Time for a new outboard

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
turbotodd said:
I guess I'm one of the few who fishes a large variety of waters. I frequent a large deep impoundment. 40,000 acres. I also fish a smaller, tree-filled lake. And then the Arkansas river from time to time. Then sometimes a small shallow river, might be 100 yards wide at the widest point and a foot deep-if that (sometimes). Another river, 300 yards wide, 2 foot deep (or less in a lot of places normally).

At one point I fished exclusively out of a 1432 flat bottom tin boat. 9.9 Rude with a 15 hp carb. I thought it was fast!

On the big lake, it took me about 35 minutes to get from the ramp to my favorite hole. That's a long haul at 13 mph, especially if the wind picks up, or you're in a hurry to get back before the storm gets there, or anytime I had a cooler full of crappies or catfish. But the smaller stump filled lake was fine, never got over an idle and didn't have to go far. On the 2 shallow rivers, if the generators were fired up and the current picked up, if I were downstream, it was not fun to get back up stream. 13mph is the boat's top speed and the maximum current was 7 to 8 mph, so you're creeping along at 5-7 mph on plane at full throttle. I learned real quick not to go downstream very far.

Sold that old boat and got me a 1548 with a 25hp motor. Top speed about 30-ish. Night and day difference. Much more confident in fishing those same exact waters. I don't know how I fished them with that old 9.9. Heck I don't know how I didn't die when that one storm rolled in out of nowhere. The boat I have now is not a "big" boat whatsoever, but it sure beats the heck out of the 1432 for what I do.

Yes, never caught a fish at more than 5 mph. But getting TO the fish, different story. The 35 min ride at 13 mph seemed like 3.5 hours at 6400 RPM, all the while, big boats passing me. I had a guy drive right past me once and later on I get to my favorite tree top, and that guy was there tied off to it, catching crappie one after another. That did not set well with me but you know, I fish for fun, and found another spot....15 minutes from that spot, around the back of an island that the bigger boats couldn't get to easily (submerged stumps/trees/etc).

Did that 15hp Evinrude really only push a 1432 13mph? I have been tinkering with a '67 9.5 hp Evinrude and finally lake tested it on a 1436 loaded with myself and dad (who total about 320), 6 gallons of gas, and another 80 lbs motor and hit 15mph despite the motor needing to be raised a few more inches since the transom was a little short. The other motor I mentioned was a '82 Evinrude 15hp. I tried it as well and it felt like it shot the boat out of a cannon compared to the 9.5. I didn't gps it though as it had an air leak somewhere and kept starving for fuel.

i had a 1444 g3 mv w a 9.8 tohatsu 4 stroke.would not break 19 mph,gps. did not use gas. im pushing a 1648 weldbilt mv w/ a 30 hp efi 4 stroke tohatsu. will occaissonaly hit 29 mph w/ one guy. 2 guys 27+ 3 guys 26, but uses a lot more gas. uses so little gas i swapped the 6 gal tank for a 3 gal tank. might use 5 gal on a 4 day camping trip. 3 guys. the 9.8 would plane my 1444, was a good motor, my buddy bought that rig.

Latest posts