Your favorite Soft Plastic Rig

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When it comes to winter trout, this is my favorite lure:Limit Of Trout, Caught at My Favorite Hole.JPG

A Mann's 4" Swimmin' Grub, Chartreuse with a firetail, using a 1/4 oz. pink or orange jig head.

With this rig, and an ambassador reel and a 7 foot rod, rigged with 20 lb power pro, I can pretty much limit out in an hour or so. 9 out of these 10 fish were caught in just 45 minutes.

However, Mann's has discontinued the swimmin' grub in that color pattern :cry:

I have tried to make my own molds, using one of the baits to cast it with, but every attempt has ended in failure. I tried making one mold out of plaster, but that didn't work, because as this is a 2-color bait, I can't tell when I've gotten it full enough of the green to be able to add that last bit of red for the tail. Tried making another one out of clear acrylic, and I messed it up.

Anyone here have any hints on how to make a 2-color bait, and to make molds that will work? I'd sure appreciate it. I only have a handful of the 2-color swimmin grubs left, once they're gone, they're gone. I DO have swimmin grubs in solid colors that I can use to make molds, though.

I'm a smallmouth fisherman and I love Strike King KVD Bitsy tubes in Watermelon Copper Craw rigged with either a 1/16 or 1/8 jig head bounced off the bottom while I drift the Delaware River.

PSG-1 said:
When it comes to winter trout, this is my favorite lure:

A Mann's 4" Swimmin' Grub, Chartreuse with a firetail, using a 1/4 oz. pink or orange jig head.

Anyone here have any hints on how to make a 2-color bait, and to make molds that will work? I'd sure appreciate it. I only have a handful of the 2-color swimmin grubs left, once they're gone, they're gone. I DO have swimmin grubs in solid colors that I can use to make molds, though.

https://www.basspro.com/SpikeIt™-Dip-N-Glow-Plastic-Lure-Dye/product/2579/133939

Two "go to" soft plastics that a beginner can use and catch fish from day one.

1) Zoom Super fluke in pearl white- there is no other color. Soak the bag in water 12 hrs before you use them, drain 24 hrs before the day begins. (Trust me..) Use an open face flip bail set up, 10 lb max line. Use a Gamakatsu or BPS octapus hook just through the nose- the long hooks like from a texas worm rig for example- they kill the flutter of the lure. The oct hook is the correct presentation. Most of the time I am using a 2/0, yes... A 2/0.. Even with 6/7 lb bass, top of the mouth almost evey time. (Sight fishing- rarely will they get it deep, if they do I just cut it and let them handle it)

2) Bass Pro Shops "Stick-O", same approach as above- but a baitcaster is better.. Sometimes I upsize the hook a little.

You can control the descent of the wacky rig senko lure- slow fall, dead middle, quicker fall- hook 1/4 way from one end. (I never t-rig Senkos..)

Brian B. said:
Two "go to" soft plastics that a beginner can use and catch fish from day one.

1) Zoom Super fluke in pearl white- there is no other color. Soak the bag in water 12 hrs before you use them, drain 24 hrs before the day begins. (Trust me..) Use an open face flip bail set up, 10 lb max line. Use a Gamakatsu or BPS octapus hook just through the nose- the long hooks like from a texas worm rig for example- they kill the flutter of the lure. The oct hook is the correct presentation. Most of the time I am using a 2/0, yes... A 2/0.. Even with 6/7 lb bass, top of the mouth almost evey time. (Sight fishing- rarely will they get it deep, if they do I just cut it and let them handle it)

2) Bass Pro Shops "Stick-O", same approach as above- but a baitcaster is better.. Sometimes I upsize the hook a little.

You can control the descent of the wacky rig senko lure- slow fall, dead middle, quicker fall- hook 1/4 way from one end. (I never t-rig Senkos..)
Why soak them? Never heard of such a thing. I texas rig about 80% of the time, anything from a craw to a worm to a senko. I also wacky a senko the other times.

John the Zoom plastics you have to watch- most claim to be salt impregnated and are not at all, no salt equals less weight, less neutral bouyancy- they want to float- you don't want that. And last no salt and they won't hold the lure properly.

Anyway- back to soaking them, soaking them before hand bring ot that salt and I mean right now- they ooze salt. Not only that they get a very lifelike and believable finish after the salt starts "popping".. Also, last, the salt begins dissolving, the salt that dissolves in the 12 or so hour period- it effectively really loosens up the plastic and makes that thing just flick/ flip, twich completely realistically.

Just give it a try, it really improves the bite. And especially the "hold."

Works for Senkos too.

On Zoom lures- Super Fluke specifically.. If they don't taste salty- guess what- its because they have no salt. (They really shouldn't be able to advertise them like that) the "White Ice" color for example.. I think that is one of the colors with no salt.. It is completely salt free, pull one out of the bag with no hook, throw it in the water.. I think if memory serves it floats- and that's bad. It needs the slow fall that the salt provides.

Trust me was a much easier answer on my texting thumbs ;)

My plastics are 90% T-rigged. Worms, Craws or Hellgraleaches. The rest are exposed hooked flukes or jigs with yamamoto hawg thumpers.

Big Bite Baits "squirrel tail worm" rigged with a shaky head. One of the best finesse worms I've ever used. Motor oil and junebug are usually my go to colors,depending on conditions. Check out there website they are reasonably priced, at least the last time I ordered they were. I'd say well over 50% of my main tackle box is big bite soft plastics.

Ryno685 said:
Big Bite Baits "squirrel tail worm" rigged with a shaky head. One of the best finesse worms I've ever used. Motor oil and junebug are usually my go to colors,depending on conditions. Check out there website they are reasonably priced, at least the last time I ordered they were. I'd say well over 50% of my main tackle box is big bite soft plastics.

SHHHHhhhhhh....that's my secret :shock:

:lol: sorry fender, your the only other local guy, that I know of, that's ever heard of them. Every time I ask bait shops if they carry them, all I hear is, nope never heard of them. :shock:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=310125#p310125 said:
Ryno685 » 11 Apr 2013, 11:24[/url]"]:lol: sorry fender, your the only other local guy, that I know of, that's ever heard of them. Every time I ask bait shops if they carry them, all I hear is, nope never heard of them. :shock:
What? Jeff Kriet is the man and his baits rock. I cant believe people havent heard of them or him, he is a great fisherman and a great ambassador for the sport.

Latest posts