UPDATE! Maybe tin no more

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LDUBS said:
Hey Hammer, hopefully you will never need it but wear that PFD.

Always do, unless it's a windless, summer day. I used to wear an auto-inflateable but they don't keep your head turned properly. To take the mystery out of it, I had a massive stroke several years back. The stroke was related to a medical situation I was born with but really didn't become "reliably" active until I was 27. I had a bad seizure, I've been taking meds since that time. Fortunately, I can feel when a seizure is about to occur, more fortunately, I haven't had one in many years.
Anyway, I had a friend who helped a lot with loading and unloading the boat. Now, it's me. It takes time and why I'm looking for something shorter but as wide, like the Pelican or a skiff.

1960 yellowboat said:
This may sound crazy but how about a paddle boat with an electric trolling motor and wheels attached to the stern? The kind with a bimini top

I've seen some of those paddle boats at a local park one, the guy was trying to be a gentleman and he got launched into the drink!

I had a stroke at 0, from an otherwise undiagnosed condition, which I was born with. (Basically I have weak veins.) I did have to change some things about my life. I miss some of them and found new ones.

I have been searching for the "Perfect Boat." on here for a while now. The shorter (1036, and 1236) are the lightest boats of the size. The plastic little pontoon boats out there are heavy really heavy for the size. there is a rubber round boat like an old Coracle which looks pretty stable and has an ability to put a small motor on it. If you are not in need of a motor the fishing Stand Up paddle boards are much lighter but tippy. All the "old Guys," warn about decking a little Jon, due to shifting the weight up. There is a small dingy I think West Marine makes it or sells it, it has a wheel in the middle of it and good handles on the transom. I have seen the 2 wheels on the transom of a little Jon which might also help out a little.

P.S. I love the orange May West PFD's

You might need to look more into a deep V layout with a floor. It would be better in a chop but I think they would feel less stable than a wide mod V. If you find stuff for sale in your area, definitely ask to go out on the water to see how the layout feels. I have never had a problem taking a potential buyer out for a run in my boats to see how they liked it so anyone not willing to do that would not be worth considering buying the boat. My 1652 is pretty low on the sides when you're standing on the front deck. I've had days when it's windy with a little chop on the river and I won't stand on the deck, I go to the back where the floor is lower.

OK, thinking out loud here. You want something that will be easy to launch & retrieve single-handed. Mention is made of a lighter weight boat. And you want stability, which can be had with a wider boat.

So, here is my thinking (you have been warned - Lol).

If you have decent ramps and a well-fitted trailer, weight of the boat really should not be a big factor when it comes to launching and retrieving. My current boat weighs about 750# before the motor and gear. It is super stable when I walk around the deck. I don't have raised casting decks. I pull it onto the trailer with ropes at bow & stern. Doesn’t take much effort. I put on rubber boots so I can wade out to hook the winch to the bow eye. Winch it up, pull it out, put the stern tie-downs on and life is good. I’m 67 years old. While some will say I’m still a whippersnapper, I’m not running any races or going to be doing any acrobatics. I never drive the boat on and climb over the bow, because I know I would have a hard time. Toughest part for me is walking up the ramp. Haven’t had any complaints yet on how long it takes me.

So, I guess for part one of your objective, I’m not sure that a lighter boat is going to really make a difference. Unless that is, you plan on launching from the pick-up bed. But I think that would be much more demanding than launching from a trailer.

As far as stability goes, a heavier boat is going to probably be better for you. The Carolina Skiff and Boston Whaler boats you mentioned sound like good choices (I’m not familiar with Stinger Skiff). Also the previous suggestion about mod-V boats is good, IMO.

Sorry for the long winded post and hope I didn’t confuse things.

LDUBS said:
OK, thinking out loud here. You want something that will be easy to launch & retrieve single-handed. Mention is made of a lighter weight boat. And you want stability, which can be had with a wider boat.

So, here is my thinking (you have been warned - Lol).

If you have decent ramps and a well-fitted trailer, weight of the boat really should not be a big factor when it comes to launching and retrieving. My current boat weighs about 750# before the motor and gear. It is super stable when I walk around the deck. I don't have raised casting decks. I pull it onto the trailer with ropes at bow & stern. Doesn’t take much effort. I put on rubber boots so I can wade out to hook the winch to the bow eye. Winch it up, pull it out, put the stern tie-downs on and life is good. I’m 67 years old. While some will say I’m still a whippersnapper, I’m not running any races or going to be doing any acrobatics. I never drive the boat on and climb over the bow, because I know I would have a hard time. Toughest part for me is walking up the ramp. Haven’t had any complaints yet on how long it takes me.

So, I guess for part one of your objective, I’m not sure that a lighter boat is going to really make a difference. Unless that is, you plan on launching from the pick-up bed. But I think that would be much more demanding than launching from a trailer.

As far as stability goes, a heavier boat is going to probably be better for you. The Carolina Skiff and Boston Whaler boats you mentioned sound like good choices (I’m not familiar with Stinger Skiff). Also the previous suggestion about mod-V boats is good, IMO.

Sorry for the long winded post and hope I didn’t confuse things.

2 very good ramps in my area, which is great. No complaints with the trailer (beside that lights that I thought wouldn't be a problem after I put the LEDs on :LOL2: ) and the boat, when loading isn't that heavy, it starts when there's less boat on the water and more on the trailer, the shift in weight, if that makes sense.
I'm making a list of what I think would help me out.

You could always add an electric winch to the trailer to help with loading but I was surprised when I put the vinyl downspouts on my bunks that it made it a lot easier to winch up. I can winch my boat up the trailer with my weaker arm easily. I don't even have side guides and with the bunks in the right position, the boat pretty much lines itself up. My trailer used to have rollers and it would take me a couple of tries to get it centered properly but the bunks make it so much easier. Our ramp goes down and then out at an angle so we get the current pushing sideways when you try to load it.

Attachments

• trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 581
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 581
  • trailer5.jpg
    trailer5.jpg
    450.4 KB · Views: 581
  • Taco_atramp.jpg
    Taco_atramp.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 580
JL8Jeff said:
You could always add a winch to the trailer to help with loading but I was surprised when I put the vinyl downspouts on my bunks that it made it a lot easier to winch up. I can winch my boat up the trailer with my weaker arm easily. I don't even have side guides and with the bunks in the right position, the boat pretty much lines itself up. My trailer used to have rollers and it would take me a couple of tries to get it centered properly but the bunks make it so much easier. Our ramp goes down and then out at an angle so we get the current pushing sideways when you try to load it.

I have a winch and the bottom bunks are vinyl. I already have side bunks on my trailer but they don't come up that high, maybe a 12"/18", tops (don't know if this shows it well enough). If I use higher bunks on the side, it might help me a little bit. I'm able to drive onto the trailer but if we have north or east winds, it's a chore.

Attachments

• IMG_0124.jpeg
    IMG_0124.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 576
Harbor Freight sells an electric winch with a wireless remote for around $60. Mount it in place of the hand winch and then it's a breeze to retrieve the boat. You can line the boat up with a boat hook and let the winch do the work.

Sorry, I meant electric winch. I can see if you have the trailer backed in too far, those side guides would be too low to help.

The electric winch is a great idea, I didn't even think about that. There was a guy in a bass club I was in like 25-30 years ago who had one. Those two products, electric winch and higher side guides would make it much easier. Is the electric winch something that could be easier stolen or is it somewhat safe from being pried off?

I think it bolts on where your hand crank winch is currently. Maybe if you were to use allen head bolts it might make it more difficult to remove quickly. My uncle used to have an electric winch on his old boat trailer and he could have that boat loaded up in no time.

X2 on the suggestion for an electric winch.

I have the "short" side bunks like the ones shown in your pic. For the ramps I use, the side bunks are never so far in the water that the boat will float over them. Result is when I snug up the bow eye and pull the boat out it has no option but to settle nicely right where it belongs on the trailer.

My previous boat had the taller post style side guides. I kind of agree maybe those would work better for you. One side benefit for me was that they stick up high enough that I always knew where the trailer was when backing down the ramp without the boat.

Screen Shot 2019-10-31 at 12.24.44 PM.png

Thanks!
It's solved 50% of my problems.
Step 2 is the front deck, which might be a matter of carpeting or a spongy vinyl. Only major issue is the console that takes up deck place. I might be better off getting a different boat.

the hammer said:
Thanks!
Step 2 is the front deck, which might be a matter of carpeting or a spongy vinyl. Only major issue is the console that takes up deck place. I might be better off getting a different boat.
O.K. then, the electric winch solved 50% of your problems.
Here's the other 50%
Put an elevated railing around the front of the boat. The kind you see on offshore boats. Chrome or aluminum about waist high. Helps keeping you on your feet.
Move the console to the rear of the boat. Where is it written that it has to be in the middle? It's YOUR boat, make it fit you.
Or go back to tiller steering.

1960 yellowboat said:
the hammer said:
Thanks!
O.K. then, the electric winch solved 50% of your problems.
Here's the other 50%
Put an elevated railing around the front of the boat. The kind you see on offshore boats. Chrome or aluminum about waist high. Helps keeping you on your feet.
Move the console to the rear of the boat. Where is it written that it has to be in the middle? It's YOUR boat, make it fit you.
Or go back to tiller steering.

Never had tiller steering but if I can remove the console and go to tiller would be the thing. I think it's a bit beyond my skills to remove the console, move the switches and a full conversion. That's why I'm looking at a new, smaller craft.