2013 Whitetail Bow Season... Git Sum!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331632#p331632 said:
Lowe 2070 CC » Yesterday, 14:50[/url]"]Boy brought this one in yesterday to show my neighbor in the office next door, he's a B&C/P&Y official scorer. It grossed green 171 and change (even with the kicker broken off the right side), won't net all that well, but nice deer none the less.
Nice looking deer, any idea on it's weight? I've got a cousin that lives and hunts in Mississippi but had no idea what the deer were like there. Because of their bag limits, I had always assumed the deer were way overpopulated and probably small because of that. I see now I was mistaken. LoL

He was about 175, pretty light for the delta, but about on par for a hill deer. Mature bucks in the delta average 200+ lbs.

Attachments

• 2012-12-12_17-19-29_565.jpg
    2012-12-12_17-19-29_565.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,456
  • Buckhorn 260.jpg
    Buckhorn 260.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 1,456
Lordy what marvelous Deer.
Those Kids will be hooked for life.
My Grand Girls were raised on wild Game. They sitll encourage there SO's to get out and bring back something we can eat! :D
Not to be outdone by a couple of great Kids shots, here's my most mmorable shot. You gotta be good to bring one down by shooting him in the Nose!
Moose nose shot.jpeg

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331695#p331695 said:
thudpucker » Today, 12:58[/url]"]Lordy what marvelous Deer.
Those Kids will be hooked for life.
My Grand Girls were raised on wild Game. They sitll encourage there SO's to get out and bring back something we can eat! :D
Not to be outdone by a couple of great Kids shots, here's my most mmorable shot. You gotta be good to bring one down by shooting him in the Nose!
Wholly smokes thudpucker is that a Moose? I dont think Ive ever seen an animal brought down by a nasal shot! =D> =D> =D>

Yes it was a Cow Moose.
She was only 20 Yards (about) and was looking at my Partner until I shot. Then, just as I released, she turned to me. The next one took her down quickly. It was my one Ugly shot in my whole career.

I needed to carry a movie camera on my hunts.
I tricked a young bull into rushing me.
He stopped just short of giving me the business. The first arrow hit a twig and stuck in his Antlers. It stuck in the far side. But the Fletching end was rattling in the Near side. He was so busy trying to get that thing outta his Rack, I walked up and took him down.
He nearly Defoliated 30 Square feet of Forrest with his Rack. Slashing brush and goring the small trees, but the Arrow was still rattling up there.

Friend of mine killed a doe like that. She was standing off about 60 yards blowing at him after a miss, so he lobbed an arrow at her just to run her off. She saw what was coming and turned to run, but the arrow caught her in the back of the skull.

Better to be lucky than good!

Lowe 2070, those deer are much bigger than I would have ever guessed, and very nice.

I had a similar thing to thudpuckers moose happen to me once but with a whitetail doe. I had this doe browsing on the vegetation about 60 yards away and facing straight toward me. After watching and waiting several minutes, I thought I had her pattern figured out. She would go down, take a bite, come up, look left, look right, then take another bite. I decided to make a chest shot on the next cycle. As soon as she came up, I started to squeeze the trigger, but rather than do her normal right/left look, she came up, paused, then went right back down for another bite. The bullet struck the top edge of her nose and cut a crease up her snout about 3 inches long, then it entered the top of the neck where it meets the shoulders and broke the spine. She dropped right there on the spot but I had to run out and put her down with a second shot as quick as I could. Like a line from the movie Shooter, "When you think you've got it figured, you're wrong". #-o

I grew up in South Arkansas, pine plantation country. Deer in the south delta along the White, Arkansas, Mississippi, and Yazoo rivers are much bigger. Better soil = better nutrition.

Attachments

• IMG_0212_b.JPG
    IMG_0212_b.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,433
I know what you mean. My one "big" hunt that I hope to make in AR each year is the 3 day hunt on the White River Refuge. Of course a lot of that depends on whether or not my name gets drawn or not. Then there are always the other possible problems, like the refuge flood stage or since it's a federal refuge, the federal government being shut down. #-o
With the exception of a few years, I've made this yearly hunt most years since 1970. It's not uncommon to see 1-2 buck break 300 lbs but I've never gotten one of the really big ones myself. From the looks of things right now, unless the nimrods in Washington do something soon, I'll have to chalk up another years missed hunt this year.

My Gran-daughter told me I should document all my hunts.
Can you imagine how long this thread would be?

The Time I got a Raccoon and had to dive to retrieve him...
The Moose I missed. I was talking to myself and the Moose turned toward me and Charged...
The Black Bear that came up the tree after me...
The funniest one was a Caribou that withstood a Loose arrow rattling in his rack. He ran off, then turned around and stomped that arrow to death.
Another White tail that ran from the shot, right out onto a dirt road and attacked a 51 Chevvy Pickup.
And all those blood trails we followed...and cold camps...and all the other fun we had on hunting trips.
Always take somebody with you. There's just no point in leaving a Mystery about the missing hunter. Always take somebody with you to tell the tale.
And the most important part is: "You just cant have this kind of fun unless you get out and do it!"

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331807#p331807 said:
JMichael » Yesterday, 19:50[/url]"]I know what you mean. My one "big" hunt that I hope to make in AR each year is the 3 day hunt on the White River Refuge. Of course a lot of that depends on whether or not my name gets drawn or not. Then there are always the other possible problems, like the refuge flood stage or since it's a federal refuge, the federal government being shut down. #-o
With the exception of a few years, I've made this yearly hunt most years since 1970. It's not uncommon to see 1-2 buck break 300 lbs but I've never gotten one of the really big ones myself. From the looks of things right now, unless the nimrods in Washington do something soon, I'll have to chalk up another years missed hunt this year.

My company owns about 70,000 Ac bordering White River NWR to the South. All of Big Island, Deep Lake etc... Desha County has produced some bruisers the last few years. I looked at one that was 296 lbs and a couple in the 280's.

Some of the friends I grew up with talk about hunting big island years ago. I've never hunted it myself. My friends and I hunt the southern tip of the refuge in Desha co. I'd love to be on good terms with the owner of your co and try to get permission to hunt some of that land. LoL

Jeemeny....70,000 acres? :? 640 Acres is a Square mile. That's possibly a 10 Mile walk to get out. You would have a Map with some key features marked so you could find a Cold one back home.
What do they do with all that land?

That kind of acreage with no Houses or roads has to be pretty much like Daniel Boone left it.

In AK, I recall looking at the Map of the Denali Range where we were going to hunt.
If the plane never came back, we had three choices of Walking out. All of them were miles Long.

There were times the Guide crashed and died. Unless he told his wife or other guides, and people didn't know where his hunters were or how many he had out, the Hunters had to know how to signal distress.

Timber Company. Total ownings of about 500,000 Acres in AR, LA, MS all along the river, much of it accessible only by boat.

In the attached Pic WRNWR would be at the top, the AR river is coming down from Top left to middle, the MS river is coming down from top right and the White river is coming from the NWR. we own all of the cross hatched area below the NWR. Big Island being the block in the center (25,000 Ac) cut off by the three rivers.

Attachments

• Big I.JPG
    Big I.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 1,294
WOW!

That's a bunch of 'good to great' hunting area.
I like slowly cruising down the Rivers looking for Crossing signs.
Do you have Black Bears in there?
Does the Timber Company want you hunting the Bears?
Porkys?

Imagine the Catfish in those Rivers? :LOL2:

Arkansas has a bear season, MS and LA do not. Lots of bears on Big Island.

Pigs are a problem and becoming worse. Can't kill them fast enough to control them.

Hey, Pigs would be good for shooting and eating. Another animal too big and heavy to carry far. Need wheels of some kind.
They tell me we'll have Pigs to deal with here soon enough. I don't want them getting my grand kids.
He's 15, has some Deer to his credit. He should be able to handle a Pig. :D

That 70,000 acre number didn't surprise me at all. White River National Wildlife Refuge has 160,756 acres of mostly bottomland hardwood forest as of May 15th 2013. They have a healthy population of black bears but do not have a season on them. However there is a bear season for some of the lands bordering the refuge. 2 years ago they trapped 150 bears on WRNWR and transplanted them to another refuge in the southern part of the state. Lucky for me my brothers property is only 3 miles from the borders of that refuge and I fully intend to hunt me some black bear in the coming years. WRNWR has a growing wild hog problem. I almost removed one year before last but I couldn't get him to check up after someone jumped him and ran him by me. That area was too thick to try to shoot him on a run with a scoped rifle. Some friends and I are trying to organize a group hunt after the regular season deer hunt and see if we can catch up to some of those hogs.

You know I don't mind dangling from a tree in rain, snow, and ice, but something about thunderstorms and lightening just don't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. Shutting it down till evening hunt.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331936#p331936 said:
panFried » Today, 08:35[/url]"]You know I don't mind dangling from a tree in rain, snow, and ice, but something about thunderstorms and lightening just don't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. Shutting it down till evening hunt.
Yea, we're getting a much wider portion of that same storm system. I don't know if it's even gonna be clear by this afternoon here. Think I'm gonna just try to get some of my other rat killing done today.

Latest posts