Types of paints

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well i am currently in the process of mod'n my 11.5 ft v-hull and i was just wanting to know wat types of paint U guys used. I used this stuff. https://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay_10551_10001_46787_-1______?rFlag=true&cFlag=1I am from OH so i am going with an OHIO STATE theme. but that is irrelevent i just was wondering what y'all used just for curiosity sake :) Thanks guys :lol:

Not meaning to hijack, but has anyone used the Rustoleum brand "boat paint" (or "marine paint")? I saw it at Menards awhile back, but need to look at it again to see what it can be used on (glass, aluminum, etc)....I'll be going sometime this week :D

Yeah i saw that paint at menards too! it doesnt come in many colors though i even checked it out on rustoleums website blue and black ....i think. also i thought it was a tad bit expensive isnt it like 30- somthin a quart i cant remember been a couple weeks.

bluegill slayer said:
Yeah i saw that paint at menards too! it doesnt come in many colors though i even checked it out on rustoleums website blue and black ....i think. also i thought it was a tad bit expensive isnt it like 30- somthin a quart i cant remember been a couple weeks.

Yeah, I remember there wasn't alot of color options. I actually used some a couple years ago on a 'glass boat. They make 1 paint for above waterline & a different for below. I got gunship gray I think it was, in above waterline paint. You're probably close, it wasn't cheap.

ST

SlimeTime said:
Not meaning to hijack, but has anyone used the Rustoleum brand "boat paint" (or "marine paint")? I saw it at Menards awhile back, but need to look at it again to see what it can be used on (glass, aluminum, etc)....I'll be going sometime this week :D

That's what I used on my Jon boat and so far so good. The real test of durability will be when I finally get to start using it for gigging flounder :D . You can use it on glass, wood or aluminum, you just need to prep the area properly according to they type materiel and it's current condition.

I used Battleship gray, you can see how it turned out here https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3550&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=10 I painted the outside and inside with it and i think it turned out pretty nice considering i just rolled it on.

I started to go with Pettit Easy Poxy or Inerlux Brighsides but then I found Rustoleum topside paint @ Lowes for $9.95 a qt versus about 30 bucks a qt for the other. I'm sure the other brands are a higher quality but I needed about 1/2 gallon & am trying to save a few dollars where I can.

Thanks for the info Brew! I looked at it today at Menards....$11.00 + a quart there....guess I need to start price shopping, have a Lowes about the same distance away.

ST

Hey brew did the paint take a while to harden or what cause the paint that i have is taking forever to harden i dont know what the deal is i talked to a couple of guy and they said that with implement paint like that it might tak a while to harden but it has been over two weeks and i havent checked it in a couple day but i may have to scrape it all off and start over :evil: :roll: :x #-o :shock: :? yeah it kinda ticks me off!

BS- I did notice that the one time I used it (on a 'glass boat), seemed to stay "soft" for awhile. If memory serves me correctly (rare occasion anymore #-o ) enamels dry from the "inside out".

If anyone paints with acrylic enamel, spend alittle extra & add the hardner to it. They claim eggs, battery acid won't hurt it.

ST

bluegill slayer said:
Hey brew did the paint take a while to harden or what cause the paint that i have is taking forever to harden i dont know what the deal is i talked to a couple of guy and they said that with implement paint like that it might tak a while to harden but it has been over two weeks and i havent checked it in a couple day but i may have to scrape it all off and start over :evil: :roll: :x #-o :shock: :? yeah it kinda ticks me off!

They state for pretty much all paints not to use if rain is threatening or it's really humid.....well when i painted it we were getting heavy rain every friggin day and it was around 80-90 humidity or more. I said the heck with it and painted it any ways in my garage. I painted it at night at by the time I got up the next morning for work it was hard & dry. I'm sure it takes a couple of days to really fully cure but it definitely didn't take more than a few hours to stop being tacky & soft. FWIW the rust-oleum topside is listed as an oil modified alkyd enamel.

I hate to say it but if it's been 2 weeks I think you might want to consider starting from scratch again. I'm no paint expert but i've never heard of paint taking 2 weeks to harden, to fully cure maybe but not to harden. By the time 24 hrs had passed my paint was definitely nice and hard and i was even painting in some of the worst possible weather conditions. I was able sand it and give it a it a second coat by the next night.

bluegill slayer said:

What are the chances that it is bad paint? :-k

I can feel your anger/frustration. :(

I actually went down to the barn this morning and checked it and it is finally starting to harden, atleast i am not able to peel it off with my fingernail anymore.[-o< Also my dad who works as a carpenter said that at this persons housethey put down this epoxy paint type stuff on their garage floor and he said it took a good 2-3 weeks to finally harden up so that they could park their cars on it. different scenario but i just brushed it on i put it on quite thick i may add with no hardener so all of that could and probably had somthing to do with it.

I think your problem might be that you tried to put on too much at one time. That can have a huge effect on the paint drying properly. It's always better to put on multiple thin coats then to try and glob on one thick coat. Maybe you'll get away with it, I hope you can cause the other alternative sux for sure.

As far as epoxy paints (the stuff i looked at for boats at least) like Pettit Easypoxy and what not should be good and dry in no more than a couple of days.

If the paint system you used comes with a hardener and you didn't use it and you also laid the paint on really thick (not to mention the weather factor) I think that's your problem right there. Good luck!

I used military OD green--the tough stuff. HOWEVER, I'm not too worried about keeping it perfect. Where I fish there are a lot of stump beds and tree tops. I know I will bear a few scratches. Whats nice about this paint is that its easy to blend..and it wont blotch easily. Also, found it easy to touch up.