1436 Jon project kinda done

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
scottbustech said:
im not questioning your design or style couse i love the aluminum braces im just wonderind with the rivits being so expensive. why not just use 1/4 inch bolts . i only ask couse thats my plans and it seems like you have given this build lots of thought

Good questioned, I wanted strength, didn't want a chance for stripping down the road.

I have seen it done before as well. I used a total of 15 rivets for securing to the ribs, everything else was 1/4 bolts :D

hope this explains 8)

FishingBuds said:
Jim said:
Love it man! The aluminum bracing is awesome!

On a side note...If the same bracing was made in wood....would it be lighter?

Well, good question, As for my knowledge of that, I need to go back and grab 9th grade(so your going back) and what I remember is the mass amount of One pound of wood verses mass One pound of aluminum.

Your wood mass would out put the aluminum, sooo to get the strength I wanted for this 230+ frame of mine, I would not have room for the wood :lol:

It was a support thing for me, wood would have worked, I chose the aluminum for safer reasons on my part only :D

I had a 375 pound boy on my front decking the other day it didn't even make a peep or move.

Love the alum framing, why did you stop the framing from going all the way to the front?

pbw said:
FishingBuds said:
Jim said:
Love it man! The aluminum bracing is awesome!

On a side note...If the same bracing was made in wood....would it be lighter?

Well, good question, As for my knowledge of that, I need to go back and grab 9th grade(so your going back) and what I remember is the mass amount of One pound of wood verses mass One pound of aluminum.

Your wood mass would out put the aluminum, sooo to get the strength I wanted for this 230+ frame of mine, I would not have room for the wood :lol:

It was a support thing for me, wood would have worked, I chose the aluminum for safer reasons on my part only :D

I had a 375 pound boy on my front decking the other day it didn't even make a peep or move.

Love the alum framing, why did you stop the framing from going all the way to the front?

I was waiting for this question---Cost is mainly why.

structually its fine, I could've over killed it(my oppinion) and ran it to the bow but really wasn't needed. You'll see in the earlier photo I have a piece of L-angle laying there, I mounted it to the bow bench(1/4dim rivets), it'll catch the plywood. Me and my 100# son and the wife(no weight intended) stood on the 5/8 plywood and walked about, it did fine.

This boat won't see the big waters like KY lake or Barkley lake or even Potoka lake(liked to have a griz 1448 for those), so it should be fine for my local fishy holes. :D

nice weather this weekend, got to work on the boat some more., I finished the front deck
DSC03899.jpg

DSC03900.jpg

DSC03901.jpg

I liked how the hatch turned out(it wasn't very friendly to me) the hinge was a pain to get just right :x and I got three more to do

DSC03902.jpg

carpeted the back bench and popped riveted the seat bracket on. Once again I used 1/4 inch diameter auto rivets and its not going anywhere.
DSC03903.jpg

The "Big Daddy" rivet gun :D

Well did get the middle floor made and crapeted. I still need to get a Lock'N-pin seat base plate for the floor, that way I can use the seat off the back bench along with a pedestal.
DSC03957.jpg

I think I'll like my storage, we'll see
DSC03958.jpg

I added a incloser up front on the bow, this is where I'll hide some of the wires, make a cleaner hook up look :)
DSC03959.jpg

Well, the son is happy :D
DSC03960.jpg

gettin closer :p

The boat looks great- I'm actually in the process of putting a deck on my boat as well. Quick question though- how did you add support from the angled aluminum to the sides of the boat? I can't seem to figure out the "perfect" way of doing that.
Thanks,
Nathan

cobrastrike said:
The boat looks great- I'm actually in the process of putting a deck on my boat as well. Quick question though- how did you add support from the angled aluminum to the sides of the boat? I can't seem to figure out the "perfect" way of doing that.
Thanks,
Nathan

I made three 3' trusses and popped rivevted them to the runners and bench seat. I then installed a 33" l-angle on the front bow seat. I cut and liad the board on top of it all, the board is not attatched to the supports. I weigh 250# and it does fine, check out the early'er pics and see if that helps ya, if ya would like a certain pic let me know what and I'll try to post it.
good luck on it. :)

well finally ran the wires, and added the battery here's my latest
DSC03980.jpg

DSC03984.jpg

DSC03983.jpg

DSC03985.jpg

DSC03982.jpg

DSC03981.jpg

I added 16g shhet metal on the back of the doors. Just a few more things and thats it, for now :D

No Way, I say you went out and bought a brand new boat. :D

Just Kidding. That came out great. That came out awesome.