Thoughts before the 1448 gets underway?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoody

Reaction score
Ok, I am about to mod my 3rd boat, its a Lowe 1448 Semi-V.

Here is a sketch of my front deck mod, I am taking some advice I read on another post (can't remember who said it) and using wood 2x2's to do this just because I have about 4 idea's and not sure which will be best for me until I actually try them (I really like the way PBW framed his deck and got the simpson strong ties from his idea), this one is more of what I want the others may work, but instead of wasting the aluminum angle I just bought on a mod I will want to change im using the wood first seeing as I have about 20 - 12' 2x2's leftover from a deck project. I bought 50' of 1 x 1 x 1/8 Aluminum Angle that i will save for my FINAL mod as I plan on keeping this boat a long time.

Please give me your thoughts, I plan to leave a space open for a cooler to drop in or a place for a passenger to sit while the boat is in motion to distribute weight, plus you can sit lower in the boat for some catn if need be, I catfish alot and bass fish but want to create a design that will cross well to both species, a fully elevated front deck wouldn't in my opinion be to comfy catfishing having to lean over to pick up the rods out the rod holders everytime, so this is my plan.

Once I get started on this I will start a thread in the sub forum with step by step of my progress.

Suggestions? fire away

Attachments

• l1448m-c.JPG
    l1448m-c.JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 687
Might consider moving the batteries to under the middle seat, to get a little weight off the bow & more centered. Looks like it'll make you a nice oat!

ST

SlimeTime said:
Might consider moving the batteries to under the middle seat, to get a little weight off the bow & more centered. Looks like it'll make you a nice oat!

ST

I agree.looks like it's gonna be a nice oat.

Agree on moving the batteries more center, how about in front of the bench seat running along with the sides of the boat, one on each side of the open deck plan(cooler area),

I'd go 5/8 ply, the stuff works.

I agree the batteries would better distributed along the middle bench area, but I was planning to cut out a small part on that bench and putting rod lockers in, see new pic. I should have shown you all my entire plan beforehand, I guess I will have to think about it, I was originally thinking the batteries would be better up front because the outboard weighs 108lbs plus the fuel tank and a fishing partner, upfront the two batteries may push 100 lbs then there's me and a light weight trolling motor.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• l1448m-c.JPG
    l1448m-c.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 622
dedawg1149 said:
i got two batteries up front like that on my 17 foot bass tracker i dont have any problems with it

So do I, but I'm 16.5' & 6'+ beam. You're 3' longer & a fair amount wider as well. If he fishes alone on the front deck, he's liable to be alittle nose-heavy.

ST

SlimeTime said:
dedawg1149 said:
i got two batteries up front like that on my 17 foot bass tracker i dont have any problems with it

So do I, but I'm 16.5' & 6'+ beam. You're 3' longer & a fair amount wider as well. If he fishes alone on the front deck, he's liable to be alittle nose-heavy.

ST
yeah didnt think of that :?

They are wright about the batterys.I HAD mine up front like you have them.TO much weight.THE batterys weight is about 75 lb. a piece.That will be a good looking boat when you get it done.IF you are by your self and seat up front to fish with the batterys like that and the weight of the person is 150 to 200 lbs.The back of the boat will be just in the water.I had a 15 hp johnson on mine sat on the up it came.
The weight of the motor was about 85to 95 lb.THEN i sold and put a 25 3 cly. 2 stroke johnson its weight is a 153 lb. then you go about 35 lb gas.And the back of the boat still came out of the water.That why i put the batterys in the center.Where we are people fish a lot of shallow water,Ive seen people put big big rocks in front of there boat to get through shallow water that was my idea about the batterys in front.But the boat works just as good with the battery in the center.

Latest posts