14ft Monark Jon Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nick Jones said:
Quick Question??????????

I have some scrap plywood laying around and (this may sound stupid) wanted to know if there is a way to tell if it is treated.

I'm sure there is a definitive test that I don't know about, but in general, treated wood is noticeably heavier.

Henry Hefner said:
Nick Jones said:
Quick Question??????????

I have some scrap plywood laying around and (this may sound stupid) wanted to know if there is a way to tell if it is treated.

I'm sure there is a definitive test that I don't know about, but in general, treated wood is noticeably heavier.

The wood will be darker also.

Ok, the front deck is built. I have not cut my cubby holes yet and I am glade. I almost cut them out before setting the plywood in the boat. Once in the boat I noticed that if I had cut the holes I would have not had a place for my foot control.

Also, after looking for about an hour I gave up on trying to find stainless steel hex screws. I did find out that aluminum rivets are the bomb.

Attachments

• boat 086.jpg
    boat 086.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 5,201
  • boat 087.jpg
    boat 087.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 5,192
  • boat 080.jpg
    boat 080.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 5,191
  • boat 078.jpg
    boat 078.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 5,191
  • boat 072.jpg
    boat 072.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 5,209
:D :D :D that is so cool.i have a 14-36 alumacraft and wanted to paint ti white with the bottum being black.boy are you makin me want to redo my boat.

It looks really great. I really like the White myself, but like they said up above, I think that I would be really hard to keep clean, but I really like it. The deck looks good as well. Keep up the good work.

Looks great.

There are alot of clean white boats out there, just not alot of white jon boats.

Brine said:
Looks great.

There are alot of clean white boats out there, just not alot of white jon boats.

I am working with some free surplus paint...

petticoat3.jpg

... will anyone notice?
:D

White is nice and clean looking! I am actually using battleship gray... kind of boring!

Hey, I'm painting mine black in about 2 days (hopefully). So, if its awful, I'll let you know, but I think it will have the WoW factor (more like, WoW that boat looks amazing!), and I love black, and it goes with my carpet. I like the white, its different, its not green or grey or camo, so it stands out. Keep up the great work my friend! Did your friend spray it? Also, did you sand and prime it first? If so, what grade sandpaper, and what primer? Like I said though, looks awesome!

baptistpreach said:
Hey, I'm painting mine black in about 2 days (hopefully). So, if its awful, I'll let you know, but I think it will have the WoW factor (more like, WoW that boat looks amazing!), and I love black, and it goes with my carpet. I like the white, its different, its not green or grey or camo, so it stands out. Keep up the great work my friend! Did your friend spray it? Also, did you sand and prime it first? If so, what grade sandpaper, and what primer? Like I said though, looks awesome!

The best thing that I found for removing the paint was (got this idea from Russ010) a wire brush that goes in the end of a power drill. You can get them at Wal*Mart. I think they cost 4 to 5 dollars. The one I got was made by black and decker. Make sure it has gold wires and states it is for Rust/Paint removal.

My friend has a spray gun and it only took him 30 minutes to put 3 coats on it.

It will probably look nice but you will cook in a black boat in the summer. Trust me on that one.

Even charcoal grey carpet inside a white boat gets like an oven.

So what primer did you use? I don't really have old paint I don't think at least. You've seen my boat, what is that really flat grey?

Here are some pics of what I did tonight. This is not finished. I temporarily tacked this together with the nail gun and will finish the support tomorrow for the front. Also, I wanted to get an idea of how high I need to build the stand for my trolling motor.

There are also pics of the back of my boat. I have a gas tank problem. I wanted to build a deck going all the way to the transom but after scratching my head I realized there would be no way for me to get my gas tank/battery in-and-out. So, after talking to and reviewing some pics from the Preach (BaptistPreach) I realized I would have to come forward. I am not going to come as far forward as he did but enough to have a cubby hole for my life jackets.

Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• boat 099.jpg
    boat 099.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,882
  • boat 097.jpg
    boat 097.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,882
  • boat 096.jpg
    boat 096.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,885
  • boat 092.jpg
    boat 092.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 1,882
  • boat 093.jpg
    boat 093.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,882
Nick Jones said:
I have a gas tank problem. I wanted to build a deck going all the way to the transom but after scratching my head I realized there would be no way for me to get my gas tank/battery in-and-out. So, after talking to and reviewing some pics from the Preach (BaptistPreach) I realized I would have to come forward. I am not going to come as far forward as he did but enough to have a cubby hole for my life jackets.

I think it may be a good idea to move the gas tank and battery forward for weight distribution, but if you really want it in the very back, why don't you just make the entire area from the bench to the transom a heavy-duty hatch? That would give you room to put in big items and have a full deck. Here is some pics of what someone else did: Clicky

I like it! I do have a solution though, use a 3 gallon gas tank. It'll fit in the back with no problems. Good work. My boat is gonna look like your tomorrow morning....

And then I'll paint over the primer!! :lol:

baptistpreach said:
I like it! I do have a solution though, use a 3 gallon gas tank. It'll fit in the back with no problems. Good work. My boat is gonna look like your tomorrow morning....

And then I'll paint over the primer!! :lol:

that's the problem! I don't want to give up my super cool gas tank 8).lol

I guess I will probably have to. Where do I find a 3 gallon metal gas tank? I can get plastic but I prefer the old school metal tanks.

Henry Hefner said:
Nick Jones said:
I have a gas tank problem. I wanted to build a deck going all the way to the transom but after scratching my head I realized there would be no way for me to get my gas tank/battery in-and-out. So, after talking to and reviewing some pics from the Preach (BaptistPreach) I realized I would have to come forward. I am not going to come as far forward as he did but enough to have a cubby hole for my life jackets.

I think it may be a good idea to move the gas tank and battery forward for weight distribution, but if you really want it in the very back, why don't you just make the entire area from the bench to the transom a heavy-duty hatch? That would give you room to put in big items and have a full deck. Here is some pics of what someone else did: Clicky

I noticed you said you mounted the back deck to the wood transom. I thought about that but wasn't sure it would hold up over time. Also, did you mean you screwed into the wood transom with wood screws or all the way through the transom using bolts?

Like the Preach said I probably need to make my tanks smaller so that should decrease the weight in the back a little.

Thanks for the help. Let me know about the transom.

Nick Jones said:
Henry Hefner said:
Nick Jones said:

I noticed you said you mounted the back deck to the wood transom. I thought about that but wasn't sure it would hold up over time. Also, did you mean you screwed into the wood transom with wood screws or all the way through the transom using bolts?

Like the Preach said I probably need to make my tanks smaller so that should decrease the weight in the back a little.

Thanks for the help. Let me know about the transom.

The link I posted was not to my boat, but to someone else's, so I am not sure what they used. If it were me, I would bolt a piece of aluminum angle through the transom for strength, trying to use the same bolts that hold on the transom wood now. If those bolts are too high, maybe you could use larger angle to reach?

this is how i did my rear hatch using the transom and rear bench as support, look close and you can see how the hatch overlaps the rear bench, and transom is solid piece. i can stand on it with no flex.

Attachments

• 1010.jpg
    1010.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 2,563
  • 1011.jpg
    1011.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 2,564
  • 1012.jpg
    1012.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 2,565
  • 1013.jpg
    1013.jpg