unplug trailer before launching

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the joy of driving home one night without headlights after forgetting to unplug them.

Since then, I've put sealed LEDs on every boat trailer I've had, and will never have it any other way.

Most of you guys use your boats in freshwater, so, sealed lights might actually hold up.

But I've adopted the saltwater boater mentality, in this environment, NOTHING will hold up. Been running in salt water for about 30 years now, and I've seen this stuff eat everything, even stainless steel under the right conditions. I have a 1.5 inch stainless propeller shaft from a commercial fishing boat, that suffered from intergranular corrosion and electrolysis, it weakened to the point that it snapped cleanly in two! So, if it can do that to a massive piece of solid stainless shaft, you know what it will do to smaller components.

Even the best quality trailer lights will not last when used in saltwater, even if you are washing the trailer every time you use it. The problem is that while you may wash the trailer when you get home with it, while you're out on the water, that salt water creeps into every crevice of the trailer, and the sun bakes it, as the water evaporates, what's left becomes even more corrosive. If a seal in a trailer light deteriorates the slightest bit, and salt water enters that light, that's the end of it, it may not happen immediately, but it will happen soon enough, even if you wash the light out with fresh water, even if you have dielectric grease, etc. There is NOTHING you can do to protect light assemblies from salt water, except to put them up on guides.

After I forgot one time and popped a bulb I bought LEDs and now always "forget".

I unplug. 2 of my previous boats had the lights up high as mentioned before and that was great. When I get some time, and money, I think I will do that to the boat I have now.

I always unplug, but sometimes forget to plug back in. It is so ingrained, that doubt when I get LEDs that I can change.

I am now in the habit of doing a "walk-around" before I pull the boat from the driveway, or from the ramp. Checking to see if the plug is in the boat...and the plug is in the tail-light assembly...are parts of that walk around. Just finally got it in as a (good) habit. Rich

PSG-1 said:
Most of you guys use your boats in freshwater, so, sealed lights might actually hold up.

But I've adopted the saltwater boater mentality, in this environment, NOTHING will hold up. Been running in salt water for about 30 years now, and I've seen this stuff eat everything, even stainless steel under the right conditions. I have a 1.5 inch stainless propeller shaft from a commercial fishing boat, that suffered from intergranular corrosion and electrolysis, it weakened to the point that it snapped cleanly in two! So, if it can do that to a massive piece of solid stainless shaft, you know what it will do to smaller components.

Even the best quality trailer lights will not last when used in saltwater, even if you are washing the trailer every time you use it. The problem is that while you may wash the trailer when you get home with it, while you're out on the water, that salt water creeps into every crevice of the trailer, and the sun bakes it, as the water evaporates, what's left becomes even more corrosive. If a seal in a trailer light deteriorates the slightest bit, and salt water enters that light, that's the end of it, it may not happen immediately, but it will happen soon enough, even if you wash the light out with fresh water, even if you have dielectric grease, etc. There is NOTHING you can do to protect light assemblies from salt water, except to put them up on guides.

I agree 100% - salt water and metal = metal looses!

We were lucky to be able to launch our boats using a railway - that way the trailer never hits the salt water

Other then a good rinse (use SaltAway - it helps) there is not much you can do but reach into the wallet and again, and again

All my boat trailers get the raised lights added to them if they don't already have them. My current trailer even has yellow marker lights that shine forward, mounted on the back side of the tail lights. They are fantastic when backing my trailer up at night even if the trailer is empty it allows me to see where the trailer is located. Since I've started using elevated tail lights, I haven't had to worry about dirty/corroded bulb connections or having to clean them periodically.

47247143.jpg

JMichael said:
All my boat trailers get the raised lights added to them if they don't already have them. My current trailer even has yellow marker lights that shine forward, mounted on the back side of the tail lights. They are fantastic when backing my trailer up at night even if the trailer is empty it allows me to see where the trailer is located. Since I've started using elevated tail lights, I haven't had to worry about dirty/corroded bulb connections or having to clean them periodically.

47247143.jpg

Did you build those light brackets? Can you post some better photos - I would like to copy your design

Captain Ahab said:
Did you build those light brackets? Can you post some better photos - I would like to copy your design

The ones in the pic came on the trailer when I purchased it (used), but they are well built and very sturdy as they also serve as mounts for the side bunks. I think that whoever built them did a good job. I don't have any close up pics of them but will try to take some for you to see.

I unplug.

I've learned that "submersible" does not necesarily mean water proof. I've seen some LEDs that say "submersible" on the package. When you take the time to read the instructions, they say it's ok to submerse the non powered unit for short periods of time...allow to dry thoroughly before powered use. In a round-about way, this tells me the units aren't waterproof, and one should still unplug.

Frogman Ladue said:
I've learned that "submersible" does not necesarily mean water proof. I've seen some LEDs that say "submersible" on the package. When you take the time to read the instructions, they say it's ok to submerse the non powered unit for short periods of time...allow to dry thoroughly before powered use. In a round-about way, this tells me the units aren't waterproof,

Exactly. Even the high dollar trailer lights are not impervious to water infiltration. Again, this is why I'm a big fan of trailer guides, with the lights mounted up near the top.

If you want to never hassle with your lights again, raise them up. It's really the best way to go about this and has other benefits also as others have mentioned : )

Captain Ahab said:

Rather than clutter up this thread, I started a new thread and posted some pics for you and anyone else that might be interested in the design.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24834

Even with the LED lights I still unplug, and at the same time take off safety chain and relax winch strap 2 clicks , totally unhook @ waters edge. Just part of learned experiences.

Latest posts