2-stroke/4-stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
At the risk of igniting the 2-stroke vs: 4-stroke debate - for those of you who are still undecided here's a link to a site that lists pros and cons for both. It doesn't recommend either, just points out some facts and features of each.

Your link must be invisible. :shock:

:lol:

I like 4 strokes. They are ultra quiet and literally sip gas.

I would like them a lot better if they weren't so heavy and had the performance of 2 strokes. :lol:

That’s a very good article but I do disagree with them on one thing:

They state that the 4 strokes are more economical. Fuel wise, maybe. Cost wise, no way. If you compare 2 and 4 strokes of equal HP, the initial cost and maintenance on 4 is quite a bit more. Granted both will need impellers, plugs, and lower end oil changed on a regular basis, that’s where 2 stroke maintenance stops. 4 strokes still require regular oil changes, valve adjustments and timing belts to be replaced at certain intervals. More often than not, your average backyard mechanic won’t be able to do that. Although 4 strokes might be more fuel efficient, you’d have to burn through a lot of gas to create those savings.

This is probably one of the better articles showing the pros and cons of each stroke. There are some decent compromises though. The E-tecs are nice motors. Or if you can find a 2 stroke with oil injection, you don’t have to mix gas. It’s all about personal preference. I know on some of the smaller boats like we run on this site, guys take there gas motors off to go electric only. I’d hate to have to lift a 4 stroke off the back of my boat.

The biggest reason I went with a 4stroke when it came time to purchase a new engine was with several lakes talking about excluded 2stroke engines I figured it was a safer investment.

Most people don't run their vehicles in excess of 5k rpm the majority of the time, either.

Adjusting the valves in motorcycle and atv engines is not uncommon, which is more closely related to a 4 stroke outboard than a V8.

I don't know that they have to be checked that frequently but going out and "running the piss out of it" and never giving it a second thought is probably not a swift idea, either.

probably because a car engine is not even close to a outboard....... never adjust a car.... nope prolly cuz there is no adjustment :LOL2: just springs to be changed and seats to be grinded.

I had to regularly reset the valves on my 4-stroke dirtbike. What marine facility said that it is a scam..... want to know so I can make sure to never use thier services.

If you could please post the article released From Honda or Suzuki stating they base their outboards on their car engines, I would love take a look at that. :shock:

nevermind..... found it myself

https://www.suzukimarine.com/faqs/technology/32/

"Critical structural parts have been redesigned for marine use, such as the cylinder head, block, crankshaft, connecting rods, camshafts and pistons, to provide maximum reliability and durable operation."

Ahhhhh............. so not the same. And an orange is the same as an apple, only totally different. :lol:

Well I'll stick with my 2009 Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke that I just purchased new in the box this month as long as I can. It is only 79 pounds, fuel consumption is not bad, designed to run on E-10 gas, runs smooth above idle, pulls good up to red line, less maintenance, Better dealer network here than other outboard manufactures from Japan, and if needed I can work on it my self. Oh! I can buy performance reeds to get more power out of it. 8) But I think I'll leave it just as it is. Plenty of power for me.

I had a 1995 Yamaha 15 2-stroke that had lots of hours on and it never gave me problems. I just serviced it when required. Water pump impellers are very easy to put in these 15's. All I know is these Yamaha 2-stroke engines have been proven around the world and they are one of the most sought after 15hp engines in Australia.

I am sticking with an engine that worked for me for years. We do not have restrictions on 2-strokes here so I am safe for now. If you have restrictions on some lakes than I would say you have no choice, you will need to run a 4-stroke on them. I would say buy an engine that you would feel comfortable with and have a dealer near by so you can get parts and supplies. They all make a pretty good outboard.

Henry

hwew said:
Well I'll stick with my 2009 Yamaha 15hp 2-stroke that I just purchased new in the box this month as long as I can. It is only 79 pounds, fuel consumption is not bad, designed to run on E-10 gas, runs smooth above idle, pulls good up to red line, less maintenance, Better dealer network here than other outboard manufactures from Japan, and if needed I can work on it my self. Oh! I can buy performance reeds to get more power out of it. 8) But I think I'll leave it just as it is. Plenty of power for me.

I had a 1995 Yamaha 15 2-stroke that had lots of hours on and it never gave me problems. I just serviced it when required. Water pump impellers are very easy to put in these 15's. All I know is these Yamaha 2-stroke engines have been proven around the world and they are one of the most sought after 15hp engines in Australia.

I am sticking with an engine that worked for me for years. We do not have restrictions on 2-strokes here so I am safe for now. If you have restrictions on some lakes than I would say you have no choice, you will need to run a 4-stroke on them. I would say buy an engine that you would feel comfortable with and have a dealer near by so you can get parts and supplies. They all make a pretty good outboard.

Henry

That engine is carbed, right?

boater1234 said:
perchin i never said they were the same i said their motors were based off their automobile engines.They use the same basic concepts but do change alot of the components to stand up to the torture of the saltwater world and the abuse they take. :)Also if u go to hondas website u will see that their engines are 100%based off their cars like the vtec accord and civic.Go to the large motors section and u will see right next to each motor from the 75hp and up it says automotive technology check it out.

Isn’t all technology based on something a generation or two before that?

I mean we’re talking about v-tec. Wasn’t that based off of a dual cam system or something?

And since outboards have internal combustion engines, isn’t it safe to say that the idea of a piston, rod and crank came from an old steam engine?

All engines and technologies are based off of something before that, it’s how they’re modified to withstand their designed uses that I’m concerned with.

So, back to the 2 or 4 stroke topic, have we decided which one is best? :lol:

Hi guys,

Lots of the designs for outboards and todays small engines came from the automotive industry. A matter of fact for years it was the automotive industries that had the cutting edge design and technology that helped other small engine manufactures design and build there products. Remember Chrysler outboards? Ford helped design many engines for the military. Look at GM.They made detroit diesels that where the top diesel engines for about 50 years. I guess I am trying to get a point accross to prevent a battle from happening here on this forum.

I like 2-strokes because they gave me good service for many years and never had problems with all the Mercury, Evinrude and Yamaha outboards I had.

If you maintain any outboard (2-stroke or 4-stroke) they should give good service.

I been on a pontune boat last week with a 4-stroke 70 hp Yamaha and I loved it. It was nice and quiet, It was smooth, had lots of torque to push it. Small 4-stroke outboards have came a long way and all the main companies have a pretty good 4-stroke now. Remember, no product is perfect. But in this country we still have the liberty to choose a product the will suit our needs.

And some companies are working on computer controlled electronic direct fuel injection for small outboards. who knows we might see small 2-stroke outboards make a comeback.

Henry

clarkbre said:
Isn’t all technology based on something a generation or two before that?

I mean we’re talking about v-tec. Wasn’t that based off of a dual cam system or something?

And since outboards have internal combustion engines, isn’t it safe to say that the idea of a piston, rod and crank came from an old steam engine?

All engines and technologies are based off of something before that, it’s how they’re modified to withstand their designed uses that I’m concerned with.

So, back to the 2 or 4 stroke topic, have we decided which one is best? :lol:

I Agree 100% ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

My point exactly...... one should not give ill advice based on their own misconceptions, rather off the facts. Anything you buy white - black, big - small, 2stroke - 4stroke, is only as good as its owner. :wink:

Really.............. and what facts support the below quote???????????????? I think it is more like the opening line.... FUNNY, considering the obvious. Like there is no adjustment to make in a automobiles valves other than replace them, replace the springs, and grind down the seats.

That is why you have ill misconceptions, because you don't know ant better :roll:
All your trying to do now is back track and save your ego.

boater1234 said:
U wanna here something funny about valve adjustments..........Think for a second how many times in your life do u take your car in for valve adjustments .all this other crap about valves is a scam.He runs the piss out of this motor also,full throttle all the time everywere he goes.Don't waste your money.Suzuki and honda base all their motors from there cars and like i said u have never taken a car in for valve adjustments.
:BS:

Hi guys,

I don't care if a person has a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke and where the technolegy is coming from today. As long as you buy one from one of the big outboard companies and you take care of your outboard and have a good dealer network and you are able to get service and parts where you are you will be ok. They are all good outboards.

Henry

Hi boater1234,

It is not worth getting worked up over some things. Life is to short. Suzuki has a nice 15 hp 4-stroke. And so does Yamaha, Tohatsu, (Mercury which we know is made by Tohatsu) Honda, did I forget any? Some weigh more. Some have some features like spin on oil filters that I like. They all have special features that someone might like over another. But you will have a reliable 15 hp 4-stroke outboard what ever manufacture go with.

I had 2-strokes all my life.
2- Neptune Mighty Mites
1- British Seagull
2-Mercury 4.5's
1-Mercury 7.5
1-Mercury 9.8
1-Mercury 25 XD
1-Evinrude 4hp Deluxe
1-Yamaha 6
2-Yamaha 15's

This is what I am used to and they all gave me good service. And I am confident if I ever have to get a 4-stroke it will give me good service also. I cannot stress how important it is to service an outboard by follow the quidelines in the owners manual.

The bottom line is buy what you feel comfortable with. I know I mentioned this before but make sure you have a good dealer network in your area for the brand you choose.

Yea the Yamaha 15 2-stroke is some engine. I love them. Wait untill I post pictures of the Tach/Hour meter setup on the new engine. It looks like it was built for the engine.

Henry

boater1234 said:
I'm with u hwew,this guy perchin always has to battle me about something ever since i started posting and i never did a thing wrong to him so i'm done with the childish games and going to ignore him as i think his goal is to get me kicked out of here and jim laid down the law once so i will obey his wishes and just leave it alone as it is not worth getting booted over one guy,so i'm done with him once again he thinks for some reason no one on earth but him knows what their talking about so this is the end for me as far as argueing with him. :roll:quote]

Your giving yourself far too much credit :LOL2: you try to spin it as I only know what I'm talking about??? :lol: Your again trying to change the subject that you just really didn't know what you were talking about. :---)

Sorry if it bugs anybody........ just don't feel its fair to the other people looking for sound advice, whom don't know any better, and have to be subject to false information.

I was told that a authorized dealer had to do the maintenance as scheduled on the 4-strokes to keep them under warranty. Is that B.S.? I ended up going with a 2 stroke yamaha anyway.