1984 bass tracker tournament tx redeaux

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
onthewater102 said:
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=335

Those are rated for 1500 lbs - I might go for the 2000lb ones. I certainly would not want to be using them as light as 800-1000. Figure your outboard is going to weigh about 200lb, trolling motor another 50, batteries probably 75+, 6 gal of fuel 36lbs...that's easily another 350lbs on top of the boat hull (840 per NADA) and trailer (200lbs? +/- sprung weight.) So that's easily 1,300lbs without getting into all the minutia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally agree I would try the ones you got for it if you need to after that you could go down but I doubt it unless you are talking about each spring is 2000 pounds. Then yes I would drop to 1000 pound spring for a total of 2000

The boat is turning out great. But man I really love the trailer.

Hey thanks for the replies! My boat is the tournament tx which is 595lbs. Your spot on with the motor. Man if that trailer is 200lbs assembled, thats the heaviest 200lbs ive ever tried to pick up when i took it off the jack stands. You think i should swap out for the 1500 llb springs? Spring ratings are doubled essentially with 2 springs right? So that would put me at 3000lb weight capacity correct? Or am i wrong? Do i need springs lighter then 1500 lb? Thanks

Hey thanks ya'll! Labor of love! Sir i bought the springs online and they were sold as 2000lb springs.... dang

I see I went down the wrong tree on NADA - that's really cool that those boats were so light! 595lbs for a 17' sounds awesome.

Don't forget a good amount of the weight to your trailer is in the axle and the wheels. Only the weight bearing on the springs from the framing & bunks contributes to the weight they need to support. All of it counts toward your vehicle towing capacity of course.

If the pair of springs was sold as rated for 2000lbs then I think you got the right ones because you're at better than half their rated capacity. The rating for the pair would be for a trailer with them installed, not a per-spring figure.

Well i called and confirmed that the weight rating for leaf springs is "per spring", and that 2 2000 lb. springs would equate to a 4000 pound weight rating. I purchased some 1500 lb springs to replace them with. I feel like they are still a little high, but its the lightest i could find without re-working my hangers and shackles which im really not interested in doing. The fellow i talked to agreed that the 2000 lb. springs would have made my set up ride like a tank down the road.... lesson learned. If these springs ride too ruff ill just get a set custom made. I called a couple of places here in houston and was quoted 100 bux a peice for custom springs.... :?

Yes, after this I realized there are two specs listed for leaf springs - per spring rating and axle rating - but sites aren't consistent with which one they publish as the "rating" so asking was definitely a smart move here.

Saw your post about the issue of the trailer width on another thread - could you put spacers beneath your bunks and raise them 1/2" or so? It looks in the photos that even though it is a tight fit to the top side there is more gap at the bottom that you might be able to take advantage of by raising the boat. I tried to mark the gaps I'm seeing in this pic.

NzRJY6h.jpg

IMG_2232.JPG got my light bar and running light mounted on the bow last night! I love it when projects start coming together =D>

onthewater102 said:
Yes, after this I realized there are two specs listed for leaf springs - per spring rating and axle rating - but sites aren't consistent with which one they publish as the "rating" so asking was definitely a smart move here.

Saw your post about the issue of the trailer width on another thread - could you put spacers beneath your bunks and raise them 1/2" or so? It looks in the photos that even though it is a tight fit to the top side there is more gap at the bottom that you might be able to take advantage of by raising the boat. I tried to mark the gaps I'm seeing in this pic.

NzRJY6h.jpg
Hey man thanks for the help! I was laying in bed last night obsessing over my situation, and this option came to mind. Are there any negative consequences to raising the boat up on the trailer? I realize i would have to raise the bow stop as well. The only thing i can think of is that i would have to back down the ramp farther for launch and retrieval. My only concern with lifting the boat is that i have a 2 wd truck and id sure hate for it to get sucked out to sea! Lol not sure how much of a difference it would make. Im going to see if bowler can get me an accurate measurment on how much lift it will take to clear the tops of the fenders. I feel like this is the best way to do this. I was at work yesterday vomiting in my mouth at the thought of cutting my fenders for clearance. I have to have this thing done by the first weekend in june, and im quickly running out of time!

Someone else argue with me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how adding ~1/2" of height is going to make much of a difference in how far you back in at the launch unless it is a super shallow grade.

Hey thanks man. They about 3/8 to a 1/2 inch thick. I will see if i can find a piece of my scrap here at work so i can get an acurate measurment.

onthewater102 said:
Someone else argue with me if I'm wrong, but I don't see how adding ~1/2" of height is going to make much of a difference in how far you back in at the launch unless it is a super shallow grade.
to be honest with you, i was thinking more worst case scenario. Im thinking im going to have to come up an inch or two for adequate clearance. Could be wrong. I will know more once bowler measures for me.

I found a scrap piece here at work and measured it. Its 1/2" thick on the nose.

Rock solid man! Thank you for taking the time to help me out, i really appreciate it. I can work with that. Those pics are perfect. Rekkin im going to space the bunks up a hair and bevel the top edge of the material covering the backs of the fenders so i have a little clearance. Anyone have an idea on what would be the safest way to space out my bunks?