Brand new 1648 alumacraft jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend and i have similar 16 foot utility v boats that weigh around 300 lbs. He has a honda 20hp and i have an etec 25. With two people in his boat, we get around 18 mph, with 3 people it was around 15 iirc. With three people in my boat we did 25. If you are fishing with people more often then alone, i would go with more power.

Go 35. I just put a new Merc 40 on my 16. Haven't broke it in but got 30mph at 3/4 throttle yesterday. Had to re-trim the weight in the boat but the new motor runs so good I don't mind the extra weight.
Buying a new motor for 5hp isn't worth the effort. 25hp is a bit underpowered for a 16 I think. Depending if you want to go faster or shallower.

Your v boat is much different then a flat bottom jon boat. A flat bottom will always run faster,plane much faster and easier with less or the same power.For rabbit my boat is only rated for a 35 which is stupid because no one makes a 35 new. Your boat must be a different model then mine. The boat I have is a plane jane flat bottom jon boat and a 20hp should move it with ease from all the info I'm gathering from local people I know. I do understand what your saying if I ran 3 or more people all the time the 25 would be well worth it but it's mostly going to be me or me with a friend. No doubt a 25 would add more top end and power but I don't think as much as people think. From my local dealer who sells heavy sea ark all welded boats,they pair the 1648 with the 20 and 25hp mercs and it's only a few mph difference but the power while planning is more noticeable he said. He said mid 20s to even 28mph is possible with one in the boat,with 2 he said you should get 23-25mph. I tend to believe that from all the YouTube videos I have watched. If a 900lb tracker 16ft pro v can get 25mph with a 20hp merc(same engine)then this boat can get mid 20s easily. I may just keep it for now,experiment with it and see how it runs then If feel it's underpowered I will go with either the 25 zuki or etec.

I have an old Tracker Grizzly Bass 16 mod V. Stick steer so 40hp is max. I was very surprised today that because I re-trimmed the weight, I can go into one foot of water below the transducer where before, with the old lighter motor I could only go into 1'4" minimum. I'm so happy with the new mill. The difference between the old smoker and the new mill is like night and day. It's smoother, idles lower, uses less fuel and has lots more torque. Got 5 hours on it now. When conditions are right and I open it up WOT I think I'm going to get 35 or better MPH where the old one got 30. I've already seen 30 at 3/4 throttle.
I use the boat for touring and I don't fish much. Sometimes I'll put 50, 60 miles or more a day on it. Sometimes I go way back into the swamp so dependability is a bigger issue than if I was putting around the bay.
It all depends on what you need and the guys who suggest you try the 20 first are right. If it planes then it's good but if you want more go for as much as you can get.
Cheers

The biggest reason i don't want to just unload the tohatsu also is i got it for only $2400 tax and all included.That is a unreal price considering i just went to a boat show in tampa and the cheapest i could find this same outboard was over 3k.I asked over 6 tohatsu dealers there and they were all near $2900+tax =over 3k.I told them what i had paid and they said that is near impossible since they cost more to buy,i told them well i have the receipt if you like to see it and they were shocked and couldn't believe it.They said you better keep that motor for that price because you basically stole it for that,lol.

I have a real gift for finding new motors really cheap.I just wait it out to find that right deal and wheel and deal with the dealer i find and i guess you can call it lucking out at the time.The suzuki is close to $3500 but i can get it for near $3300 but in any event it's still $900 more for only 5hp.I got the 5yr warranty with it also and it is a brand new 2015 model so it wasn't a leftover.

It's hard to get rid of this for what i paid.I am going to wait till my boat comes in on march 4th then put the wood floor in and all the things i need and then test run it on my local lake,if worse comes to worse i can sell it for what i paid or even make a few bucks if i don't like how it performs but i have a feeling it will do just fine.I also added a 11 pitch prop which will give it some more top end.I will just have to wait a week to test it out and see were i'm at.As long as i get near the mid 20's or close to it with 2 people i will be satisfied.

Are you sure that motor will spin a 11 pitch prop, with that size boat?
Wouldn't want to lug that new motor.
Good luck with whatever you decide...

Easily will spin a 11pitch prop,I had a 20hp 4stroke suzuki that spun a 11 pitch prop and this tohatsu has a better gear ratio,that suzuki was a power house so I know this tohatsu will do it with no issues.

I had to actually run a 11 pitch prop because it had so much power it would over rev and this tohatsu has just as much power or more. I will see how it runs of course and if by chance it were to lug which I'm positive it won't but if some how it did I would go back to the 10 pitch prop it came with.

Ok,just found a even bigger boat then mine,a guy has a brand new 1652 lowe jon boat which is even bigger and wider then mine,weighs in at 450lbs and he has a brand new 20hp 4stroke mercury which is the same engine as mine just the features are different,exact same power head and with 2 guys and gear he got 27mph gps,3 people he got 24mph gps and with 4 got 21mph gps,those are some impressive numbers for a 20hp 4 stroke outboard if you ask me. Especially on a boat that big and heavy,now I can't wait to test this boat and motor out. I could handle those speeds with no issues,that is perfect to me.

That's also with a stock 10 pitch prop, a 11pitch prop should easily top those speeds,ok now I'm getting excited,lol. I always wanted this 1648,just never had the money till now,what a difference it's going to be from a 1436.

Those are really good numbers.
My 1652 only weighs 360 and with a 30hp only gets 27/28 mph..it does have a jet tunnel though.
I'd be interested to know what his rpms are, going that fast with a smaller pitch prop.

I believe it's the stock 10 pitch prop,possibly a 11 pitch prop at best,either way that is some amazing numbers,it's possible with the perfect tilt,trim,prop and a really calm day. Like I said if I get just in the mid 20s I would be extremely happy.

UPDATE::::So i have been knocking around the idea of getting the 25hp suzuki but it it's near $1000 more.So i went to order the 20hp when i talked to the owner who is a real stand up guy and has given me deal after deal on outboards.I asked how much difference is there between the 25hp and the 20.He said night and day.The 25 is a 489cc 3 cylinder and the 20hp is 327cc 2 cylinder.I asked him the best deal he could do as the price was near $3500.I really didn't want to pay that much so he gave it to me for only $3300 which was awesome and on top of that it has a 6yr warranty and it gets better,it has a $200 rebate check i get back.So the 20 was $2575 total and i couldn't pass the 25 for only $525 more and 3yr of extra warranty,i would be a complete fool.i'm kind of in shock at the price i got it at.

I can't wait to get this 25hp.I have never owned a new 25hp besides a 25hp efi merc and i just hated it as it was a dog and was so darn heavy.The suzuki is only 136lbs,that is extremely light for a 25hp,lightest in it's class and efi.Now it comes with a 11 pitch prop and he thinks there is no doubt it will over rev my 310 1648 and thinks i should step up to a 12 or even 13 pitch.Any help on this now.I got the motor coming.They are on back order and are coming in on weds and ships out the same day so it will be here on fri or monday which is fine.So now i must decide to go with a 12 or 13pitch.I'm thinking 13 since it will be me and me and my friend most of the time.The 13 should make us fly.

Lol...u sure do change ur mind a lot...
That being said[emoji4]...I'm really looking forward to your reviews on that outboard. I can't seem to find much if anything on them.
If this is any help I use a 13"prop on my 30hp...I drop to a 11" with heavy loads.
My motor is an old 87 Mariner(yam) , boat 1652 with jet tunnel...360lbs.

I know,i have ocd about this stuff,lol.I went in the middle,12pitch.The dealer i bought it from said that would be perfect for what i want to do and should not over rev like the 11 pitch would.Now i don't have to be scared to add some weight to the boat as i was with the 20hp.I want to deck it out but i was trying to figure out how to do it without adding so much weight.Now i have no worries and can deck away,lol.I just couldn't pass this deal up especially when i may never get this chance again having the money.I know this is a investment so it's well worth it and the nicer part is if i want to down the road even upgrade to a 1652 or even the 1852 lowe this motor will have that extra power i would need to get it going.I'm excited. :mrgreen:

The 25 hp Etec I had came with a 10.3x12 prop. I had it on an Alumacraft v-16 utility boat that probably weighed around 325 lbs or so. It didn't over rev and it still did fine when i had 3 people in the boat.

I think the 12 pitch will be good.

jy951 said:
The 25 hp Etec I had came with a 10.3x12 prop. I had it on an Alumacraft v-16 utility boat that probably weighed around 325 lbs or so. It didn't over rev and it still did fine when i had 3 people in the boat.

I think the 12 pitch will be good.
That is exactly what i was thinking.I looked at the etec's specifically because i think this motor has near the same power and it's lighter.Power to weight with this motor is unreal.It almost throws you off the back of the boat from what i have watched in the videos.Allot of that is a great gear ratio of 2.09 and it's a 3 cylinder to boot.I wanted a etec but the cheapest i found was $3495 plus 7% sales tax and they even wanted a extra $90 to tune it to run on the 100:1 instead of the factory setting it comes with at 50:1.

I think they set it at 50:1 to 1 so the dealer can make extra money because almost everyone is going to run it at 100:1 because it runs cleaner and saves on a ton of oil.Why else would they do that.Why wouldn't evinrude just set it at 100:1 when they know everyone is going to run it on that setting,makes not one bit of sense to me unless what i said.

After taxes and the tune up it would have ran me $3835 and i got a just as good outboard for only $3100.I'm not in any way shape or form knocking the etec ,i'm just saying they are way,way over priced imo.Plus suzuki is catching up real fast is the 4stroke department to the dfi outboards.So far the suzuki is 10lbs lighter then any other outboard of equal size,near 20lbs less then a merc/tohatsu/honda and almost 50lbs lighter then a yamaha

Like i said the etecs are awesome motors and if it was a bit closer in price i may of got one but for $700 more i just had to pass.I got a 6yr warranty which i will probably never use i hope and a $200 rebate.I got a killer deal considering i went to a boat show at the end of feb and this motor their was over 4k from every dealer there i asked,i almost fainted.Man i tell ya these darn outboards are getting pricey.

Those prices seem too good to be true. I would be very skeptical.

It's a scam,the guy that just bought my tohatsu lost $1900 to them. Think about it a company that raves of how big they are and their prices has one payment process,just one,wire transfer. Why? Because it can't be traced and you lose. Dealers can't even get them that cheap from the manufacturer. Don't waste your hard earned money if your thinking on doing that,especially when one person just lost $1900. His banker told him once they released the money that's it and he did and lost it. A major company like that would take all major credit cards,cash or just about any payment,they don't. Buy from a local dealer or as I do Cumberland water sports. They are hands down the best prices on the planet.