Alumacraft 14 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would use the white foam "professional" rollers, they do a good job and you can't tell it was rolled on, plus you will get more paint on the hull than the spray bombs and don't have to breathe the fumes. Use the brush where you can't get with the roller. 8)

yea, I bought thw foam rollers for the paint, but the brush marks from the primer are what is showing through. My questions is, since it looks trashy silver, do I just paint over it, or should I sand the whole thing down? I don't have a sander so it would be all by hand.

do you think if i added another coat it would look bettter? that was only the first coat.

If the brush marks show now, they will show then. Sand enough to smooth out to the finish you want, and re-paint from there.

Here is my SeaKing............Most of the lakes down near Tucson, Az. are small, electric or 10 HP and under.......You make do #-o

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20957

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15880

100_1737.jpg

100_1735.jpg

100_1491.jpg

100_1439.jpg

would it be a lot of work to sand it down to the aluminum and polish that aluminum? The brush marks cover the entire boat basically, so I would have to sand the whole thing.

That is a nice boat. I think I made my mistake when I decided to pain the hull. Seems like a lot of people don't paint that.

Ok so I haven't had much help from anyone here.

If someone could please help me out that would be great.

Primed the boat, painted it aluminum (which is ugly), want to get it back to its aluminum finish. How do I get the primer and paint off without scratching up the hull? And how to get it back to a shiny original polished aluminum finish?

Lastly, would it just be easier for me to sand the spots where the primer ran, and just paint over the silver paint but in a different color?

Not sure what kind of answers you're looking for? It seems like several people have offered suggestions. If you want a bare aluminum hull, strip the paint or sand it off. If you want to get rid of run marks you'll have to sand them down and re-paint. I think this has all been stated in this thread before I got here. In the end, it's your boat. Make it what you want and enjoy it.

Well when I was sanding it off, it started looking like it was scratching the aluminum under the paint. Should I just use paint stripper and not sand? What grit of sand do I use?

No stress Neilson,
Sandmangw said:
If the brush marks show now, they will show then. Sand enough to smooth out to the finish you want, and re-paint from there.
Use very fine (500 grit or higher) and sand just enough to smooth out the brush marks.

mmf said:
I would use the white foam "professional" rollers, they do a good job and you can't tell it was rolled on, plus you will get more paint on the hull than the spray bombs and don't have to breathe the fumes. Use the brush where you can't get with the roller. 8)
Definitely use the fine foam pro rollers...you are getting very good advise here. :)

That's the way to go... use a fine grit to sand down the paint down to where you no longer see the brush strokes (or just less visable). Then just paint over everything using mainly a roller. There is no need to strip it bare and start fresh.

Remember, you are seeing the brush strokes because you are up close and staring at it. Most folks will only notice the overall color. If you're in the water and catching fish, they won't care about the boat at all, only what kind of bait you're using. :LOL2:

Ok thanks guys. I think I made it confusing though when I said brush marks. The brush marks are everywhere in the primer, not the paint. So doesn't that mean I have to strip everything and reprime it all using a foam roller?

This would be easier if I could just call someone and explain it. #-o

enielsen said:
Well when I was sanding it off, it started looking like it was scratching the aluminum under the paint. Should I just use paint stripper and not sand? What grit of sand do I use?

since the paint is still "green", it will come off easy with stripper, just messy, if you want to go back to the aluminum hull plain (no paint), otherwise I would follow the advice on the finer grade paper till you get it like you want. It's very hard to sand "green" paint though because it will fill the paper up quickly. Also if you try to apply another coat of paint at the wrong time, I have had it wrinkle up and that is disasterious!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I figure that if I am going to do this thing, I am going to do it right. I want to take it back to it's original hull. This will be a long project, but well worth it.

20110721223746.jpg20110721223756.jpgYea I saw ur build...nice man. So I'm drenched in sweat because it is 95 out and I'm scraping away at this boat. As I a scrape off the paint I am using 150 grit to sand out the oxidation. It is the finish I want but is leaving some swirls from the sandpaper. But at this rate its going to take forever.

when you get done removing the paint, you can take a scotchbrite pad and remove some of the scratch marks or go to a fine grit paper, then you can go buy a box of brillo pads (with the soap) and scrub the hull with them, it is a lot of work, when you start with the brillo pads, you will be able to feel the "drag" as you scrub across the surface, then as you continue, it will start getting real slick, attached pictures is the last one I scrubbed down like that. If I owned an orbital polisher (has two heads) I would have polished it to a mirror shine like the way they do the airstream campers but I did not take the time to do it........
cleaning%252520saratoga%252520007.jpg

cleaning%252520saratoga%252520002.jpg

Here is a antique Crestliner that has been mirror polished and a feathercraft mirror polished too
1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

here is a feathercraft polished
rangerII%252520003.jpg

Those are exactly what I want! So when I get the paint off and I sand, it is ok if I still have those swirls as long as I use polish that you were talking about? Love the pics!

enielsen said:
Those are exactly what I want! So when I get the paint off and I sand, it is ok if I still have those swirls as long as I use polish that you were talking about? Love the pics!
No, you will have to get the hull smooth with alot finer grit than the 150 you are using, you should go to 400 then 1000 then 1200, alot of work!

Latest posts