12-12 to 12-16-2009

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hengstthomas

Reaction score
12-12-09 Diamond and Wagamons
Sport and I got a late start but we had the canoe on the water at Diamond by about 11am . What we found was VERY depressing . Grass everywhere and dirty water . We fished hard and landed about 20 nice Crappie all about a pound except 2 dinks . No Pickerel at all and only hard earned Crappie .

We left about 3pm and headed to Wagamons and found fishforever nailing some nice slabs .. We joined in and we all picked up some nice Crappie . Josh left about an hour later but Sport and I stayed until we couldnt see our bobber anymore landing fish after fish with a few nice fat Yellows to boot .. I wish we went straight to Wagamons .. Oh well .

I only took 1 pic .. I know I'm getting lazy :)
100_4730.jpg

IRI 12-13 / 12-14-09
I hit IRI alone tonight and I was the only one there too .. Had the whole place to myself :)
I started out back and picked up a few Schoolies ..
100_4736.jpg

100_4735.jpg

100_4737.jpg

Got 6 like those then the bite died but I noticed fish crashing on the corner light so I headed out front to the rail .. What I saw was INCREDIBLE !! Stripers were crashing from the corner light to the far corner of the rail and lots more out in the dark that I could only hear .
I started with a Swimbait and nailed 2 in a row like this ..
100_4740.jpg

Them missed fish after fish so I tied on the Atom (Striper Swiper) and I banged fish like this one after another for 2 hours .
100_4741.jpg

100_4742.jpg

At 4am the bite just stopped and the current was very strong and the water had become MUD !!

I estimate I caught 25 fish in that flurry plus the half dozen out back .
I left and hit the Broadkill and Wagamons at 5am ..

12-14-09 Wagamons , Broadkill & Silver Lake
The bite died at 4am at IRI so I headed to the Broadkill (Milton). It was still dark for 2 hours but I caught a decent amount of Crappie just nothing over 10" ..
100_4743.jpg

It was DARK >>
100_4744.jpg

100_4745.jpg

When the sun came up the Crappie went nuts for about 45 minutes .. They were crashing everywhere and I took full advantage :)
When the bite slowed and the sun was all the way up I went to Wagamons and found it like this ..
100_4749.jpg

100_4750.jpg

I got 2 6" Crappie and thats it so I headed back to the Broadkill and played with these ..
100_4751.jpg

I hit Wagamons again an hour later with no bites so back to the Broadkill to play some more hoping the sun would warm the water in Wagamons but the bite just didnt happen .. Maybe late afternoon they did like 2 days ago when Sport , Josh and I tore them up .

So I headed North around noon but could help but stop at the Training Area for awhile :)
100_4752.jpg

100_4754.jpg

Caught Crappie on almost every cast .. This is where I am casting .. No visible structure and only about 4 feet deep . We fish right past that hanging branch ..
100_4753.jpg

Long night .. Lots of fish .. Ran out of gas and drifted into the gas station and made it to the pump :)
What a trip :)

Silver Lake 12-15-09
Sport and I hit the Lake at noonish and fished until 4pm .. The fish were a tad slow but still fish on almost every cast . We used 2 to 3 inch plastics but I doubt it matters what the color or shape is . We were well into the triple digits :)
We got some nice Crappie ..
100_4759.jpg

I even got a nice 4 poundish LMB and lost 1 that went over 5 pounds .. What a blast with 6 pound test :)
100_4760.jpg

Got some smaller Crappie too ..
100_4761.jpg

Sport even got a decent Gill and the White Perch were nowhere around today .
Its funny because all the time I spend there I never noticed this ..
100_4756.jpg

100_4757.jpg

There are 4 pairs of sneakers and I sweatshirt up there and you can see how high they are in this pic ..
100_4758.jpg

Someone had to climb up there and nail those sneakers to the tree (Except 1 pair that a metal bracket was used to hold that pair up)

IRI 12-15 / 12-16 2009
Sport and I headed down to IRI . I had made plans to meet up with JoeS at around 10pm . We got there at about 9:30pm and headed out back where Joe joined us a few minutes later .
Joe said he's been out front on the rail with fish popping but nothing chewing .. The winds were against the fishermen that night for sure out front .
So we talked for a bit while rigging up then began searching for the Striped ones .
Sport had brought a light rod with 10# Braid tonight to play around with and did pretty well .. I'll get to that ;)
Anyhow Sport was first to land a fish ..
100_4763.jpg

He was also 2nd and 3rd .. Bastage :) .. 3 to ZIP !
I took it in stride and finally locked into to one myself ..
100_4764.jpg

Then I caught this guy with my hands :)
100_4766.jpg

Sport then landed 3 more almost in a row and had me shaking my head but I noticed that tonight the current was really bad and everything we threw was pushed into the bulked wall .. I couldnt get down deep but I believe the light 10 pound braid allowed Sport to get to the fish by falling faster in that current .. So I adjusted from a 4" to a 6" and it went from 6 to 1 to 6 a piece :) A tie ..
They were eating it up too ..
100_4769.jpg

And ready to BUST ..
100_4775.jpg

100_4773.jpg

Water clarity was as good as I have seen it this fall since the dredge ..
100_4776.jpg

My next fish I hooked up to was a brute and ripped drag a few times and never came to the top .. I fought it in close but she ran left and into and around some kind of obstruction .. I gave it slack then pulled and felt the fish still on so I tried a few thing to no avail so I just waited like you'd do when a Tog gets into the rocks .. after 30 seconds I pulled and thought she was free .. I felt her pull and stop again so I waited again and this time she pulled free and at the same time I look over and see Sport holding his rod funny and then my Swimbait lost all pressure and the fish was gone just 10 feet from me .. I also see about 20 yards of Sports 10 pound braid "Strangling" my swimbait .. Dont know how that happened but and I kiddingly said "Way to JINX a brother Sport " :):) J/K Sport .
Sport then naile 3 more making it 9 to 3 .. WE usually dont do this but it was fun to bust each others balls in good fun .. Joe on the other hand had mentioned someone going swimming at one point ;) LMAO !
Joe was having problems but I dont think it was his fault , I believe he had the wrong gear for the situation and just could not correct it .. I think the Rod he had was WAY to stiff to throw those smaller swimbaits .
Joe next time I'll bring a spare 7.5 footer if you need it .. You can use my Start Rod if you'd like or the Sea Striker ( I was using the Sea Striker that night ) .
Any how Right Hook snuck up on us around midnight saying the fish were spalshing out front but the winds would not let him get close to them .. Not sure how long he was behind us but after losing my 5th swimbait I turned around and saw him .. wasnt sure who it was either until he spoke .. Great to see ya again Steve .
Steve made a cast or 2 and called it a night as he was just too cold .
Steve said Tim was out front so I was gonna go see how he was doing and bring him out back but Sport needed to warm up so he said he'd drive around and give Tim a heads up .
So anyhow Tim managed a nice fatty TB too ..
100_4777.jpg

After that we fished for 2 hours with NO bites or bumps at all so we head out front .
We find Joe already fishing the rail and fish crashing but nothing like the other night .. The winds seemed to have spreaded them out thin as they were all around the entrance to the CG station only .
I had a 4" PM on and gave it a shot getting a bite on the 2nd cast but no hookup .. A few more I get another and lost the tail of that swimbait .
It was too hard for all4 of us to fish that spot so Sport and I headed around back and let Joe and Tim try to coac a fish onto the hook ..
They didnt land any and Joe left and Tim rejoined us but no more fish that night .
It was great to see everyone and not a bad night at all .

Joe I hope it was a lost cause for you and I hope you picked up some kind of tips to use in the future .. we gotta do it again soon ;):)

Tim I wish you told me you were staying down for another night ?

Sport and I headed to Milton for Crappie after the bite died at 4am at IRIand Tim said he might hit Garrisons .. It was almsot 4:30am when we left .

Broadkill & Wagamons 12-16-09
After the fish quit at IRI Sport and I hit the Broadkill in Milton and caught Crappie from Dark until the sun was all the way up (5am to about 7am).
We used smaller Crappie Magnets and the 1.75" Fin"S" after sun up and 2" White twisters in the dark .. We tore them up pretty good with a few Gills in the mix . The crappie were aggressive until sun up then went deep and a bit harder to catch .
After sunrise we hit Wagamons for a bit and I get this Yellow Perch on the 1st cast on a Crappie Magnet ..
100_4778.jpg

We fished hard for another hour with ZERO bites and called it a day around 10:30am .

Latest posts