where to mount trolling motor?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

870 ExpressMag

Reaction score
i'm trying to figure out a good place to mount a trolling motor, i do not yet have one so i am not restricted by mount type yet. instead of re-posting the pics of my boat i will just post a link to a previous thread with the pictures. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26218
i have tried to mount one on the stern next to the other motor but it is way to crowded and doesnt allow full movement of the main motor when the trolling motor was on there too. my battery is in the back directly underneath my main motor. i would prefer it be in the back so i can use it when i am by myself. and one of those expensive remote models, etc is out of the budget. thanks for any help, or ideas.

i just found those mounts that sit down in the handles on the boat, has anyone used these? and how do they work? i could put it in the handle off the rear of the boat and that would work perfectly for me i think

Here's how I did mine. I found the transom to narrow to mount one there so me & my dad built this. I have a bow mount but you can reverse the head of a transom mount & add a block of wood & it would work fine. There are several options here you could use a block of wood & have it clamped onto the side. We built this because I got a hand me down trolling motor & Gator Mount II.

016_zps3ed0feca.jpg

It is built with 3 pieces of angle & a piece of aluminum diamond plate ( a piece of plywood is a great substitute )

015_zps9586118b.jpg

The diamond plate is bolted onto the angle which is bolted into the gunnel of the boat

001_zps1fa75183.jpg

thanks for the post, looks good, but in my pics i have to much stuff at the bow i dont think that would work for me, i also not have swivel seats mounted on all 3 seats

running by myself would be the problem, i also wana use this for pulling into the dock when i am by myself, as running my 18hp from rear seat and trying to maneuver and fight wind and grab the dock gets tricky, so i figure it would be more controllable running a trolling motor from the back so things are moving a little slower without losing control

I saw something last year on a guys boat that might just be the ticket for you. On the back of the transom the guy had a home made mount made of 2x4's. It looked like a capital T and as stuck through one of the carrying handles on the back. I talked to him for awhile & he said it worked great. I suppose you could also mount it anywhere with a few SS bolts, washers, and locknuts by drilling a few holes with a dab of 5200 to seal everything up.

Consider running a 2x4 OUTSIDE (too wide) and beyond the stern gunnel corner. That may allow you to mount the TM on the stern and still provide you with the clearance you need. Don't worry about the angle of attack.

Personally, I avoid stern mounts as the bow is much easier to pull than to push.
regards richg99