure I was putting on the bow eye when winching it up and over the bunks at some of the shallow launches that I use.