Water uplift tube extension?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonApe

Reaction score
Long story short, someone threw away the 5" water uplift tube extension for my bay kit 5" spacer. Now I need to find some way to replace it, preferably without paying $75 to Bay MFG for another one. Motor is a 2001 Merc XR6 150, long shaft going to XL shaft.

Normally, there is a short plastic pipe that fits into the top of the water pump housing and then very loosely fits over the copper pipe in the drive shaft housing. I found that a 3/4" piece of copper pipe from home depot fits just right over that plastic pipe. However it is extremely loose over the copper pipe in the drive shaft housing. However, a 3/4" to 1/2" copper adapter fits very nicely over the drive shaft housing pipe. That gives me a very secure fit and I can cut my 3/4" pipe to size.

What I need to know is whether the original plastic pipe was not secure over the drive shaft housing pipe for some reason. Will I cause any problem by using snug fittings? I can't see any reason why I would want water to not go up the water uplift tube and instead fill the housing, but I'm really new to all of this.

Thanks.

20240811_145621.jpg20240811_151649.jpg20240810_184141.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't use copper. Notice that there are NO other copper fittings to be found in an engine??? Must be a reason for that. Find a plastic or PVC substitute.....
I don’t think copper and aluminum play well together. The aluminum looses the battle.

If I recall correctly, the Mercruser alpha gen 2 used an o-ring with the plastic tube.

I wouldn't use copper. Notice that there are NO other copper fittings to be found in an engine??? Must be a reason for that. Find a plastic or PVC substitute.....

Well the 20" water uplift tube is copper already, so it must not be that big of a problem. Also it seats into a rubber bushing above and below in the water pump housing.

Well the 20" water uplift tube is copper already, so it must not be that big of a problem. Also it seats into a rubber bushing above and below in the water pump housing.

Now that you say that, I do recall seeing copper tube in some outboards. Can't remember brand or model at this time. The bushings must prevent corrosion.

Some of the older OMCs had copper water tubes. They wire isolated from the aluminum by rubber grommets though.

You want a very snug fit on the water tube. It is designed to seal perfectly or close to it.

Now that you say that, I do recall seeing copper tube in some outboards. Can't remember brand or model at this time. The bushings must prevent corrosion.

Aluminum would be subject to galvanic corrosion in contact with copper. Like you say, they must use some kind of rubber bushing to isolate the two. I know the lower seal on mine is rubber. I should know, but can't remember if my water tube is copper. Next time I do the water pump maintenance I'll remember to look.

Yes, there is a rubber bushing that holds it in place below the power head. There is a rubber bushing in the pump housing on the lower that it slide into when you install the lower unit.