'88 16ft V mod. muskiecraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LonLB said:
I had one other question.

Where did you buy all of the aluminum angle?
How much $$ do you think you had in just the aluminum?

I may have to copy your paint job. I wanted to go with rusto because of the availability and price, and when looking at their colors, I think you picked the best color combo.

I picked up all the aluminum angle at "discount steel" in Minneapolis. I bought it at the full lenth price because it is cheapest that way. I rolled my front van passenger window down and drove home with it sticking a out the window and all the way back in my van. I have a lot of money in the aluminum I didn't keep track but wood would of been cheaper for sure!

LonLB said:
This might be a dumb question, but where might I look to have the brazing work done locally?

I don't want to just add rivets and the boat I'm buying has a VHF radio antennae, and grab rails that are coming off, to just name a couple things.

Any HVAC company could probably do it for you. I don't know if they would though, it is beyond what they normally do. You are better off just going to Lowes/Home Depot/Menards/etc. and picking up a bottle of MAPP gas for $10.00 and doing the work yourself. Its not terribly difficult. The hardest part is learning how hot to heat the aluminum. It needs to get pretty darn hot to get a good bite.

Thanks for sharing your build. You answered some questions, and gave me some ideas for my 16' Alumacraft build I started, and haven't been able to finish 3 years ago. Maybe this year! :wink:

Hey all,

I private message brought me back to the forum and I thought I would give an update for anyone questioning the paint I decided to use. Bottom line is its great! I have had no flaking, pealing, or anything like that. I have run the boat to a dead stop by driving up on a sandbar once #-o and I have run up on a number of oyster beads. As you could imagine the combination of the two has left some deep scratches that have removed metal. I can't imagine anything would stand up to that torture. So yes, I do have some spots where the paint has scraped off. But I have tied the boat to a wooden dock without bumpers dozens of times, and run it hard all the time and the paint has held up as good, or better, than I ever expected it would.

My GPS has died and I have not replaced it. I am using my phone with the Cabelas hunting app as a map/gps tool. I also added a front trolling motor. It is foot operated and I want to get rid of it and replace it with a hand control model. The foot control is not for me.

Hey man love the boat nice work! Are you gonna put carpet on the plywood or just leave it as is? Just curious.