1964 loanstar please help with ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireshadow

Reaction score
DSC01931-1.jpg

I picked her up this summer and she floats great, and is a lot of fun to fish from. Now that winter is hear though I would like to make some improvements to her. I started to make the front deck with some 3/4 in plywood and a 2x4 brace. works good but is one piece not hinged yet and add a seat to the front. I would like to build another platform in the back for throwing the cast net put a floor down and maybe a live well and box or brace for a cooler. My biggest question for right now is can I remove the benches or do they have to stay for structural support? Is there another way to brace it? It has to be sound since my fishing partner is my 3 year old daughter. Thanks

You got some good potential there. Question: What is that creeping up the back of the transom, next to the trolling motor in the sixth picture ?

You've fished out of her some now, so you have a fair idea of what your needs are right now.
Step 1: Get EVERYTHING out of the boat and out of the way.
Step 2: Once she's empty, spend at an hour a day for at least the next week to ten days with a cup of coffee (or whatever) in your hand just staring at her. Think about what you're wanting to do with her now and what you might want to do with her in the future. Some day that three year old girl is gonna be ten, with maybe a couple of siblings. While you're staring at the boat, thinking about what you want your priorties to be, dozens of ideas will come and go until a plan starts to develop in your mind.
Step 3: Now its time to get started. Just remember that every decision you make has a domino effect. Whatever you decide to do at Step A will affect what you are able to do at Step B and onward.

What a cool Ted Williams retro motor. I hope it runs like a top. It was made during the early space-age era and everything back then had to look like a rocket going to the moon. That's why Andy's '64 Ford had booster rocket tail lights. Too cool. They say ol' Ted Williams had such good eye sight he could tell which way the ball was spinning when it left the pitcher's hand and would know how it was going to break. Oh. You asked about a boat. It's a small boat so keep any decking low low low. Look at the top of this forum at the topic "Decking when to and when not to." You want to stay away from 2x4's because of the weight. 2x2's or aluminum tubing for your bracing. Stay away from pressure treated plywood as it has bad reactions with aluminum. Snoop around this site and look at what other people have done with boats like yours. Clean your motor up but don't ever paint it. It's worth a lot more with the original Ted Williams on it. Why not stay with the rocket theme. Lots of lights and a cock pit like area around the tiller. Old Air Force paint scheme on the exterior. I don't drink and I'm not on drugs but it don't mean I'm not crazy.

Good boat there, fire! Wow, I just joined this site, and already have seen your Lone Star and one Arkansas Traveler! Boats I used to see often when I was a tadpole around the waters. Very nostalgic!

And, that Ted Williams motor! I like what you have! Keep her high and dry - well, except when you get 'er wet!

Looks good man have you gotten a chance to fish your boat with the bimini top on it? I wouldnt mind having one of those if you can still cast out pretty freely

You want the ted willams you can have it. It has ben nothing but a pain since i got it. Though it did come free with the boat. It's just not reliable enough for me, it's left me stranded twice. So it will be going as soon as I can find a replacement. Your boat looks great Sgt. I am thinking a front and rear deck with a floor in between and a seat in the middle. With some panels on the sides for reinforcement.

is that a tilt trailer youve got that on? really short tongue on that trailer if it is? kind of defeats the purpose of a tilt trailer

Yes it's a tilt but I rarely ever use it unless I am putting in at a pond without a boat ramp. Also its the trailer set up I bought the boat with. I haven't done much to the trailer except change out the bunker boards and a new winch. Other than that trailer works great.

hey Sgt. where did you get that top I would like to put one on my rig for the summer, the sun down here can be ruff in july and aug, as you know.

Latest posts