Anyone fish in NJ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leelatt

Reaction score
as the topic states, anyone here fish in New Jersey at all?

so, any recommendations on good places to fish?

I ask because I got my tracker 1542 back in may, I've taken it to a few places, Carnegie lake, mercer county lake and Assunpink lake, but had almost no luck what so ever, out of the 9 or so trips I've taken the boat out on, I've probably only caught less than 10 fish and none were keepers, as far as fishing from the shore, I see people catching decent size fish so I know they're in there, but no luck. I usually fish at my local pond and it's pretty good, has a large variety of fish to catch but I can't get my boat in as there isn't a launch, dock or ramp anywhere sadly.

so any advice on good spots in NJ would be appreciated.

:twisted: Yeah Man!!! :mrgreen: I fished Assunpink for the first time this year for my club tourney. Nice body of water. One member caught a largie just under 7lbs on a shakey head. Been to Mercer a few times. Most of my freshwater fishing is in Cumberland, Salem and Atlantic counties.

I'll have to try some shaky heads, I mostly use rooster tails, spinners and then the usual Texas rig, hoping with the FF I'll be able to find some structure out in the middle of the water so I'm not limited to trolling the shore line and just guessing where they could be.

what lakes/ponds do you fish at in those counties, any suggestions? I plan to try and take the boat out every weekend once the spring hits, but not sure which places have ramps and what motors they allow. Mercer is a bit hypocritical as they say absolutely no gas motors yet they allow the rowing teams to use 25 HP motors and the rowing teams don't care about making large wakes when passing by.

:twisted: You ever fish Spruce Run up near your way? Now thats a great fishery.
Most of the waters down here are way smaller and shallower then up North. Only Union Lake in Millville allows gas motors(10HP limit).

All great fisheries you mentioned, do a camping/fishing trip up to Swartzwood Lake. Try throwing some plastics, JDBaits (sponsor) makes an awsome bait.

Fellow Jersey guy here. I've actually fished Carnegie quite often and still do at times, as it's about 20 minutes from my house. Haven't done too much fishing as of recent, but Carnegie's... well, disgusting, getting more disgusting, and I'd recommend you don't waste your time. I used to actually haul decent bass out of there years ago, but it's really gone to the dumps. I've done really well on the Delaware River by Washington's Crossing, the first and only place I've caught smallies. I've heard great things about Spruce Run also, and although I can't say I've personally ever been there, it's always been one of those sweet spots in Central NJ. Besides, I've fished Round Valley Reservoir (right down the road) a fair amount recently, and believe me, even if you don't catch anything, the view itself is well worth the trip :D

IMG_2453.jpg

Where in NJ are you from by the way?

if you ever get down south by Atlantic City,check out Bargaintown Lake in Linwood.More of a pond than a lake,electric only,but lots of fish,and some good size ones.

snips said:
if you ever get down south by Atlantic City,check out Bargaintown Lake in Linwood.More of a pond than a lake,electric only,but lots of fish,and some good size ones.

:twisted: We have a club tournament there every year. Nice place!!

I'm planning on making a trip to Spruce run soon, maybe even up to Hopatcong, but been busy with working on the boat, adding in a console, switches, pumps, etc.

I'm in plainsboro NJ, the closest lake with boat access is Carnegie, after that I'd say mercer county park (was way too shallow last summer, kept grounding or hitting stumps) and then Assunpink lake. There's always Plainsboro pond but there isn't any area to launch the boat safely, but I've caught some decent sized small mouth and large mouth bass there, they swim the channel under the bridge constantly, the catfish are a decent size too.

best fishing so far with my boat was at my aunt and uncles lake house upstate NY, lake is filled with pickerel and muskie, average size of the pickerel was 36 inches and the muskie were huge, no bass unfortunately.

Leelatt said:
.............best fishing so far with my boat was at my aunt and uncles lake house upstate NY, lake is filled with pickerel and muskie, average size of the pickerel was 36 inches and the muskie were huge, no bass unfortunately.
Why would you want to catch bass if you could catch a muskie ??? :shock:

Latest posts