1436 Jon project kinda done

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks awesome i gotta see the templates for your camo please please thats a gotta do on my boat as i hunt with it more than i fish

scottbustech said:
looks awesome i gotta see the templates for your camo please please thats a gotta do on my boat as i hunt with it more than i fish

DSC03884.jpg

I simply googled camo templates and traced the image on some skecth paper. I then had my son cut out the images and I then traced onto cardboard. Now I cut those out with one of those sketch knives, it took all about three nights. :)

Waterwings said:
Wow, that's really lookin' good! I clicked on the last pic and it got a little bigger :wink: . Camo job looks great! 8)

Thanks, I went round and round with it for awhile on what to put on her, I like camo

Runnen into an issue here.

Its my battery and tank set up
DSC03894.jpg

My battery case sticks up pass the seat about 3 or 4 inches and I'm wondering how to still inclose it with it still looken clean, this is a mistake measurement on my part, I plan on adding a 5/8 board on top of the back bench so as to add the seat mount to, I was wanting to run the board clean over the battry and tank but, with the battery sticking up I'm wondering how goofy it would look if I added a step up to cover the battery tray?

as for the 3gallon tank I think I will cut a notch into the back of the seat so it will fit down in there

DSC03893.jpg

DSC03895.jpg

Will the gas tank not fit turned 90 degrees and setting between the knee braces? That is the setup I use for my 6 gal. tank.

Not an answer concerning the batteries, but would it be easier to buy a gas tank (hopefully same capacity) that will fit flush and not stick up, so you don't have to notch the seat? Just a thought

RAPALA said:
HOW BIG OF A DECK ARE YOU PUTTING ON THE BACK?

Not putting a deck on, just using 5/8 plywood on the back bench so I can mount my pedestal seat to it more securly. As I do this I was thinking to run the plywood to the transom for cosmetic reasons.

Ouachita said:
Will the gas tank not fit turned 90 degrees and setting between the knee braces? That is the setup I use for my 6 gal. tank.

I was thinking of that, but would not like the apperance, after putting all the cosmetic to this boat it'd be cheesy I'd think, you know what I mean, everything looken good up to this tank sticken out.

Waterwings said:
Not an answer concerning the batteries, but would it be easier to buy a gas tank (hopefully same capacity) that will fit flush and not stick up, so you don't have to notch the seat? Just a thought

I looked and I looked, about the smallest one I found.

I was thinking of notching out under the lip of the seat, right on the wall of the bench there, just enough for the tank's handle to fit into. and I would cover it with the plywood, but, My stinken battery tray sticks up :x

all this may lead me to leave open the back, but, I do not want to, I'd really like to make it look slick back there.

Just wondering how it would look if I raised up the plywood to cover all this?

Anyone got a similar boat project picture of this issue?

It will look good...If you are doing what I think you are doing......

Look at this link and watch his video...he did some mods to the side of his boat that I think you could easily adapt to the back. If you watch it I think you will know what I mean.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1697

I ran into the same problem with the mod I have in progress. I ended up building a 2 x 4 frame on top of the bench to add height. You could probably go with less to get clearance for your battery. Maybe 2 x 3's?

Ouachita said:
I ran into the same problem with the mod I have in progress. I ended up building a 2 x 4 frame on top of the bench to add height. You could probably go with less to get clearance for your battery. Maybe 2 x 3's?

Thanks, looken good on yours :D

Ok did the aluminum bracing, I used 1" by 1/8 thick L-angle, I used a "BigDaddy" pop rivet tool for mounting it to the boat ribs. These are 1/4 in diameter rivets they use on autos and they are very proud of them--.61 cents each :shock: They was hard to find as well.

so she shouldn't go anywhere, also the "BigDaddy gun is expensive where I have looked, starts out at $130 bucks, I've seen it for $40 bucks on ebay--I got this one at HarborFrieght.com for $13.95 :shock: isn't that somethen :roll:

well here are some picks, let me know if ya want a pic of something closer, I'd be glad too.
DSC03730.jpg
I made three of these at 3', totally custom fit, no formula. I made one and copied the other two from it.

DSC03729.jpg

DSC03880.jpg
I'm going to have a 14" X 16" opening for dry storage(with lid), I'm thinking of putting another door on this deck or not, But, will be plenty others in other spots
DSC03879.jpg

I did get to cut out the paltform but, no pic of it yet(the Tompson sealer is still drying on it"

Jim said:
Love it man! The aluminum bracing is awesome!

On a side note...If the same bracing was made in wood....would it be lighter?

Well, good question, As for my knowledge of that, I need to go back and grab 9th grade(so your going back) and what I remember is the mass amount of One pound of wood verses mass One pound of aluminum.

Your wood mass would out put the aluminum, sooo to get the strength I wanted for this 230+ frame of mine, I would not have room for the wood :lol:

It was a support thing for me, wood would have worked, I chose the aluminum for safer reasons on my part only :D

LOOKS GOOD ALUM. IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO.IT WILL BE THERE FOR AS LONG AS THE WILL FLOAT.YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY IT WATER LOGING LIKE WOOD OR ROTTING.

im not questioning your design or style couse i love the aluminum braces im just wonderind with the rivits being so expensive. why not just use 1/4 inch bolts . i only ask couse thats my plans and it seems like you have given this build lots of thought