Upper Potomac

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we need water!!!!! that is all :shock:

the numbers were there this weekend - we caught over 50 both days. But the biggest was a 17" that looked like it had been dragged under a kayak a few hundred yards.

Help guys. Took my new to me tin out 3 weeks ago. Put in at Williamsport. Was told good water there. Just going for a ride. Got up above the bridge and got crushed by a rock. Broke ths skeg off the lower unit and ruined the prop. 300 buck repair.
Is it much safer to run just above dams 4 & 5? Where is the best place to put in for those areas? New to the river.
Help please.
Thanks

Blue Dawg said:
Help guys. Took my new to me tin out 3 weeks ago. Put in at Williamsport. Was told good water there. Just going for a ride. Got up above the bridge and got crushed by a rock. Broke ths skeg off the lower unit and ruined the prop. 300 buck repair.
Is it much safer to run just above dams 4 & 5? Where is the best place to put in for those areas? New to the river.
Help please.
Thanks

Bummer. I put in at Four Locks ramp and right now you should have no problems making it all the way to McCoys Ferry ramp. But I run a jet. Above that you can forget it with the water levels right now.

dargan bend, dam 4 and dam 5 are safe all year. shepherdstown as well, but there are 2 ledges you need to be aware of. The first one is directly under the rt 480 bridge. the channel is on the maryland side, in a straight line in front of the far right stone trustle thats no longer with a bridge over it. you are then good to run the center for the next mile until you see the river making a left bend - the channel is on the WV bank, about 20' off the shore.

JoshKeller said:
dargan bend, dam 4 and dam 5 are safe all year. shepherdstown as well, but there are 2 ledges you need to be aware of. The first one is directly under the rt 480 bridge. the channel is on the maryland side, in a straight line in front of the far right stone trustle thats no longer with a bridge over it. you are then good to run the center for the next mile until you see the river making a left bend - the channel is on the WV bank, about 20' off the shore.

Josh- Picture is worth a thousand words. Is the area depicted in Yellow the channel your referring to?
TIA

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 8.53.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-21 at 8.53.31 PM.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 1,647
JoshKeller said:
yep, except hug the md shore a bit more. just stay in line with that piller until you get past the 480 bridge

Appreciate the info man. The other channel your referred to up river can be seen in Google maps fairly clearly.

I was out a couple weeks ago doing the catfish thing. Really feeling like hitting it again soon but I'm schedule to work on a combine tonight and work the rest of the week. My indicating rock is about 10' from the water and the fish trap below the dam is way out of the water.

Should be a good chance to map the rocks up to the quarry.

been catfishing lately - the bass is slow. have got a 22, 21, and a 18 lb channel cat in the past few weeks. again, my hosting site isnt working, but bigterps seen the pics

BigTerp said:
Just in time for duck season to!! Although I'm curious what effect, if any, this latex spill will have on our part of the river.

Terp- Apparently none. Fish were hungry today. We caught 30 today and the size for some reason has seemed to improve. Was that you duck hunting on the MD side north of McCoy's Ferry?

Nope not an airboat. River dropped as quick as it came up. Doubt I will make it up that way again unless we get some more rain.

average size is up to approx 16". we jumped the first ledge going into the concocheague (gonna go back in there with my waders and move some of the rocks from the chute), and got into some in the next two pools. saw a 21 - 22" giant, but couldnt get him to bite - i did get his smaller buddies to commit to a home made hair jig. Ran back out into the main river and caught these right around big terps ramp :lol:

And a few of the big catfish