TinBoats Twitter - Random posts

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My charger stopped working last night. I went went to check it and switch to the other battery and it was dead - no lights, no sound, nothing. I wanted to go fishing tomorrow, so no time to wait for a cheap onboard charger to come via mail. I might just have to get another portable one (it's cheaper anyway).

wasilvers said:
My charger stopped working last night. I went went to check it and switch to the other battery and it was dead - no lights, no sound, nothing. I wanted to go fishing tomorrow, so no time to wait for a cheap onboard charger to come via mail. I might just have to get another portable one (it's cheaper anyway).

I just realized, this might be the first time the batteries outlasted the charger :?

fool4fish1226 said:
Good luck to you and your girl - If it goes the way it does for me (my girl out fishes me everytime) - So maybe you are the one that needs the [-o<

15 boats in a bass tourney this weekend. Only 5 boats found keepers. This was one tough tourney!

We caught lots of fish, but couldn't find the big ones. My daughter...who turned 14 on Saturday caught 9 bass this weekend. A record for her, and she worked for it. I'm very proud of her. My biggest bass was 1/2" short of keeping and was a disappointment. Biggest fish of the weekend was a cat that I caught on a bomber crank. Another disappointment.

Most important though....My daughter and I had an amazing weekend.

Attachments

• MarkTwain_27.jpg
    MarkTwain_27.jpg
    1,012.3 KB · Views: 186
  • MarkTwain_04.jpg
    MarkTwain_04.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 186
Went "bass" fishing on the river near the house. What a failure - I have no clue at all what I'm doing. After 3hrs of nonsense I tied up a bunch of river rigs and must have caught 10 catfish within a half hour.

Help? :lol:

I've got smally's on the lake figured out - the river is kicking my kiester.

wihil said:
Went "bass" fishing on the river near the house. What a failure - I have no clue at all what I'm doing. After 3hrs of nonsense I tied up a bunch of river rigs and must have caught 10 catfish within a half hour.

Smallies - River - Tubes with either a jig head or T-Rigged with a bullet weight.

The key is to always cast parallel or downstream (never upstream you will just snag) and use enough weight to "tick" the bottom but not so much you snag - you DO NOT reel until the bait swings all the way down stream.

So:

cast
tick, tick, tick on the bottom
swing - (usually this is where they hit)
and reel in

If you are not ticking at the bottom your are not heavy enough

If you are snagging the bottom without ticking - too heavy

You should expect to snag fairly often

Go get em!

Captain Ahab said:
wihil said:

Smallies - River - Tubes with either a jig head or T-Rigged with a bullet weight.

The key is to always cast parallel or downstream (never upstream you will just snag) and use enough weight to "tick" the bottom but not so much you snag - you DO NOT reel until the bait swings all the way down stream.

So:

cast
and reel in

Go get em!

Man, that sounds like work

Captain Ahab said:
wihil said:

So:

cast
and reel in

Go get em!

I know the cap is a good fisherman but I approach smallies a bit differently.

Depending on the layout of the river.
Shallow fastish river, I look for swells or other indications of small holes. I "always" usually cast up stream w whatever comfort bait you have and let it come over the holes. Smallies lay in these low pockets and ambush. You will catch fish casting down stream but maybe 20%. Down stream travel is natural to the fish and doesn't have to be a reaction bite. I generally throw shallow cranks, soft craws, rubber worms etc. Lots of crawfish replicas. Or whatever the common food is for them.
Little slower river target fishing for log jams, over hanging trees, piers, etc. Soft plastics w little or no weight (depending) on current, top water, shallow cranks, jigs.
Also if the river is stirred up after a rain or boat traffic I'll use a smallish jig head tipped w bright yellow grub or mini IKA slow. (deadly)
Just another angle.

linehand - I use that method as well - I was looking for the immediate gratification and easy approach. Your way - you will usually get better fish - the way i laid out for him is more of a numbers approach.

Working the holes is awesome if you can a. find the correct holes and b. know how to drift the bait. Drifting the bait into a hole is tricky and i do not think I can explain it in a post without pictures

Thanks both Ahab and Linehand. Though different, you've both provided great info for me as it's a slowish river with all kinds of crap in it. Like I said, the river is new to me - but its a very enjoyable alternative to getting soaked out on the big lake when the waves are up.

Looks like I need more plastics and some bullet weights - cranks I've got covered.

In other news -

Shimano Critica or Curado - Discuss! (it's main competition at the moment is a Lews Speedspool)

Awesome night on the lake tonight, couldn't have asked for a better evening to spend some time trolling the shoreline.

Think I dang near caught one of everything in the lake - limited out on walleye (smallest was 18"), caught 5 jumbo perch, lost a whale of a catfish just at the back of the boat and almost caught a face full of crankbait, 4 smallies, and a smattering of white bass and sheepshead. One sheepshead was 24" and took the planer board under. :lol: :lol:

All in all, man what a great night for 5 hours of fishing. Love it when doubles show up and the long line starts to zip....

Best. Time. Ever.

Popeye said:
That's making my Saturday fishing decision more difficult now. Salmon or Walleye...

If that's the worst decision you have to make on Saturday, I am sooooooooooooo envious of you.

(I'd go Salmon just because I catch walleye all the time :mrgreen: )

I catch so many Salmon, my freezer is full. Walleyes have been eluding me lately though. You have Wisconsin Walleyes though, I'm stuck with the little ones in the Fox Chain Lakes.

Popeye said:
That's making my Saturday fishing decision more difficult now. Salmon or Walleye...

Hmmmmm - Tuna? or Stripers?

Or Maril

or
Wahoo?

Tonight Flatheads

I like my options better :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Anyway, Popeye - go with whatever the fish store has on sale , hehehehehe

Captain Ahab said:
Popeye said:

Hmmmmm - Tuna? or Stripers?

Or Maril

or
Wahoo?

Tonight Flatheads

I like my options better :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2: :LOL2:

Anyway, Popeye - go with whatever the fish store has on sale , hehehehehe

That would be goldfish feeders

It's 104!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's Friday!!!!!!!!!!

And it's just about "Miller Time" :LOL2:

Attachments

• millerhighlife.jpg
    millerhighlife.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 225

Latest posts