Which 12 volt battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt tee

Reaction score
OK I have a small 12ft boat, with front bow trolling motor Minnkota power drive 2, Plan on putting in a stereo,and my navigation lights. What will be a good battery to buy, I really don't want one that will leak acid, so a gel cell or something similar, I have read good and bad about the optimas. I don't mine spending some money but if I do I would like the battery to go past 2 years, or should I just go with a cheaper battery and replace it every 2-3 years. I am sorry if this has been talked about already, I went into the search and come up with not too many ideas. I would like to stay under 200 bucks, but if someone can tell me this is a battery that will last 5 years I will buy it. All comments are welcome, I do not have a replacement cell for the new battery so I will be paying full price. I went to Sears a few times and they last 2 years for me. Someone mentioned to go to Wall mart and buy their cheap deep cycle and replace it every 2-3 years. I would like to get at least 3 years on a battery, Again I apologize if this subject has been up already. Thanks ahead of time.......Pete

A AGM battery will last well past 3 years if you take care of it
charge as soon as you get home
but it will cost you a bunch
I have 3 AGm batteryies that are going on their 5th year and still run like new
but at $200 plus each it can get exspensive

The price is worth it if they hold up and yes I always charge my battery when I come in, I also use Battery Tenders and have found they work great for my Quad and lawn tractor, Dont know if it will be OK to use on a deep Cycle or if it will work correctly. Thanks for the brand name, I will look into it and try and find the best prices

sgt tee said:
The price is worth it if they hold up and yes I always charge my battery when I come in, I also use Battery Tenders and have found they work great for my Quad and lawn tractor, Dont know if it will be OK to use on a deep Cycle or if it will work correctly. Thanks for the brand name, I will look into it and try and find the best prices
AGM is a battery type a little cheaper than a gell cell and they will not leak either i have deka batteries not sure where you are located but battery plus stores have okay prices. i use an on board charger for mine and leave them plugged in all the time with out issue

I am from Pa. I will goggle that and see if we have them around me, Thanks

closest store is 75 miles, have to find a different store, My bro-inlaw has a friend that works in abattery place and I am thinking of asking him

I found this site a while back. It has lots of great info on batteries that should help anyone make an informed choice when it comes to picking the right battery for them.

https://www.windsun.com/Batteries/Battery_FAQ.htm