Trolling Motor Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFDOZIER

Reaction score
First off I'm modding a 1232 Tracker. You can see it in the link in my signature. Now to the question

So BassPro is having there take 6 months to pay deal going on right now so I'm thinking about going ahead a buying a trolling motor for the Bow. My question is what size thrust do I need to effieciently push this little boat. I used to have a 1436 Sylvan with an older 42 lb thrust troller on the front and it pushed it fine but there were times where I felt I could have used more. But that boat also had a 20 hp motor on the back and this one will have just another trolling motor back there. So the 1436 was a good bit heavier. Do you guys think a 45 lb thrust will do the job? I rarely fish any heavy current if ever. Thanks

It is often said (because it is true) get the most powerful TM you can afford (and afford to run)

You can always run at 1/2 speed but it is nice to have more and not use it then less and need more

I'm on a fairly tight budget with this mod but I may be able to step up to the 55 lb thrust if need be.

Bugpac said:
They are made specifically for bass pro shop. Its a inexpensive motor.

So how is this true when everyone else sells the edge series of trolling motors?

The 45lb motor will push your 1232 just fine. I have one on a heavy 1440 and it pushes it just fine as well.

I was wondering that as well because I've seen them for sale on a few other sites as well as Bass Pro

I think that a 45 will be enough. Will you be going with a tiller of foot pedal because there is a significant price difference.

so here is another vote for the biggest you can afford.
you said you could step up to the 55 then i would choose that one every time

I have a 1548 G3 with a center console and a 40hp Johnson on it I just built and have a 40lb Minn-K on mine. It moves just fine and I am always in wave action out in the bay. It is hand controlled with a fold out bracket mounted on the front with an extension handle. It has the Big Foot push button switch mounted on the deck for off/on control. The reason I go with the hand control is because of cost. The hand control will cost approx $200.00 less than the foot operated motor. The extension I have is about 22 " long and can be removed real easy when traveling from one area to another. This motor also has the handle that moves up or down so the extension is always close. The foot switch is mounted on the deck so that I can set the direction on the motor and just turn it off and on when needed. Also with hand operated motor I don't have all the extra cables and foot pedal to get in the way.
See pics below of the Big Foot switch with two wires, and 2 examples of the extension handles, jus' sayin'

Attachments

• Big Foot switch.jpg
    Big Foot switch.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 670
  • Big Foot switch1.jpg
    Big Foot switch1.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 670
  • troll motor ext handle.jpg
    troll motor ext handle.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 670
  • troll motor ext handle2.jpg
    troll motor ext handle2.jpg