Alumacraft 1648 Project - Getting Ready, Again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally took the time this afternoon to finish the bilge pump installation I started 2 weeks ago. I got my box of "boat stuff" that I have collected during my build and checked it out. I really didn't need to buy much more than the pump, hose and through hull fitting. I used 3M Marine Silicone to glue the base of the pump to the hull. I installed the switch in my battery box. This is about as simple as installation as there is. Put the trolling motor back on and it was "Miller Time". :LOL2:

Attachments

• 021112 008.jpg
    021112 008.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 1,755
  • 021112 007.jpg
    021112 007.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,755
  • 021112 006.jpg
    021112 006.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 1,755
  • 021112 003.jpg
    021112 003.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 1,753
  • 012912 003P.jpg
    012912 003P.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 1,755
  • Bilge Pump 003P.jpg
    Bilge Pump 003P.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1,753
  • 021112 005.jpg
    021112 005.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,755
Probably a stupid question but isn't the drain plug supposed to be on the outside of the hull drain? That way the water pressure cannot push it out of the hole. It keeps pushing it tighter...or so it would seem.

JasonLester said:
Probably a stupid question but isn't the drain plug supposed to be on the outside of the hull drain? That way the water pressure cannot push it out of the hole. It keeps pushing it tighter...or so it would seem.

Your logic is logical, but one reason for it to be on the inside is if you were to start taking on water or to be swamped you can just fire up the engine, gun it, pul the plug and let the water drain out, then plug it back up.

I have never seen on one the outside...think about it. If the plug did for some reason get popped from pressure...which I have never heard of, at least you could grab the plug and stick it back in.

On the flip side if the plug fell out for some reason, wether the handle got snagged on something or it got pushed out from the inside somehow, your plug is now gone for good and you are screwed.

Mine threads in.

Actually I have put drain plugs in from both the inside and outside on different boats I have had. My last boat was a deep v with a rear casting deck (factory installed) with very poor access to the drain from the inside of the hull, so I put it in from the outside. On this boat the drain tube is welded into the hull and the bead of weld makes it almost impossible to get the plug to seal if you put it in from the outside.
I also carry a spare wire tied to the transom. :LOL2:

Attachments

• 021212 001.jpg
    021212 001.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 1,703
  • 021212 003.jpg
    021212 003.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,703
gillhunter said:
...On this boat the drain tube is welded into the hull and the bead of weld makes it almost impossible to get the plug to seal if you put it in from the outside...
mine is the same way. I can't even get it in from the outside.

In most bigger boats the plug is on the outside, but thats because the come standard with the bilge pump. My dads 19ft starcraft deep v has a plug on the outside.

I guess I am just used to fiberglass boats. My grandfathers bass boat (and every other one I have looked at) it was from the outside. It actually always worried me on it getting snagged or something. But it never was a problem. My Wellcraft openbow is outside. I am not sure you could even get to it from the inside. Although with that boat you could leave it out and it will float. (I know because the bellows on my outdrive had a big rip in it for a while... :shock: )

I can see how putting it in from the outside isn't possible on that one...I guess as long as its tight enough it won't push out.

I actually just installed the Seasense drain on my boat because it didn't have one. I got the one with the check ball in it. So even if I forget to install the plug it stops water from coming in. Don't know how well it works yet.

I've been stealing ideas from you and Jay415 like crazy! Nice work! Imitation is the best form of flattery! =D>

Will post progress on my 1448 flat shortly!

Thanks,
Paul

fullpage said:
I've been stealing ideas from you and Jay415 like crazy! Nice work! Imitation is the best form of flattery! =D>

Thanks,
Paul
haha, This build is why I got started! a lot of my ideas came from this build!! Gillhunter is a great woodworker and has been a great help!!

Jay415 said:
fullpage said:

Thanks,
Paul
haha, This build is why I got started! a lot of my ideas came from this build!! Gillhunter is a great woodworker and has been a great help!!

Thanks guys. Tinboats is a really fun place, with really great people. =D> =D> Jay has a great build going and I'm looking forward to seeing your's Paul.

Looks good gillhunter. I am wanting carpet on my decks but believe it will speed up wood rot. What type of carpet did you use and where did you get it? Also, did you coat lumber with resin or paint to give it more life? Trying to figure out what is the best way to increase deck life. Thinking of going with aluminum with carpet but just hate to dump so much cash into a project that already is thirsty enough.

GGUG said:
Looks good gillhunter. I am wanting carpet on my decks but believe it will speed up wood rot. What type of carpet did you use and where did you get it? Also, did you coat lumber with resin or paint to give it more life? Trying to figure out what is the best way to increase deck life. Thinking of going with aluminum with carpet but just hate to dump so much cash into a project that already is thirsty enough.

Gerard, I used 16 oz. carpet from Bass Pro Shop. The wife put several coats of Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane on the decking. In my opinion that the best way to increase deck life is to allow the boat to dry out if it gets rained on and then either store it with a good cover or inside. Good luck with your project!

Attachments

• 14 inst deck a.jpg
    14 inst deck a.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,689
  • Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    Boat Stuff 004.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 1,690
love love love your boat mod! gonna steal a few ideas from your completely awesome build!

question: when you were attaching the carpeted new wood flooring to the aluminum, you said you used stainless screws - can you explain why you didn't use stainless toggle bolts?
i'm having a bit of a hard time finding them around nashville, and if regular stainless screws would do the trick, i'll go that route! i'm just a little worried about squeaking down the road, or loosened screws that may not hold for long...
if self-tapping stainless screws are the best answer, what size did you use?
thanks a million!
again, EXCELLENT MOD!!!
~fran

Very nice conversion. I like your pole rack next to the door, handy when escaping to go fishing.

Thanks franner,
I used regular stainless screws that are available at Lowes or Home Depot. They are not self tapping. I pilot drilled all the holes and screwed them in by hand. I have used the boat for a full season and towed it a couple of thousand miles and nothing has loosened up, no squeaks.

I didn't use toggle bolts because my seats are foam filled and I didn't want to drill larger holes for the toggles and have to remove foam. I'm sure that there are applications where toggle bolts are the best solution.

Attachments

• Boat Stuff 001.jpg
    Boat Stuff 001.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,654
  • Boat Stuff 002.jpg
    Boat Stuff 002.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,653
7designs said:
Very nice conversion. I like your pole rack next to the door, handy when escaping to go fishing.

Thanks, My wife has claimed the rest of the house so my garage is my "man cave". Fishing gear, boat and a fridge full of beer, what else does one need? :LOL2: :LOL2:

Latest posts