'88 16ft V mod. muskiecraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hydrilla said:
Looks great! Looks like the same color as mine. I dig it.

What paint did you paint yours with. This is what I am using.
0322321.jpg

Sand on the bottom, Hunter Green on the top. Sand on the inside.

I used Krylon indoor/outdoor paint. Only after the fact did I read that this paint isn't very good as a boat paint, oh well.

I'm pretty sure it's this kind except I think they called the color beige or tan.

261990_front500.jpg

Here is the progress from this week.

Since I decided to replace my rollers with bunks I took my trailer apart. Well, that led to project creep and I ended up deciding to paint the trailer too. I have the bottom painted and the top has been primed waiting to be painted tomorrow. The exterior of the trailer is being primed and painted with brush on rustoleum professional. Inside the channel I am using spray bomb rustoleum primer and paint. I don't think the spray bomb will hold up as well but it will work inside the trailer.

IMG_0885.jpg

The outside of the boat is completed painting. Tan on bottom and green on top.

IMG_0886.jpg

Added a little bling.

IMG_0887.jpg

I also installed the transducer mount and some "rear bling" ;)

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

This pinstripe is kind of cool. Depending on how the light is shining on it it is either green, silver, black, or somewhere in between. It shifts colors with the light.
IMG_0890.jpg

Nussy said:
Great paint job. just curious did you roll and tip or spray it on?

I rolled it. I was going to do the roll and tip but I thinned the paint 10% and it rolled on and within 30-40 seconds the air bubbles popped and it smoothed out. No tipping needed.

VBTravisD said:
You might have posted this... how many coats or primer and color did you use?

one coat of spraybomb zinc chromate and three coats of rolled on rustoleum thinned 10% of the tan and after the second coat of the green it looked thick and I decided two was enough.

This may sound rookie... but what is the benefit of thinning? A few of the areas I fish I worry about rocks or gravel scratching the hull. I am using the same paint (just OD green)...

VBTravisD said:
This may sound rookie... but what is the benefit of thinning? A few of the areas I fish I worry about rocks or gravel scratching the hull. I am using the same paint (just OD green)...

I thinned it because I wanted it to go on thinner and if needed apply more coats rather then putting it on thicker and having more bubbles to deal with. I don't think it makes much difference, you go over rocks the paint is going to come off. I debated about painting mine because I run it up on shore to beach it all the time and the sand and rocks are going to take the paint off the bottom. I decided to paint it and let the paint come off as it will. It will still look better when its floating in the water ;)

I hear ya man... And it does look great! Best hing about using rustoleum... you can get it for 8 bucks at any hardware store.

VBTravisD said:
I hear ya man... And it does look great! Best hing about using rustoleum... you can get it for 8 bucks at any hardware store.

Except for the sand. Nobody has sand around here (the tan color) I had to mail order it and pay $14 shipping :(

Oh, add a medical co-pay to the build too. I just got back from the Dr. they had to cut a hole in my leg and pull out a stainless steel wire that made itself into a self guided missile from my cup brush. **** thing!

CRAPPIE_SLAYER said:
OUCH! That thing must have been moving! Had a bunch stick in me when I was stripping the trailer, but none deep enough to be cut out.

It actually worked its way in slowly. It must of got caught in my coveralls and I didn't notice. I then went to rest my arm on my leg and could feel it poking around. I grabbed a tweezers and tried to get it out. I ended up just pushing it below the skin and I couldn't grab it anymore. Oh well, what can you do...I decided to get back to work. The boat is important :mrgreen:

A few posts back you thought that spray paint wouldn't hold up as well as rolled/brushed on. Just wondering if there is any reason for that? I'm trying to decide whether I want to use spray paint again or roll it on.

Just from my experience with spray paint. Maybe it is based in the cheap spray bombs. The paint just doesn't appear to be as durable as the brush on product. I am not sure if spray bomb rustoleum pro is the same material as brush on. My gut tells me its not. I suppose you could try and compare MSDS or email the company. Dunno, just what I was thinking. The interior on the bottom that I sprayed the tan (yellow/butter) color appears to be pretty tough. Maybe I am wrong. You should test for us. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

OK, just thought you new something I didn't. :)

I used spray rustoleum on the outside of my first build and I think it's scratched pretty easily . That was after 4 coats, sprayed about 20 minutes apart as directed. On my new build I was thinking about rolling it on like you did with the 10% thinning...but I also want to paint the inside which might be tough to do with a roller. So I was hoping I could spray the inside to match.

Decided to call Rustoleum. According to their customer service the paint in a spray can only slightly different than the regular stuff. She said they have same finish qualities and durability and should match from a color perspective. One thing she did say is not to use any rustoleum paint(including their boat paint) below the water line on an aluminum boat. She suggested contacting Pettit which is their sister company. I think the Rustoleum would probaby be fine as long as the boat isn't sitting in the water all the time.

Nussy said:
OK, just thought you new something I didn't. :)

I used spray rustoleum on the outside of my first build and I think it's scratched pretty easily . That was after 4 coats, sprayed about 20 minutes apart as directed. On my new build I was thinking about rolling it on like you did with the 10% thinning...but I also want to paint the inside which might be tough to do with a roller. So I was hoping I could spray the inside to match.

Decided to call Rustoleum. According to their customer service the paint in a spray can only slightly different than the regular stuff. She said they have same finish qualities and durability and should match from a color perspective. One thing she did say is not to use any rustoleum paint(including their boat paint) below the water line on an aluminum boat. She suggested contacting Pettit which is their sister company. I think the Rustoleum would probaby be fine as long as the boat isn't sitting in the water all the time.

Time will tell I guess. My paint is on and I can't comment on how long it will last until its been on for a while. I have no plans to sand it off and put something else on though ;)

ok, one of my soon to be final updates for a while. I have been holding off on starting my decking/wiring/plumbing/etc. because I was contacted about a job prospect. That prospect went great and now I am moving to Charleston, South Caroline before Feb. 1.

So today I am going to replace my hubs and wheels and then my motor will be going back on and the cover will be tied down after I toss as much boat stuff into it. I am going to take the boat out to my fathers and store it there while I move. After my house in MN sells I can look for a new house in SC and then come back for the boat. I will be able to hook on and drive since I am doing the hubs and wheel now ;)

With luck I hope to be working on it again in 6 months but if its a year or more then that's what it is.

So, who has an empty seat in near Charleston? :)

Latest posts