Trailer Project (a couple more new pictures!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stopped at Canadian Tire on my way home last night and picked up a basket full of new nuts and bolts and an LED light kit for the trailer. Got the side bunk arms, fenders and roller assembly put back together. It' starting to look like a trailer again! Heading out to Cerka this afternoon to pick up the new axle assembly.

(See if you can spot the trailer amid all of the junk in my garage!)

Attachments

• IMG_1776.JPG
    IMG_1776.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 1,456
  • IMG_1775.JPG
    IMG_1775.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 1,456
The finished project:

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_1796.JPG
    IMG_1796.JPG
    187.8 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_1778.JPG
    IMG_1778.JPG
    170.8 KB · Views: 1,446
  • IMG_1777.JPG
    IMG_1777.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 1,446
Here are a couple more pics. I tilted the bow up to work on the front bunk and to drain out some water.

Attachments

• IMG_1818.JPG
    IMG_1818.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 1,425
  • IMG_1819.JPG
    IMG_1819.JPG
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,425
  • IMG_1820.JPG
    IMG_1820.JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 1,425
BC,

Just an FYI, I have a trailer with rollers like yours on a 12ft v-hull. The rollers have actually dented in the bottom of the hull where they rest while trailered. I usually have two batteries in addition to a trolling motor mounted back there which I'm sure is the primary reason for the dents assuming everytime the trailer bounces, the rollers push into the hull.

I'm not sure what the full extent of the problem is or potentially could be and even though the boat is riveted, it hasn't created any leaks by bending the aluminum in those locations.

Looks like you did a great job on it.

Brine said:
BC,

Just an FYI, I have a trailer with rollers like yours on a 12ft v-hull. The rollers have actually dented in the bottom of the hull where they rest while trailered. I usually have two batteries in addition to a trolling motor mounted back there which I'm sure is the primary reason for the dents assuming everytime the trailer bounces, the rollers push into the hull.

I'm not sure what the full extent of the problem is or potentially could be and even though the boat is riveted, it hasn't created any leaks by bending the aluminum in those locations.

Looks like you did a great job on it.

Thanks. I will keep an eye on it.

Great job on that trailer! Looks sweet. I've actually been pondering painting mine green to match my boat when all said and done, but was wondering what it would look like. Now I have an idea! Thanks!

Nozzlejocky said:
Great job on that trailer! Looks sweet. I've actually been pondering painting mine green to match my boat when all said and done, but was wondering what it would look like. Now I have an idea! Thanks!

Thanks - glad you like it! Don't forget to post some pictures of your when you get it done.

Cheers,
BC

BaitCaster said:
I had a very productive weekend, although the wife was not too happy with all the time I spent in the garage. Got most of the trailer primed on Friday and Saturday, and painted on Sunday. I am heading out to Cerka Industries this afternoon to get a new axle, springs and hubs. I got the axle separated from the springs fairly easy once I figured out how they were connected. However, on closer inspection I determined I might as well replace the springs now while I have everything apart. Here are some pics from the weekend.

So what kind of paint did you use and how is it holding up?

First I sprayed on Tremclad Rust Reformer, then a coat of Tremclad Grey primer followed by a coat of Tremclad flat green rust paint on the frame and Tremclad charcoal grey hammer finish on the roller assembly and fenders. The fenders are galvanized so I had to use a galvanized steel primer.

It all worked well and the paint is holding up nicely.