2013 Whitetail Bow Season... Git Sum!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondered about PanFried's post.
We have CAVU here. Nice and warm, breezy. Would have been a good day to get out.

Maybe 'ol man stormy' is trying to trick me into getting out, set up, and then he's gonna Storm all over me. :x

Ha thudpucker. Isn't that how it always happens! Nice now waiting on Mr Bucky to walk by! Saw big doe w/ 2 fawns this morning and I just couldn't do it. I know I know, everyone else will but the fawns were way to cute. I'll eat em next year :)

Working with F&G in Washington state. An area had too many Deer, and WAAY to many Doe & Fawn.
It's because people moved into the Habitat. And it's people who don't want us to take the excess out.
People don't know what a Horrible death there would be without the Hunters.
So take what you need, and leave the rest to multiply.

So I can almost guess what the majority of you will say based on the flack I got last night, not to mention from my wife.

I was sitting in my stand last night and a spike buck walks out in front of me milling around eating acorns and totally oblivious to me sitting 10yds away. Needless to say I let him pass for a potentially bigger deer and hopefully the 10pt. Nothing came within shooting range and I left empty handed. Would you have let him pass?

Years ago I'd have taken him. My hunting days a long gone by now.

But F&G says (and showed me) that the Forks n' Spikes are not gonna breed. Those bigger Racks are the Breeders.

I went up in the Mountains above 21 Mile Creek with a Great Bow Hunter from Oregon. We spent a week up there looking for just the right Full Curl Ram.
I wore out a pair of Danner's clamoring up there with that guy.
We saw lot's of Rams, a few Bears too. But he was looking for a Full Curl. So we came down empty handed.
F&G told me: "If you came across a Full curl, he would probably be by himself. Driven off by a younger Ram." He'd be OK to take too.

I always loved hunting in Washington State's Low lands. They have too many deer. Take what you can get.

Lowe 2070 CC said:
If I want meat I'll shoot a doe. Wait till that 1 year old spike is a 3 year old 8 point then shoot him.
Thats what I prefer. Manage the herd by busting the biggin's. However I can't protect them from others. I love meat and filling the freezer but I know my odds will still be good in November for that. I am just being picky now, and catching a lot of flack for it which tends to bother me. Thanks for the opinions.

In the future, my response to them will be - if you want meat, git out there and get them! :)

I don't know how it is for you guys but here in AR the rules change yearly and by zone as to what is legal or not. So it can be legal to shoot either sex and any age in one zone, while in the adjacent zone may be a bucks only 3 point rule (3 points or more on one side), and something totally different in the rest of the zones of the state. Some of the rules they come up with at times are so bad that unless the deer stops in close visual range, you can't be absolutely sure if it's legal or not.

I could never tell a 28" Moose from a 30" Legal, or out in the Bush some times it was a 50" legal Bull.
I always thought there were two kinds of Moose. The one's I got, and the other ones.

How many times have you had a Shot at a few Rabbits, or Grouse while Hunting big game?
How many times did you come to full draw on a Rabbit, only to see a Deer suddenly Stomp and Blow as you moved. [-X :mrgreen:

Hunting is a great experience. Go do it! Take a young guy with you! :D

Latest posts