Do I want a jet lower???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with some of the ones mentioned but my boat seems to perform great in big lake and today I found out I can easily go in 3"-4" of water but not in 1/2"... [-X
I have a 115 yamaha four stroke and it runs as fast as I want in shallow water. I am not sure of top end but I would guess 35ish. It's a very roomy boat with a large front and rear deck with plenty of room left over in the center. Have the 2072 MVJT from SeaArk.
All jet boats are good jet boats in my opinion. Like mentioned above its all in the hat you like and do with it!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 2,244
If you want a cookie cutter bass boat style setup, then the Alweld and Legend SS are great boats. If you want something a bit more custom, I'd look in to Blazer. I'm running an 1860 Legend SS semi V with a 150/105 Etec as mentioned previously and love it. It will push me 39mph up the Gasconade and 43 down. An 1856 Alweld with a 150 will be a touch faster since it's narrower.

The one big complaint I have about the 2014 and newer Legend/Weldcrafts is that they only come with a 19 gallon aluminum tank instead of the 36 gallon plastic tank in the 2013 and older. A buddy just had a custom 2015 Alweld built for him and it still came with a 30 gallon plastic tank. Makes me really wish I had decided to upgrade rigs in 2013 instead of 2014. The EPA can suck it! :x

Sold the Xpress today... So bittersweet...

Anyways have decided to not go the surface drive route. I'm convinced the noise would give me migraines. Loud noises have a way of doing that to me, I have to wear ear plugs when I operate small equipment and mow.

I've also broadened my search to smaller jets and tiller steer. I figure if I was going to be ok with a 37hp surface drive I should expand my search into 40 jets. I know it's a far cry from where I started. There are so many to choose from...

Leaning towards a Blazer 1852 with Merc 40. My wife is thrilled I've lowered my "expectations" since it will save money! Spoke with Blazer and a couple dealers, waiting to hear back from them. The blazer crew seemed real friendly when I spoke with them. First boat manufacturer I have spoken with that has taken the time to explain things they do and why they do them. Seems like a family operation from what I gathered, I like that.

It's amazing to me the difference between different dealers - completely different attitudes, prices, and personalities. I sold my boat through a local dealer through consignment, and when it sold they said "We'll get with you on some new boat prices soon". Personally if I was a dealer and I had just sold a boat and they guy was shopping I'd have a stack of quotes in hand ready to sign on the bottom line!!! They are very friendly though and were easy to deal with so no deal just kinda surprised...

We'll see... It's been a few weeks now since I've been on a boat and the itch is starting to get worse LOL! :evil:

I looked around on the web and looked at a couple of new boats in person but just couldn't talk myself into a new boat. I kept thinking I wanted a center console since that's what I've had in a bunch of fiberglass boats. I saw my Lowe 1652 for sale but it had a 40 hp prop motor so I kept passing by the ad. I finally emailed the guy for some extra pictures and noticed it was a jet tunnel (his ad never mentioned or showed it). I bought the boat and started looking for a jet and stumbled on a Mercury 60/45 for a really good price. I think it's a great combination for how I use a boat, I just want to move the console forward now to balance out the weight better. I still really like the SeaArk 1660 but doubt I will find one like I want near me. I think you would find a well equipped 1650 to 1760 boat would work well. I'm glad I bought used in case I had any doubts I wouldn't have too much invested.

My luck I could look for months and never find one I'm looking for used, until 1 month after I purchased a new boat! :LOL2:

JL8Jeff said:
I looked around on the web and looked at a couple of new boats in person but just couldn't talk myself into a new boat. I kept thinking I wanted a center console since that's what I've had in a bunch of fiberglass boats. I saw my Lowe 1652 for sale but it had a 40 hp prop motor so I kept passing by the ad. I finally emailed the guy for some extra pictures and noticed it was a jet tunnel (his ad never mentioned or showed it). I bought the boat and started looking for a jet and stumbled on a Mercury 60/45 for a really good price. I think it's a great combination for how I use a boat, I just want to move the console forward now to balance out the weight better. I still really like the SeaArk 1660 but doubt I will find one like I want near me. I think you would find a well equipped 1650 to 1760 boat would work well. I'm glad I bought used in case I had any doubts I wouldn't have too much invested.

I mite suggest 2 boats that fit your needs https://www.rockproofboats.com/hullconstruction.html https://www.firefish.ca/boats.php https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwbj5xmAHo&sns=em https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nhmy__UIok

Goaround said:
My luck I could look for months and never find one I'm looking for used, until 1 month after I purchased a new boat! :LOL2:

Yeah, I got really lucky with my timing. And the 40 hp Evinrude prop motor is actually pretty low hours so I now have that as a spare or for another future boat. I've done well buying used boats the last 10-15 years and have pretty much broken even on almost all of them when it was time to move on to something else. I've been boating for 26 years and last year was my first aluminum boat so I wasn't sure what to look for or how much to spend, now I have 2 of them!

riverbud55 said:
I mite suggest 2 boats that fit your needs https://www.rockproofboats.com/hullconstruction.html https://www.firefish.ca/boats.php https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmwbj5xmAHo&sns=em https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Nhmy__UIok

I love that Frenzy from Firefish but I'm sure it's double what I'm now looking at, I bet that boat would be the bomb tho!

The saga continues. Got pre-approved for a loan so I could order a boat, but apparently hoops have to be jumped through just to find out of the bank will loan on a particular boat...
Who knew that buying a new boat could be so difficult?

I'm attempting to purchase a 1852 Blazer SS with a 60/40 if it falls through I'll probably try to get a Alweld.

Well this story comes to a close... Not quite the way I expected it to end but an ending none the less.

Blazer = no go :(
Alweld = no go :evil:

Despite the dealers attempting to work with my bank and having excellent credit scores and debt/income, it just wasn't meant to be. Maybe I have unrealistic expectations, but I wanted terms me and my wife would be happy with not what would "put me in this boat".

I have a new Xpress 1660 CC Jet ordered with a 90/65. It's going to be awhile till it comes in but at least the search is over with. I very nearly ordered a G3 1656 but reading all the fellows say "wish it just had a little more umph" I made my decision.

Thanks everyone for input, I will take pics and post them up after the boat arrives......in June...

Congrats!

I have a buddy with a different model Xpress. It's a very nice boat. A 1660 with a 90/65 should reeeally scoot.

Thanks! I had no issues with the Xpress I had before, it was a tough boat! I'm crossing fingers that it runs over 30 without breaking a sweat!

duckfish said:
Congrats!

I have a buddy with a different model Xpress. It's a very nice boat. A 1660 with a 90/65 should reeeally scoot.

Well it's here! I've been very busy so I haven't had a chance to take some pics of it just yet.

BUT

The infamous Xpress attention to detail has already bitten me. Hell I didn't even make it home from the dealer (20 minute drive) without damage... Seems no one tightened the bolt holding the shaft on the front of the trailer that has the winch on it. Hit a construction zone and the trailer started the back and forth rocking and pop it comes off - still attached by the winch to the boat. Bangs around a bit the boat slowly rocks it's way back and forth before I'm able to pull in a parking lot around 6" on the trailer making it impossible for me to reattach the post. Lets just say a herculean effort on my behalf got me home. BTW my back and sides hurts today... Anyways once home I drilled the stem and put a bolt through it. That won't happen again. But have a couple nasty dings in the front of the boat and it hasn't even been on the water yet!!! :cry:

Also they put a 3" bow roller on and it's meant to have a 4". To make it fit without the metal ears hanging way out they just bent them in - looked goofy and cheap. Picked up a 4" at Academy today picking up a few items and put a pipe wrench on the metal ears and bent them straight again.

BUT the boat itself looks really nice, even my wife was impressed. I will try to get some pics up tomm for you guys. I think it could possibly be the first 1660 Xpress Jet photos online. :roll:

Sorry to hear that man!
You sound way more calm than I would be! Since you were towing it I'd bet your car insurance would cover it & they'd likely go after the dealer because it was their fault so it prolly wouldn't effect ur policy... In case your thinking about filling a claim it might be worth a call to chat with someone about.

Meh I've decided it's not worth it to get it fixed. I'm gonna scratch it up anyways! 8)

Please excuse the garage, I know it's a mess. I was working on getting it ready while the wife's car was out and snapped a quick pic. I'll get some better ones eventfully. Right now were waiting for the tropical storm remains to hit Arkansas... As if we didn't have enough flooding already...

Attachments

• IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,735
D@m, that's a sweet looking boat! I waned to paint my Lowe white but couldn't find the time to seriously try it. I would still mention to the dealer what happened, they should at least acknowledge it and offer some recourse.

JL8Jeff said:
D@m, that's a sweet looking boat! I waned to paint my Lowe white but couldn't find the time to seriously try it. I would still mention to the dealer what happened, they should at least acknowledge it and offer some recourse.

Yea I talked to them and they said they would do whatever it took to repair or cover it up, depending on what I wanted. I'm just not concerned about it so much as I was miffed that I didn't make it home without incident. :|

Ninja edit - BTW it's not actually "white". It's like a ivory/off-white.

Yeah, I wouldn't want white, it's too bright so it would need to be an off-white. Great looking boat, enjoy it!

Latest posts