Truck Bed Coating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron42261

Reaction score
I bought a quart of Dupli-Color truck bed coating.
I want to paint the inside bottom , cover just the part thats in the water.

I thought I would use a wire brush in a drill to remove and rough it up, there is some type of old coating on it now. Havent tried to remove it yet- Ill see how good its attached.

After wire brushing Ill wipe it down with laquer thinner -Think thats good enough for prep????? for bed coating.

The guy at the part store said the coating is paintable if I want it a different color. I may end up doing the entire inside.
Has anyone ever painted over the bed coating???

Do I need to roll it on? How Thick?
Ive heard this will stop leaks??
Thanks
Ron

I have thought about this also. I have seen pictures on here of guys putting it on their floors......and I have also read where some guys said that it peels off. Someone will come along and clarify. #-o

My new boat came from the factory with it all the way over the gunnels. It also has a spray camo job over it.

So far, so good.

IMG_0937.jpg

Well its been rainin here , its to wet and cold to apply- I guess I can work on my decking.

Hopefuly Ill hear from some one whos used this stuff before I paint it on
Ron

Ron42261 said:
Well its been rainin here , its to wet and cold to apply- I guess I can work on my decking.

Hopefuly Ill hear from some one whos used this stuff before I paint it on
Ron

Hey Ron on the inside will be perfect :wink:

If used as a bottom side paint it fails, thats the peeling off part-its not designed for constant complete submerssion in water.

This is from a fella that actually did it--When I was researching the herculiner, It said that the 1` gall kit would cover a 6' bed but another quart would be needed for an 8 ft bed. I figured If I needed another quart I would just buy it but get this..... I used 1/2 the gallon and that was 3 coats!! If i HAD KNOWN i WOULD HAVE HAD THE TRAILER READY(PREPPED) BECAUSE tHE PRODUCT IS AIR REACTIVE, MUST ALL BE USED WITHIN 24 HRS OF OPENING CAN. i DID NOT HAVE THE TRAILER READY TO PAINT SO i WASTED 1/2 GALLON! bUMMER!! (yes, herculiner can be used on galvanized trailers!!)

hope it helps :)

We coated the inside of our V-bottom while rebuilding it. So far, so good.

Latest posts