Tires

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubba said:
The lower PSI rating may have something to do with the Plies or your tire. I've read the 4 ply tires are usually only rated around 32-35, and the 6-plies are rated for usually 50. I believe my new ones read "50 PSI Max cold" so do I inflate them to the max?

I would keep them inflated as prescribed. The boat prep/mechanic guy at Tracker told me to keep the tires inflated to the recommended 50psi (cold). I usually inflated them to about 48-49 to leave room for heat expansion while trailering a long distance.

You're porbably correct on the ply thing. The GoodYear tires I had on my truck were 6-ply and the inflate pressure was 50psi. My new tires, which are 4-ply Michelin's are inflated to 35psi. When I get a chance I'll put my bifocals on and go check the trailer tires.

So how would I go about finding the recommended PSI? Only thing I see on the tire is a max psi(which is 50psi). :|

Bubba said:
So how would I go about finding the recommended PSI? Only thing I see on the tire is a max psi(which is 50psi). :|

As redbug said above, look for the Max Load rating psi. Seems like there's a lot of text on tires nowadays doesn't it. The load rating will be in there somewhere.

Yep the number of plies is a function of load carrying capacity and thus indirectly related to psi. The higher the number of plies the stiffer the tire. The stiffer the tire, more air it can hold.

as for psi. There is no hard and fast rule for proper tire inflation. The general guideline I use is the baby powder test. Sprinkle baby powered all over the ground for about 3 ' in front of the tire. Drive through the powder and look at teh tire track. If you have track all the way across the wideth of the tread your at the proper psi. If the edges aren't showing your over inflated. If the center is missing your under inflated.

Max PSI has nothing to do with proper inflation, it is simply the max pressure the tire can hold safely. Nothing more, nothing less. The tire manufacture has no way of knowing how the tire will be used. They have a general idea, under a trailer. Max psi is nothing more than the maximum pressure the tire can safely maintain in all conditions.

There is a tag on the inside tube of my trailer frame that specifies tire inflation. It specifies the 50psi cold that is also molded onto the side of the tire.

That mirrors what I have always been told and info that can be found online as well:

https://www.boatwheels.biz/trailer_tire_poster.pdf

https://www.loadrite.com/Support/Trailer_Operating_Information_/Tires_Brakes_Actuator/80/

There may be a difference in inflation pressure recommendations between radials and bias tires. I have never had a trailer with radial tires so I am not sure about that one. Most boat trailer tires normally succumb to dry rot from sitting for extended periods long before the tread wears out (unless you are consistantly really under or over inflated or really put a lot of miles on one).