1972 Appleby Conversion (New photos 09/03/12) Advice needed!

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
DVeasey

1972 Appleby Conversion (New photos 09/03/12) Advice needed!

Post by DVeasey »

Hi all,

I just bought (well, picking up this afternoon), a '72 Appleby 14' aluminum, with a 10hp Evinrude outboard. I'm looking forward to undertaking the project of converting it to a nice bass boat as so many of you have! I'll be sure to chronicle it all and share with everyone, yet I wanted to know, if you could give me one piece of advice before I start, what would it be?

Best,

Dale
Last edited by DVeasey on 03 Sep 2012, 13:19, edited 2 times in total.
Dale

"What good is a man who does not try to make the world better?" - Balian (Kingdom of Heaven)

1972 14' Appleby Conversion

sixgun86

First boat conversion

Post by sixgun86 »

:WELCOME: to Tinboats!

My advice, buy your ol' lady some flowers because somewhere down the line spending time on the boat and not her, or buying the boat new things and not her, she will start to get disappointed. You risk clean underwear and hot meals.

IwanaFish

First boat conversion

Post by IwanaFish »

I am fairly new to the site as well. What I have and am still learning. Read as much of this sites Modified post as possible. These folks do some amazing things. They have solutions for anything you will run into.

Use aluminum ange and box tubing for framing where possible. If rivited boat tend to all rivit issues before starting your deck. Spar Urathane is your friend. Stainless steel bolts and hardware.

And most importantly. If you have a question, ask. These people have done it or thought about already.

Oh and Pics are a must :wink:

Lonny

flajsh

First boat conversion

Post by flajsh »

sixgun86 wrote::WELCOME: to Tinboats!

My advice, buy your ol' lady some flowers because somewhere down the line spending time on the boat and not her, or buying the boat new things and not her, she will start to get disappointed. You risk clean underwear and hot meals.
:(
lmao. Exactly what he said.
Two dozen roses and box of chocolates later I'm still in the shitter.

DVeasey

First boat conversion - First photo's

Post by DVeasey »

Well, finally went out and took some pictures of it, as it is now, before I do any sort of work on her. (Let's hope that I can get them posted right).

I took a few quick measurements and from bow to stern she is 13' 10", transom is 3' 11" wide & 1' 3" deep, widest point is 4' 4.75", depth at center bench is 1' 6".

Apparently when the guy I bought it from purchased it about 14 years ago, it was painted camo and he hand stripped that, and painted the inside with an industrial paint that had a bit of a grit to it (light bluish, you can see that most has already peeled off). There is one spot he discovered when stripping the pain where there is a Bondo patch, which must have been a dent as there is no sign of anything on the inside. There was a little seepage around a couple of the bottom supports, which was patched with marine fiberglass.

Well, keep the tips coming, and I'm off to read through more of your conversions for ideas!

Dale

Dale

"What good is a man who does not try to make the world better?" - Balian (Kingdom of Heaven)

DVeasey

First boat conversion

Post by DVeasey »

Dale

DVeasey

First boat conversion

Post by DVeasey »

Evinrude 10hp

Dale

DVeasey

First boat conversion

Post by DVeasey »

Dale

DVeasey

First boat conversion

Post by DVeasey »

Inside paint peeling away...
Dale

DVeasey

First boat conversion

Post by DVeasey »

Undercoating starting to flake and peel...
Dale

DVeasey

First boat conversion

Post by DVeasey »

So, while I'm stuck not being able to work on the boat due to the rain, I've been researching and planning, and want to thank all of you that have helped so far!

Here's an update:

I just called Fasco and placed my order for SteelFlex (non-teflon) to re-coat the bottom (after I strip off the bed liner).

I'm also in the process of aquiring the necessary parts to remotely control my outboard, and am working that into my plans now.

This weekend is supposed to be nice, so I'm planning on beginning on the demo/stripping, and will be sure to post pictures of the progress!

Dale
Dale

sixgun86

First boat conversion

Post by sixgun86 »

Look into a sand blasting, couldn't have been more happy. Sanding and paint remover is such a pina. Fair cost would be $50 -$100 but you might spend close to that in sand paper and paint stripper. Also before you dump any money into that motor make sure it's worth the investment.

DVeasey

First boat conversion

Post by DVeasey »

Thanks sixgun, she (Evinrude) runs well and has been well maintained. Other than the cosmetic wear and tear of time, she is a great motor.

The paint that was used (both on the hull, and interior) is already peeling/lifting, so it shouldn't take a whole lot of work. The guy I bought it from said it was painted camo (multiple layers thick) when he bought it, and he hand stripped it to bare aluminum (he restores old boats/vehicles for a hobby). If it were me I probably would have paid for the sandblasting at that point!

So I make sure that I've got it right:

Don't used pressure treated lumber with aluminum.

Use SS hardware (or aluminum for rivets).

Use hardwood for transom repairs (not poplar, etc.).

Am I on the right track so far?

Dale
Dale

garzilla

First boat conversion

Post by garzilla »

I laminated two pieces of a/c half inch plywood for my transom, and then it has another piece of half inch on the outside, all through bolted to one another......stained, and urethaned up.

DVeasey

First boat conversion - Curse you rain!...?

Post by DVeasey »

So here's what I hate to see when I am chomping at the bit to get working on the boat this weekend...

So, after cursing mother nature, bargaining with her, I found that I could not win that battle and decided to make the most of it... research and planning! On that subject, can anyone recommend a good free CAD program? I'm handy with hand sketching, and that's working for now, yet I'd like to be more precise and be able to make changes in an environment where I can "undo" them easier... If anyone has any advice, I can assure you it will be greatly appreciated!

Dale
Dale