Taking Up the Slack?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you link me to the Walmart poles?

Both covers seemed to hold up well to the 3" of wet sloppy snow we got overnight, but the worse is yet to come!

Think the Mirro is good to go, but still need to figure something out with the Crestliner. Wish I had a way or place to build a storage area, but I just don't see that working out for me. Current idea is to run a rope from the bow cleat to the motor. With a PVC support in the middle maybe to reduce sagging.
Before we got our 10’x20’ portable carport we ran a rope between two trees, parked the boat under that and secured tarps over it. Kept it dry enough that airflow dried out what did get in the ends.

In my 60 plus years of boat ownership, I have done, saw, created numerous ways and means of outside storage here in northern Ohio. Most common coverings cost money and continue to cost money over time. Best thing to come along are these so called portable carports. For the cost of about 3-4 good covers these things last far longer. If you want to save some bucks create your own rather than buying the kit. I have created lean-to style carports attached to the side of buildings and even a 6' tall privacy fence !! The hard top ( steel panels) support the snow so a less expensive cover can be used to keep wind blown debris out of the boat. And being under cover, the cheap boat cover will last far longer being out of the weather and sun. I have built numerous frames from wood and pvc piping, which all worked great if properly done, but...looking back, a lean-to type or carport hard cover was less money in the long run than all the home made frames I had built for all the different boats I owned. I know some if you might have certain building restrictions that do not allow such structures....I feel sorry for you...I would move, but that is just my opinion !!

Thanks for helping me brainstorm this. Last winter I was so clueless I thought could just toss the cover on the Mirro and be done with it. Soon realized I needed support, but with no clue I just tossed some plastic lawn chairs into it.....LOL You know what though? That worked half-way decent. The cover was just a little worse for wear this .spring. Mulling over the PVC vs rope. PVC does have some give to it, so not so sure it's all that much better than a tight rope. I think the key is to get enough pitch on the cover so the water and snow doesn't accumulate.

I'm jealous of you guys who have lots of storage. I barely got room in my garage for Mama's car and my bike. So boats have to live outside. At least with the tinnies getting wet doesn't really hurt them. I'm more concerned with the Crestliner.

I hear you airshot. I'm in the same type of climate you are, just a few hundred miles to the West. Those portable garage things are VERRRY interesting. A neighbor has two of those, but says they get trashed after 3-5 years. One thing that makes this all even worse for me personally is I live in the woods and there are oak trees over much of my property. I've been tempted to take them out, but I enjoy the shade. I am truly a shade tree mechanic!

We’ve been using portable car canopies for 15 years. After loosing 2 during snowy months, we finally figured out how to keep them standing. 1) put corner bracing in all 4 corners. We’ve purchased some with pipe clamp brackets and we’ve made our own by cutting pipe, hammering ends flat, and drilling then bolting to canopy framework. 2) hammer rebar into ground through holes in feet, 18” if possible. 3) additional extra heavy duty tarp added to roof (we use 20x30ish, whatever we find on sale), and secure tarp to screw in dog tieouts at perimeter of canopy. We also use roof rake to pull snow off roof.View attachment 117788View attachment 117790

We’ve been using portable car canopies for 15 years. After loosing 2 during snowy months, we finally figured out how to keep them standing. 1) put corner bracing in all 4 corners. We’ve purchased some with pipe clamp brackets and we’ve made our own by cutting pipe, hammering ends flat, and drilling then bolting to canopy framework. 2) hammer rebar into ground through holes in feet, 18” if possible. 3) additional extra heavy duty tarp added to roof (we use 20x30ish, whatever we find on sale), and secure tarp to screw in dog tieouts at perimeter of canopy. We also use roof rake to pull snow off roof.View attachment 117788View attachment 117790
Keep getting security error when trying to post pics???

I hear you airshot. I'm in the same type of climate you are, just a few hundred miles to the West. Those portable garage things are VERRRY interesting. A neighbor has two of those, but says they get trashed after 3-5 years. One thing that makes this all even worse for me personally is I live in the woods and there are oak trees over much of my property. I've been tempted to take them out, but I enjoy the shade. I am truly a shade tree mechanic!
Hey...even better...now you can make yourself an oak frame shed and add a good semi truck tarp and you will be good for many years !! Had truck tarp co make me some covers for my ATV's, after 12 years they are still in great condition

The cross pieces are glued into the tees but the connecting ones running lengthwise, I put a little plumbers silicone grease to aid in taking it apart, then bundle up with ties when boat's not in storage. The tees on the gunnels take some trial and error to fit. I think I used 3/4 pipe and then adapted to larger size tee to fit gunnels. I'll be at my daughters where I keep the boat this weekend to do some painting and if i get a chance I'll pull back the cover for more detailed pics.

I just place some plastic saw horses on the centerline of the boat and they work ok. I‘ve been thinking of using the cheap sawhorse brackets to make DIY wooden sawhorses of the ideal height and length.

Actually, your best bet is to find inside storage, then it can rain, snow, blow or whatever mother nature wants to do..
Years back I added a lean to to the back of my garage. Just made from 2x4's and steel sheet roofing, notbthat expensive. Just tall enough to slide the boat under, now most any cover will hold up to keep blowing rain and snow out.
Talking about shed & lean-to's I got same idea thing is trying to decide on what size as some just don't look good at end of driveway and stick out like sore thumb. looking for something will blend in picky so of a gun I know but it's just me but lean-to off the back to slide Betsy in out of the crappy weather, yeah! & talking about covers? Anybody ever try the ""shrink wrap" "white plastic? I remember in my, younger day's 40+ yrs. ago working for a marina we used 2x4, plywood & rug squares & made stands, bailing rope and shrink wrap plastic with a tank & torch. did a single rope down center of boat bow to stern& then a full runaround with rope threw plastic cover tucked under the hull rope and started heating plastic up, would begin to shrink and tighten up. Me now day's I have a mover's furniture blanket engine gets wrapped up and then a small water proof tarp gets wrapped around blanket & boat gets one tarp over Flat plastic bows I have runs side to side & from front to back with brackets on sides one water proof tarp, original cover and another tarp a few bungie's and I have been through some pretty good snow storms in Catskills Never had a problem but Alway's like idea of a garage or good size shed to put boat in and be able to work on her when weather was not the best .

Talking about shed & lean-to's I got same idea thing is trying to decide on what size as some just don't look good at end of driveway and stick out like sore thumb. looking for something will blend in picky so of a gun I know but it's just me but lean-to off the back to slide Betsy in out of the crappy weather, yeah! & talking about covers? Anybody ever try the ""shrink wrap" "white plastic? I remember in my, younger day's 40+ yrs. ago working for a marina we used 2x4, plywood & rug squares & made stands, bailing rope and shrink wrap plastic with a tank & torch. did a single rope down center of boat bow to stern& then a full runaround with rope threw plastic cover tucked under the hull rope and started heating plastic up, would begin to shrink and tighten up. Me now day's I have a mover's furniture blanket engine gets wrapped up and then a small water proof tarp gets wrapped around blanket & boat gets one tarp over Flat plastic bows I have runs side to side & from front to back with brackets on sides one water proof tarp, original cover and another tarp a few bungie's and I have been through some pretty good snow storms in Catskills Never had a problem but Alway's like idea of a garage or good size shed to put boat in and be able to work on her when weather was not the best .
We did the shrink wrap one year. To do our Tracker Targa 18’ it was $250. It worked as it was supposed to. Lots of garbage come spring and an expense we didn’t want to repeat yearly.Decided to beef up our portable car canopy for future years.

Been there, done that many times, before I learned that I could put that same energy to use, just one time, and build a shelter I could reuse every year !! I always put my lean-to on the back side of my garage so it couldn' t be seen from the road..

Wow, you guys rock with all these great ideas! I'll figure this out yet.

We did the shrink wrap one year. To do our Tracker Targa 18’ it was $250. It worked as it was supposed to. Lots of garbage come spring and an expense we didn’t want to repeat yearly.Decided to beef up our portable car canopy for future years.
I hear that with beef up was thinking same thing for a temp/ I have used the portable shed's with water proof tarp they last quite a while not like 20 or 30 yrs. but I have one that has lasted 10 yrs. "Cloth" and all I had to do was get a heavy duty water proof tarp to throw over it for $40.00 original portable 8X10 cost me $100.00 at Tractor supply on discount of $230.00/ for some reason they couldn't sell em????? now we are talking doing plastic or metal corrugated sheets on frame & make perm. I also have a 10 x15 thinking of just getting another frame & doing plastic & metal corrugate too as plastic for roof as lets light in and rest metal for side protection& be able to hook up a couple shelves for parts & etc. have enough property so can hide em from main road & view // You see talking to you guys gets my motor working between ears!!!!🤔+🧠= New portable shed !(y):D

I thought I had responded to this post, I must be getting old...Put an old plastic garbage can in the bow and stern upside down. Put a 2x4 across them and make a tent to shed the water. Tie straps under the hull to pull the sides tight.

That is what I plan on doing. Scored some old telephone poles from the past storms we had. Neighbor down the road worked for the electrical company for 20 years and he hooked me up. Most are over ten feet long. Plan on building a simple pole barn connected to my shed. No floor but believe that should work. Thinking I will make it long enough to park boat with trailer. We very seldom get a lot of snow but it would be nice to keep it out of the rain.
Telephone poles are awesome ! Get someone to bore some holes in the ground about 3' deep then tie some treated 2x4 or 6's to make your frame. That would last a loooong time !!

Latest posts