Alumacraft 14 Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Simon, thanks a lot. I have put in a lot of work but I could have just went with my gut and painted it the right way to start. O well, we live and we learn. I haven't seen anyone with a smoke grey and black boat so I hope this will be a first.

Need some help. How Should I build my deck like shown, or just use the front two benches and leave a bench seat? Also, if you notice that my gas cap sticks up above the seat, should I build up the deck to cover it?blueprint1.jpgblueprint2.jpg

If every single board isn't exactly level to the nearest degree with the other boards will it be ok? Also, should I take my decks out and stain/waterproof them or just leave them in the boat and do it?

enielsen said:
If every single board isn't exactly level to the nearest degree with the other boards will it be ok? Also, should I take my decks out and stain/waterproof them or just leave them in the boat and do it?
Personally, I would do that all out of the boat so it's easier to get to your board ends. Also, about your leveling question as long as it is fairly level you should be ok. Screwing down your decking will tighten everything up but as close to level as possible is ideal. Wood tolerances are much easier to work with than metal so you have an advantage there.

Boats coming right along though, keep the pics coming. I'm looking to get a project boat started soon, I'm just trying to get my off road camp trailer finished up first. Trying to limit myself to one project at a time :)

Cheers,

As long as there isn't a huge discrepancy in the boards, you will be fine. As the previous post states, screwing in the plywood will take care of them being a little off. Before you screw down the plywood/deck. Put it in place and walk around on it. If there is any sagging, you may want to add more support underneath. That will also answer your question on a potential leveling problem.

Keep up the good work.

Thakns for the help guys, I actually used a small shim in one spot and I have it leveled perfect. I just sprayed the inside of the boat today with truck bedliner. Rough finish and it has great grip. I am trying to buy a cd player that I can hook hup and a new trolling motor that is foot controlled. I just don't know how I am going to hook up the cd player since it is a car cd player. I am planning on installing speakers in the plywood. But again, I need to find the ones I want. Tough waiting on stuff! I need an auxillary switch board so I can turn everything on and off. Where do you find those. PS...Took all the wood out so I could stian/waterproof.

Do I screw in the plywood for the deck before i put the frame back in the boat or do I put the frame in, and then put deck top on top of it after gluing carpet?

As far as what order to put things back in I think it really comes down to personal preference and whether or not you want visible deck screws over the carpet. As far as the switching mechanisms and car stereo https://www.rocktheboataudio.com/ has some great options that will give you more of an all weather solution. Costs a little more but worth it in the end if it's something you really want in your boat.

Cheers,

How do I make the floor for my middle sections that is not having a deck? Do I use 2x2s or what?

Does anyone know how I should build my floor for my middle section (only section that won't be deck)?!?!?

I put down some marine plywood in the bottom of mine. You could easily put down carpeted plywood if that is your preference. There are many examples on this site for different ways you could do the bottom.

I simply laid the floor on some aluminum that I riveted to the floor supports. The aluminum creates an even/flat bottom support for the plywood floor. It is a large, roughly a 4' x 6' piece of 3/4" marine plywood that fits snug between two bench seats. My boat is a 14" semi v-hull Alumacraft (cir. 1960) very similar to yours. I took out the middle seat. The floor is quite heavy and helped with the stability of my boat. I have a seat base mounted to the plywood and aluminum underneath. Those six bolts fasten the plywood to the floor. With all my gear, ice chest, etc., the floor isn’t going to move.

I didn't know you could fasten stuff to those floor supports. I might just leave it bare. Could I make a box frame out of wood and just use that without fastening it down?

Ok, so I found the thread that talked about when and when not to deck. My deck as it is now, will sit about 3 or 4 inches under the top rail of the side of the boat. People are saying that I shouldn't deck higher than the seats. I am currently set up to deck a 2x4s width (so a little under 2 inches) higher than the seats...should I redo all my framing to make it even with the seats?

I found the thread that talked about when and when not to deck. My deck as it is now, will sit about 3 or 4 inches under the top rail of the side of the boat. People are saying that I shouldn't deck higher than the seats. I am currently set up to deck a 2x4s width (so a little under 2 inches) higher than the seats...should I redo all my framing to keep it at seat height???