12x36 Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose_716

Reaction score
This boat will be used for duck hunting with a long tail muc motor that i built. Previous owner had leaks and rivets that were bad instead of redoing them he applied fiberglass and poly resin. Well I would like to apply steel flex to it but the steel flex is epoxy and epoxy doesn't stick to poly resin very good. I have tried a a wire stripper no luck, tried random orbital sander with 40 grit sand paper well it kinda works but very slow. Tried grinder with 36 grit sand paper now we are cooking just worried should i remove paint also or just fiberglass and resin then use sander to remove paint. would hate to creat another hole or grind the aluminium to thin. any ideas or suggestions.

if your worried about taking to much aluminum off while getting the paint off just use some good paint stripper it might even help with that epoxy stuff thats on it

i made a float for an old boat motor and didnt think any thing about the epoxy i used to coat the float but it didnt even hold up to gas superglue does tho who would of thought

I used a pail of SMARTSTRIP from Home Depot. I just brushed it on, waited an hour, scraped a little, and then then pressure washed. It took off the easy stuff, now I plan to just scuff it up to prime and paint next spring. There's lot's more pics in my thread below as I used it like this all summer.

Attachments

• boat mod 002 (800x600).jpg
    boat mod 002 (800x600).jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 975
  • boat mod 003 (800x600).jpg
    boat mod 003 (800x600).jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 975
not really sure how to post pics but i bought a kit from ebay "mud motor" or "thai long tail" anyway it is based off a thailand long tail which is different then ours they don't use a joint for the angle. It is a straight long shaft you do have to fill the motor with oil because you tilt the motor. I bought a motor from harbor freight 6.5 hp for 79.00. I went to a place called NR racing and bought a carb that was bored out, i advanced the timing key by 8 degrees, a venturi tube with a open air filter, new exhaust and muffler. It works great

Latest posts